Singapore Expats

Chances of PR approval for Science Ph.D degree holder

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
siveenks

Chances of PR approval for Science Ph.D degree holder

Post by siveenks » Mon, 20 May 2013 12:48 pm

Hi all,

I have read a lot about the chances and requirements for PR approval. In my case, I am an Indian married working on an S-Pass for just over an year. I earn 3.5k per month, just renewed the S-Pass after 1 year.

I know being Indian reduces my chance for a PR, but I want to know wether my educational qualification of having a Ph.D. (Immunology) from an Indian University (Full time course) have a god impact which can cover my race and salary problems. I am working in National university of Singapore, as a research assistant in cancer research and drug discovery field. I received my Ph.D degree awarded just a month back, so could not get a change in post or pay scale due to delay in getting certificates. My pay scale will be same for next one year and by next year mid, I hope it would change to 4.5-5k per month.

So, is it OK to give a try on PR on this year on should I wait for next year's salary update.

Another part is that my wife is also in singapore on a Trainee Employment Pass, as an unpaid trainee in NUS. As she is not a dependent pass holder of me, can i add her along with my PR application. If yes, Is it a positive factor that my wife is having a Master's degree (Indian University) and having a TEP.

I am looking for feed back from experienced users of this forum as I cannot find any details on the impact of having a PH.D degree on PR application, not even about persons from science stream. All discussion in this forum seems to be from IT or banking sector area, which I think is not having much unofficial- quota from ICA.

Thank you all in advance for helping me....

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 20 May 2013 3:10 pm

Indian, only 1 year in SG, a PhD with a low salary, wife has no paying job - I would not bother applying.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 May 2013 3:31 pm

I think you should wait until 3 years, especially for your pay to be adjusted to your PhD before considering.

Too short.

angry scientist

Post by angry scientist » Mon, 20 May 2013 4:42 pm

You should certainly wait a bit to have a reasonable chance..perhaps try after 2 years with enough evidence related to job progression -improved title (from Research Asst to postdoc, salary (3.5 k to 4.5 or so- dont expect 5k being a fresh PhD) and productivity (publications) etc. An income for wife and male child in 2 years will certainly improve your chances.

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Mon, 20 May 2013 11:00 pm

Unfortunately being a PhD holder could be a disadvantage in applying for PR or even EP in Singapore because they are now judging qualification with salary level. A PhD who earn 4K-4.5K is at the bottom level of all PhDs in Singapore and can be considered as "cheap labour" or undesirable with the new way of thinking in Singapore "about foreign" talents now. Similarly for people with Masters degree from NUS/NTU and earning 3K salary, they gonna face harsh reality when they renew their EP not to mention about PR

enslaved

Post by enslaved » Tue, 21 May 2013 12:20 pm

One who was earning around 4.5K as Research Associate in NUS (it is a higher position to research assistant or research fellow), got his PR application rejected 3 years ago. Now the situation is even worse.

It is interesting to note that fresh PhDs are given S-Pass now. That was not the case earlier. I think this is fare, as academic research at fresh PhD level is really not a great profession. It is more like educational upgrading. It becomes a profession only if he/she is able to get a tenure of teaching in universities.

angry scientist

Post by angry scientist » Tue, 21 May 2013 2:59 pm

To add to the latest comment: Singapore is not the best place for a fresh PhD to undergo training towards academic independence. Go to an established laboratory in Europe or USA or AUS for a couple of years (that is, if you can afford to) to pick-up new scientific credentials, improve communication skills (written and oral) and to pile up some publications under your belt. Return to SG as a Principal Investigator- Life is going to be very different, and you will have no problem becoming a PR.