Singapore Expats

Seeking Advice/Thoughts on our PR Failures

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Seeking Advice/Thoughts on our PR Failures

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 14 Jul 2022 10:08 pm

By Plan B, smoulder meant immigrate to other countries in the event your EP isn’t renewed. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be.

You also re-apply way too soon between rejections. Common advice is to wait 2 years after a rejection before re-applying and only re-apply if there are significant changes (Eg. substantial pay increase) between each application.

If there have been zero changes between each application & rejection, you’re just wasting $100 every time and you will still end up getting rejected.

Sonshine

Post by Sonshine » Thu, 14 Jul 2022 10:31 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 14 Jul 2022 10:08 pm
By Plan B, smoulder meant immigrate to other countries in the event your EP isn’t renewed. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be.

You also re-apply way too soon between rejections. Common advice is to wait 2 years after a rejection before re-applying and only re-apply if there are significant changes (Eg. substantial pay increase) between each application.

If there have been zero changes between each application & rejection, you’re just wasting $100 every time and you will still end up getting rejected.
Not applying soon for sure, will try next year if there is any substantial changes.

Honestly no idea to move to other countries after living here unless until packing up to india if there is no EP.

Thanks for the advise.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 12:30 am

Sonshine wrote:
Thu, 14 Jul 2022 10:31 pm
MOCHS wrote:

Not applying soon for sure, will try next year if there is any substantial changes.

Honestly no idea to move to other countries after living here unless until packing up to india if there is no EP.

Thanks for the advise.
There are plenty of Indians who are in similar state as you, so dont lose heart. There is a just so much competition among Indians, among a billion people even a fraction of the cream of the cream, land here in Singapore and see some of their profiles, like young, PhD holders data science, cutting edge technologies and salary of 200k and even many in these people are not getting. So it is just demand and supply. Too many Indians just love Singapore.

I am also very similar like you in terms of stay in Singapore, we have been here since 2009 and applied multiple times. An IT guy working in a bank with 120k salary and wife is house wife, one daughter. That is as template-ful as it can get of a typical Indian family, there is no chance I will get PR.

I have given up hopes. But just like you, I have got so used to SG and I have crossed my prime and have made a decent corpus in living here and enjoying the low taxes and efficiency of not owning anything. I have no more ambition to go to another country and start all over again, buying expensive real estate in those places and paying the crazy taxes.

My plan is to just continue cruising in Singapore as long as I have EP, otherwise India is always there. We could go and live in a nice low cost place like Goa and enjoy awesome Indian food, drive on the highways and chill.

As far as I am concerned, I have won the game already. There is no need to continue playing anymore :)

Sonshine

Post by Sonshine » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 2:51 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 12:30 am
Sonshine wrote:
MOCHS wrote:

Thanks for the advise.
There are plenty of Indians who are in similar state as you, so dont lose heart. There is a just so much competition among Indians, among a billion people even a fraction of the cream of the cream, land here in Singapore and see some of their profiles, like young, PhD holders data science, cutting edge technologies and salary of 200k and even many in these people are not getting. So it is just demand and supply. Too many Indians just love Singapore.

I am also very similar like you in terms of stay in Singapore, we have been here since 2009 and applied multiple times. An IT guy working in a bank with 120k salary and wife is house wife, one daughter. That is as template-ful as it can get of a typical Indian family, there is no chance I will get PR.

I have given up hopes. But just like you, I have got so used to SG and I have crossed my prime and have made a decent corpus in living here and enjoying the low taxes and efficiency of not owning anything. I have no more ambition to go to another country and start all over again, buying expensive real estate in those places and paying the crazy taxes.

My plan is to just continue cruising in Singapore as long as I have EP, otherwise India is always there. We could go and live in a nice low cost place like Goa and enjoy awesome Indian food, drive on the highways and chill.

As far as I am concerned, I have won the game already. There is no need to continue playing anymore :)
yayy what a soothing thoughts :D We are tired of hard punch PR rejections, we made up our mind to try with low hopes in future and to live happily in SG by not taking too much of PR Stress anymore!!! Cheers and Good luck!!!

darrius.sia

Post by darrius.sia » Tue, 19 Jul 2022 9:58 am

To answer this I am working for a immigration consultancy but I am not here to ask any of you guys to sign up with me . I am here to assist as my fiancé is a foreigner from China .

First thing first ,
There is a few things that need to understand. It’s not about how much you earn or what certificates you have .

It’s how you beautify your profile like you are going for an interview.

Having the just the normal needed document doesn’t allow you to stand up from the rest of the applicant .

Imagine you are a hirer who is seeking to hirer a director for a major company .

People are going for the interview must do have a certain criterial . And if everyone have a bachelor and have experience in the job , who will you choose ?

What if one of them have add on documents . Will that catch your attention and want you to look more into the candidate first ? Because he/she is well prepared and standout among the rest ?

Is not about what you have , is about what you can give .

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 19 Jul 2022 12:31 pm

darrius.sia wrote:
Tue, 19 Jul 2022 9:58 am
To answer this I am working for a immigration consultancy but I am not here to ask any of you guys to sign up with me . I am here to assist as my fiancé is a foreigner from China .

First thing first ,
There is a few things that need to understand. It’s not about how much you earn or what certificates you have .

Having the just the normal needed document doesn’t allow you to stand up from the rest of the applicant .

Imagine you are a hirer who is seeking to hirer a director for a major company .

People are going for the interview must do have a certain criterial . And if everyone have a bachelor and have experience in the job , who will you choose ?

What if one of them have add on documents . Will that catch your attention and want you to look more into the candidate first ? Because he/she is well prepared and standout among the rest ?

Lying and unnecessary embellishments are unlikely to ensure success. Of course you are in the line where you have to make people believe that it will.

Henry1

Post by Henry1 » Tue, 19 Jul 2022 12:49 pm

I hope you get your PR soon! Must be so anxiety inducing to have a child and family here but still facing the possibility of being uprooted.

Best of luck!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jul 2022 11:30 pm

darrius.sia wrote:

First thing first ,

BULLSHIT.

I spent 10 years as an International Headhunter here and another 15 years as an HR & Finance manager of an SME until I retired almost 3 years ago. You immigration consultants are all the same, full of bullshit. You even pick and choose who you will be willing to take on, because if you fail it will drag down your "big selling point" your success rate. The ones you take on can normally file it on their own and still make it without leaches like you trying to suck their blood by playing on their fears.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kjose88

Post by kjose88 » Wed, 20 Jul 2022 12:05 pm

darrius.sia wrote:

First thing first ,

This is hilarious. Follow this forum and you'll identify these crooks at first sight. And the first sign is that they will always start with "I am not here to ask any of you guys to sign up with me".

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:46 am

darrius.sia wrote:
To answer this I am working for a immigration consultancy but I am not here to ask any of you guys to sign up with me .
This is a little off topic but immigration consultancies really irk me. Adding on to what others have said, ICA has expressly cautioned about using immigration consultancies, here is an excerpt from their website:

"ICA is aware of commercial entities or consultants who claim they are able to help applicants improve their success in obtaining long-term immigration facilities in Singapore, for example, Singapore Citizenship, Permanent Residence and Long-Term Immigration Passes.

ICA does not support nor endorse the services offered by these commercial entities or consultants.

ICA carefully assesses all applications for long-term immigration facilities.

Applicants who choose to engage the services of commercial entities or consultants are advised to exercise caution.

ICA shall not be responsible or held accountable in any way for any loss you may suffer arising from your engagement of services provided by these commercial entities or consultants."

Source: Application for Long-Term Immigration Facilities Through Commercial Entities or Consultants, on ICA website (google search will get you there)

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 2:50 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:46 am
darrius.sia wrote:
To answer this I am working for a immigration consultancy but I am not here to ask any of you guys to sign up with me .
This is a little off topic but immigration consultancies really irk me. Adding on to what others have said, ICA has expressly cautioned about using immigration consultancies, here is an excerpt from their website:

"ICA is aware of commercial entities or consultants who claim they are able to help applicants improve their success in obtaining long-term immigration facilities in Singapore, for example, Singapore Citizenship, Permanent Residence and Long-Term Immigration Passes.

ICA does not support nor endorse the services offered by these commercial entities or consultants.

ICA carefully assesses all applications for long-term immigration facilities.

Applicants who choose to engage the services of commercial entities or consultants are advised to exercise caution.

ICA shall not be responsible or held accountable in any way for any loss you may suffer arising from your engagement of services provided by these commercial entities or consultants."

Source: Application for Long-Term Immigration Facilities Through Commercial Entities or Consultants, on ICA website (google search will get you there)
yep, ICA has recently updated their website and included this message. i noticed it too.

mozarella99

Post by mozarella99 » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 3:58 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 12:30 am
Sonshine wrote:
MOCHS wrote:

Thanks for the advise.

Hear hear! There really should be a lot more of such posts. Like many others on this forum, and in Singapore, I too put in an application for my family and I. The pressure of getting ones PR approved is really quite stifling and all consuming. There are obvious benefits and who wouldn't want the approval to come through!

Though having said that, especially for the large number of Indian expats, living and working here is already pretty amazing! And not getting your permanent residency isn't really the end of the world guys! What is the worst that can happen? You lose your job? It's a hassle to move the family back to India or elsewhere. But life goes on.

Especially in double income families where your spouse is working. The risk is further mitigated. So like the other person said - my plan is to also stay on as long as we can as a family. I will definitely apply a few more times. But otherwise work hard, save up and retire with a nice large garden filled with fruit trees in India. Make some craft gin, spend hours in the sauna, visit my son (wherever the hell he'll be at that point in time) and chill 😅.

India is certainly not some bad plan B. It's an amazing one.