Singapore Expats

Does Singapore allow dual permanent residency? (SG and US)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
crunchlax

Does Singapore allow dual permanent residency? (SG and US)

Post by crunchlax » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 3:15 pm

Does Singapore allow me to hold both SG PR and US green card at the same time? Ignoring the fact that it may not be possible to maintain/extend both.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Does Singapore allow dual permanent residency? (SG and US)

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 3:43 pm

Yes.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 3:49 pm

From what I can see, the answer is yes, they do permit it. They basically only care about how much time you spend in Singapore and if you are still contributing. Stop contributing and they will reduce the duration of your re entry permit at renewal or not renew it at all. I know people who this happened to.

Now if you are not already a Singapore PR, you are thinking of applying for it, and you are wondering if they care, the answer is most likely that they do care because again what they want is loyalty. Someone with multiple PRs will then have a higher potential of leaving. Obviously, this will affect your chances of getting a Singapore PR.

crunchlax

Post by crunchlax » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks. Right now, it's just about researching what's allowed and what's not. For citizenship it's obvious. For PR, however, couldn't seem to find any resources that mention holding another PRs, whether for application/renewal.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 8:29 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 21 Oct 2021 3:49 pm
From what I can see, the answer is yes, they do permit it. They basically only care about how much time you spend in Singapore and if you are still contributing. Stop contributing and they will reduce the duration of your re entry permit at renewal or not renew it at all. I know people who this happened to.

Now if you are not already a Singapore PR, you are thinking of applying for it, and you are wondering if they care, the answer is most likely that they do care because again what they want is loyalty. Someone with multiple PRs will then have a higher potential of leaving. Obviously, this will affect your chances of getting a Singapore PR.
I am reminded of that Janet Jackson song “what have you done for me lately”

https://youtu.be/r9uizdKZAGE
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 8:42 pm

😂

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:05 pm

I think anyone who is an aspiring PR or current PR should listen to the song carefully. 😂
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:42 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 21 Oct 2021 3:49 pm

Right. A small country like Singapore values loyalty over nearly everything else, so its better to obtain sole PR status before obtaining a second PR elsewhere.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:42 am

You can, there is nothing stopping you legally.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 7:42 am

Singapore PR is not really "permanent" at all. It can be yanked at any time and for most any reason, chiefly that you don't have a job. It's closer to a super employment pass, with terms and conditions.

US PR really is permanent. You don't need to be employed. You can live under a freeway overpass if you want. You only lose PR if you are convicted of illegal acts or you fail to live in the USA for extended periods.

I would certainly ensure that I meet all USA PR residency requirements, never mind the Singapore PR.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 7:53 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 7:42 am
Singapore PR is not really "permanent" at all. It can be yanked at any time and for most any reason, chiefly that you don't have a job. It's closer to a super employment pass, with terms and conditions.
PR has always been a stepping stone towards citizenship. If one wants it permanent, then take up SC?

Anyway it also depends on what scheme the PR was applied through. If it’s PTS, I guess it would be tricky when one is unemployed. If via family ties scheme, unlikely it’ll be “yanked any time”. My step-grandmother has been an unemployed PR for decades now, no one is revoking her permanent residency.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 8:29 am

MOCHS wrote:
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 7:53 am
PR has always been a stepping stone towards citizenship. If one wants it permanent, then take up SC?
20 years ago? It was definitely viewed more as a super EP, only a stepping stone for a select few.

Today it has clearly shifted more towards a stepping stone. At least it sure seems that way because of the sharper differentiation with SC and the increased selectiveness in approving PR. I don’t think they used to send invitations to certain PRs to take up citizenship in the past. Things have definitely changed.

I think the shift started back when the whole “stayers vs quitters” was raised, and the expressed desire to coax a greater number of PR here to take up SC. I believe the low birth rate was the driver — with citizens set to become the minority of residents in the future… probably not a desirable situation.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 9:16 am

MOCHS wrote:
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 7:53 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 7:42 am
Take up SC? You mean, just apply for it? That's not going to guarantee SC.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:42 pm

At least it’s better to show interest by applying for SC rather than balik kampung once PR is obtained.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 1:07 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:42 pm
At least it’s better to show interest by applying for SC rather than balik kampung once PR is obtained.
How about people who balik kampung after they applied for SC but were rejected? OK with you?