Singapore Expats

Renewing Re-entry Permit while away on full time studies

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Brown in Yellowland

Renewing Re-entry Permit while away on full time studies

Post by Brown in Yellowland » Sat, 10 Nov 2012 4:58 pm

I need advice regarding re-entry permit (REP) renewal while I'd be away for full time post-graduate studies next year. I've been SPR since April 2004 under PTS and my 5-year REP will expire in April 2014. I'd leave Singapore in September 2013 for 1 year. What should be protocol to follow so I can renew my REP while I'm away. I intend to come back after finishing my studies. I've been living in Singapore for more than 10 years. Following is additional information which might be useful while advising
1- I studied at NUS
2- I'm 35 years old, Single Male, from subcontinent
3- My yearly salary is > SGD 100K

I tried to call ICA but nobody picked up the phone. I'm planning to visit ICA in next 2-3 weeks. The advice will help me to prepare what information I should seek from ICA.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Nov 2012 6:52 pm

No need. You can do your REP renewal using the eREP from anywhere in the world.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid= ... #documents
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brown in Yellowland

Post by Brown in Yellowland » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 2:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No need. You can do your REP renewal using the eREP from anywhere in the world.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid= ... #documents

Sundaymorningstaple, thanks for responding and pointing out to the new requirements.
The reason I asked for the advice was
1- News in Jan 2011 that ICA turns down 2% of PRs' re-entry permits annually. In the news
The Minister for Home Affairs, Mr K Shanmugam, was responding to a question posed by Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) Ms Audrey Wong Wai Yen on the number of PRs who could not renew their re-entry permits.
Mr Shanmugam said some reasons for rejection include their prolonged absence from Singapore, their lack of gainful employment at the time of REP renewal.
and that's the main reason for asking
2-For my case, I would not be working (I’ll resign from current employer) at the time of renewal in April 2014 although I’d have paid income tax for 2013 and my CPF contribution would be till September 2013.
I hope you’ll be able to advise further.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 2:20 pm

I personally don't see you as a risk. The ones not being renewed are users and losers - not potential future contributors as you are.
Now I'm called PNGMK