Singapore Expats

PR application length of stay/work in SG

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lolz512

PR application length of stay/work in SG

Post by lolz512 » Mon, 01 Nov 2021 12:43 pm

Good day everyone,

Is your past length of stay in Singapore considered in PR application? Let us say I worked in Singapore since 2016 due to covid I needed to go back to my country in 2020, and then I get back to Singapore in 2022. So there will be a gap of 1yr+. So will my previous stay/work of 4yrs be counted in the assessment?

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR application length of stay/work in SG

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Nov 2021 2:44 pm

Good possibility but we don't honestly know due to covid everything is subject to change. Maybe they will take that into consideration.

In the past, however, if you left to go home regardless of the reason, for a period of a year or more, normally the time spent here would roll back to zero. But we are in uncharted water now.

In the past the thought process was you are applying for "Permanent" residency. Running home because of no work does not give that impression when applying for "Permanent" residency as it might be looked at as a PR of convenience only.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 01 Nov 2021 4:32 pm

lolz512 wrote:
Mon, 01 Nov 2021 12:43 pm
Good day everyone,

Is your past length of stay in Singapore considered in PR application? Let us say I worked in Singapore since 2016 due to covid I needed to go back to my country in 2020, and then I get back to Singapore in 2022. So there will be a gap of 1yr+. So will my previous stay/work of 4yrs be counted in the assessment?

Thank you
Was your salary and tax being paid in SG for the 1 year? If so, you may be good. Else the counter will likely reset to 0.

lolz512

Post by lolz512 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 7:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 01 Nov 2021 2:44 pm
Good possibility but we don't honestly know due to covid everything is subject to change. Maybe they will take that into consideration.

In the past, however, if you left to go home regardless of the reason, for a period of a year or more, normally the time spent here would roll back to zero. But we are in uncharted water now.

In the past the thought process was you are applying for "Permanent" residency. Running home because of no work does not give that impression when applying for "Permanent" residency as it might be looked at as a PR of convenience only.
Hmm, I did not lose my job. I voluntarily tendered my resignation. So I guess, I must go back in less than a year to be sure...

lolz512

Post by lolz512 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 7:38 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 01 Nov 2021 4:32 pm
lolz512 wrote:
Good day everyone,

Thank you
Was your salary and tax being paid in SG for the 1 year? If so, you may be good. Else the counter will likely reset to 0.
Unfortunately no... So if it is less than a year, it should be good?
Also is it possible for me to still pay taxes to IRAS even if I do not have a pass(because currently a remote employee) given that my current employer is based/registered in SG?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 9:14 am

lolz512 wrote:
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 7:38 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 01 Nov 2021 4:32 pm
lolz512 wrote:
Good day everyone,

Thank you
Unfortunately no... So if it is less than a year, it should be good?
Also is it possible for me to still pay taxes to IRAS even if I do not have a pass(because currently a remote employee) given that my current employer is based/registered in SG?
No, you cant pay if no income in SG.
Less than a year -> Good -> No one can confirm this.

lolz512

Post by lolz512 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 9:43 am

I just contacted IRAS, it seems I can apply for SFA to pay my taxes. I guess just need to GIRO my salary to my bank account to have some sort of proof.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 9:49 am

lolz512 wrote:
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 9:43 am
I just contacted IRAS, it seems I can apply for SFA to pay my taxes. I guess just need to GIRO my salary to my bank account to have some sort of proof.
What will you pay tax for if there is no employment income in SG?

lolz512

Post by lolz512 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:16 am

I have employment income in SG. But it seems if you are working overseas, you are not subjected to IRAS. Okay thank you your responses!

lolz512

Post by lolz512 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 12:07 pm

RevicePang wrote:
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 11:57 am
Hello Everyone!

Thought I would like to share our PR application story. :)

So my wife's pr application got approved on 28th September 2021, after 7 months and 26 days of waiting.
Good for you, #3 and #6 is a very big deal. I guess for me as single male would be the same very difficult case as others .