Singapore Expats

PR Chance 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
elc84

PR Chance 2020

Post by elc84 » Sun, 08 Nov 2020 3:22 am

Thank you in advance for reading and your advice!
Last edited by elc84 on Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR Chance 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 08 Nov 2020 7:08 pm

elc84 wrote:
Sun, 08 Nov 2020 3:22 am
Thank you in advance for reading and your advice!

Relationship status: Single
Religious affiliation: Agnostic with humanist values, in other words "none" on the application form
Nationality: Chinese
Ethnicity:Chinese
Education: Bachelor's in Economics from US university, cum laude with merit scholarship all 4 years
Income: ~120k (105k base)
Profession: digital product manager (experience & interface design, innovation, app development & delivery management)
Employer: US bank
Years of experience: 4 years & 1 month
Time in SG: 2 years & 11 months

Other info:
1. I started working in the US then moved to SG with the same company on S pass. After 1 year changed to my current job on EP with a 100% base salary increase - would this be considered a plus in my application?
2. I've lived in 5 countries in the past 10 years (high school, university, long-term exchange programs all in different places), had the bad case of travel bug. This is reflected in my long list of residential addresses on the application - is this considered a negative?
3. After reading some posts, it seems my work history might backfire? I was in management consulting and now in banking

Appreciate your input!
Not going to be easy
1. Too short stay in SG
2. May have a history showing that you have moved between many countries

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Sun, 08 Nov 2020 7:29 pm

Nationalit?

Iehklad

Post by Iehklad » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 3:15 pm

Hi,

Can anyone help assess my prospect of obtaining PR.

Background:
I applied in March 2020 and result has been pending.
I have gotten a response from ICA 3 days ago (Nov 20) asking my whereabouts and when I plan to return to SG, as I have been WFH at parents' place in Hong Kong since July 20. Would you think it is a good sign since it has not been an outright rejection or am I overthinking? I have replied that I will return when SG-HK Travel Bubble arrangement is fully established by end Nov.

I had applied before 2 years ago when I was on S pass but was declined after 8 months in 2018.

Race: Chinese
Marital status: Single
Nationality: HK, Ireland and Britain (all 3 declared in submission but applied with Irish passport)
Length in SG = 5 years (first work permit to S pass to now E pass)
Job title = Account Manager
Industry: Advertising Agency
Salary = 63K per annum
Education = bachelor's degree in Business from ireland (not recognised by MOM)
Pass = E pass
Tax filed and paid = 3 years

Thank you!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 3:26 pm

Iehklad wrote:
Mon, 09 Nov 2020 3:15 pm
Hi,

Background:
I have gotten a response from ICA 3 days ago (Nov 20) asking my whereabouts and when I plan to return to SG, as I have been WFH at parents' place in Hong Kong since July 20. Would you think it is a good sign since it has not been an outright rejection or am I overthinking? I have replied that I will return when SG-HK Travel Bubble arrangement is fully established by end Nov.

I had applied before 2 years ago when I was on S pass but was declined after 8 months in 2018.

Nationality: HK, Ireland and Britain (all 3 declared in submission but applied with Irish passport)
Salary = 63K per annum
Pass = E pass

Thank you!
This question may be or may not be for audit. So, no one here can say whether it is positive. better wait for the reply from them

Iehklad

Post by Iehklad » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 3:29 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 09 Nov 2020 3:26 pm
Iehklad wrote:
Hi,

Background:

Salary = 63K per annum
Pass = E pass

Thank you!
This question may be or may not be for audit. So, no one here can say whether it is positive. better wait for the reply from them
Thank you! But application wise, what are my chances with my credentials?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 3:42 pm

Iehklad wrote:
Mon, 09 Nov 2020 3:29 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Iehklad wrote:
Hi,

Background:

Salary = 63K per annum
Pass = E pass

Thank you!
Chance may be 20-30% as manager roles are mostly filled up by residents.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:00 pm

Iehklad wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Iehklad wrote:
Hi,

Background:

Salary = 63K per annum
Pass = E pass

Thank you!
As you mentioned, you’re having 3 nationalities/ passports. The message from the G, especially recently has been clear - PR is the stepping stone to citizenship. (you may search the forum, I think The Observer shared some articles on that). I’m not sure if you will be viewed as a PR collector with no intention of giving all 3 nationalities and hence making it even tougher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iehklad

Post by Iehklad » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:06 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:00 pm
Iehklad wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

As you mentioned, you’re having 3 nationalities/ passports. The message from the G, especially recently has been clear - PR is the stepping stone to citizenship. (you may search the forum, I think The Observer shared some articles on that). I’m not sure if you will be viewed as a PR collector with no intention of giving all 3 nationalities and hence making it even tougher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your feedback. I am aware my nationalities might be a hindrance. But I do think it is better to come clean and be honest. Let's see how it pans out. Thank you so much.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:37 pm

There's 3 keywords to take note of. Your income isn't the most important criteria.

"We therefore prioritise new immigrants with the ability to integrate well into our society, and who have expressed their commitment to sinking roots here.

Applicants who can make good economic contributions are certainly welcome, but that is not the sole criterion we consider."

https://www.strategygroup.gov.sg/media- ... ion-policy

"Ms Indranee said citizenship and PR status are offered selectively to applicants who are committed to making Singapore their home, and who can integrate and contribute to Singapore."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... years-says

Iehklad

Post by Iehklad » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:47 pm

Hi observer,

Thank you for your feedback. I do plan to sink roots in Singapore as it is now my home, I hope the fact that I hold 3 passports should not be an impediment to how committed I am to staying here, people who hold 1 citizenship can also potentially pack up and leave regardless of the number of passports they hold. I equate that metaphorically to the number of suitors one has, if you love her, you love her and she's the one and only one.
Last edited by Iehklad on Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:49 pm

Iehklad wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Iehklad wrote:
Hi,

Background:

Salary = 63K per annum
Pass = E pass

Thank you!
Advertising is not an in demand field in Singapore - it's mainly interested in tech (IT, BioTech etc).

By the way, why does MOM not recognise your degree ?

Iehklad

Post by Iehklad » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:52 pm

TropicalExpat wrote:
Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:49 pm
Iehklad wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

Advertising is not an in demand field in Singapore - it's mainly interested in tech (IT, BioTech etc).

By the way, why does MOM not recognise your degree ?
Hi Tropical Expat,

I mean it is not a contributing factor to how I obtained my E pass. When I was doing SAT on MOM, had my degree from a list of top universities, my qualifying salary would have been lower than what I needed to hit.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 5:25 pm

Iehklad wrote:
Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:47 pm
Hi observer,

Thank you for your feedback. I do plan to sink roots in Singapore as it is now my home, I hope the fact that I hold 3 passports should not be an impediment to how committed I am to staying here, people who hold 1 citizenship can also potentially pack up and leave regardless of the number of passports they hold. I equate that metaphorically to the number of suitors one has, if you love her, you love her and she's the one and only one.
Hi lehklad,

I am not part of the gahmen, and I think you are judged based on empirical evidence, actions or steps you’ve taken. Not pledges.

Good luck.

Iehklad

Post by Iehklad » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 5:45 pm

the observer wrote:
Mon, 09 Nov 2020 5:25 pm
Iehklad wrote:
Mon, 09 Nov 2020 4:47 pm
Hi observer,

Hi lehklad,

I am not part of the gahmen, and I think you are judged based on empirical evidence, actions or steps you’ve taken. Not pledges.

Good luck.
Thanks mate. Appreciate it!