Singapore Expats

Advise on SC Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jseng

Advise on SC Application

Post by jseng » Tue, 19 Nov 2019 1:25 pm

Hi all,

Can I ask some advice on the chances to get SC based on below profile?

Female 31yo
Applying SC on my own
Malaysian Chinese
PR for the past 6yr (renewed my REP last year)
Before that EP for 2yr
Annual income $80k
Online submission done on March 2019

Secondly, l’ve been reading a few of the forum thread which mentioned of a hard copy doc submission. I’ve applied through e-SC (online) since March 2019 and there is no such instruction? On ICA website my status is shown as pending. No appointment for submission or interview. I’m abit confused and worried I may have left out certain steps. Although I have re-read the SC application instruction many times. Kindly advise.

Thirdly, does married status helps to improve the chance of SC? My fiancée and I are contemplating whether should we register before or after I received my SC.

Lastly, how do I check with ICA? Email or have to go down personally?

Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Advise on SC Application

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Nov 2019 3:52 pm

Sounds like you are good to go. Just a waiting game now. Figure between 12 and 18 months (normal nowadays). You are probably a shoe-in at maybe 90% and while being married to an SGC would may add a bit, I feel you are already in good shape. Forget checking with ICA. The only answer you will get is 'it is in processing and you will be notified in due course'. If they need anything else they will contact you and let you know 'exactly' what they want and tell you how to submit it. Just hang in there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 19 Nov 2019 4:29 pm

jseng wrote:
Tue, 19 Nov 2019 1:25 pm
Hi all,

Can I ask some advice on the chances to get SC based on below profile?

Female 31yo
Applying SC on my own
Malaysian Chinese
PR for the past 6yr (renewed my REP last year)
Before that EP for 2yr
Annual income $80k
Online submission done on March 2019

Secondly, l’ve been reading a few of the forum thread which mentioned of a hard copy doc submission. I’ve applied through e-SC (online) since March 2019 and there is no such instruction? On ICA website my status is shown as pending. No appointment for submission or interview. I’m abit confused and worried I may have left out certain steps. Although I have re-read the SC application instruction many times. Kindly advise.

Thirdly, does married status helps to improve the chance of SC? My fiancée and I are contemplating whether should we register before or after I received my SC.

Lastly, how do I check with ICA? Email or have to go down personally?

Thank you.
Prior to 2019, we need to apply online and go to ICA for physical document verification and submission. From this year, ICA has moved to completely online document uploads and you are not asked to go to ICA for the document verification. Application submission for SC is fully ONLINE now.

Marriage will not have significant impact on your application, unless you marry a SC and are married for 2 years+/have a kid.

jseng

Post by jseng » Tue, 19 Nov 2019 5:04 pm

Well, my fiancé is also a PR. So I guess doesn’t make a difference.

Thanks SMS and SF. I guess nothing I can do and just wait :)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 19 Nov 2019 6:27 pm

jseng wrote:
Tue, 19 Nov 2019 5:04 pm
Well, my fiancé is also a PR. So I guess doesn’t make a difference.

Thanks SMS and SF. I guess nothing I can do and just wait :)
Will not make any difference, as your application is an individual SC application.

shuigao

Post by shuigao » Wed, 20 Nov 2019 3:46 pm

jseng wrote:
Like what singaporeflyer said, now it's fully online (I applied in Feb 2019). In fact you don't even need to show up to ICA in person until oath taking day.
- Application and Submission of documents done online,
- Once approved, arrange for SG Journey eLearning and 2 orientation sessions online,
- Once SG Journey complete, renounce citizenship,
- Take citizenship renunciation acknowledgement letter (and photos, documents, etc) to ICA for oath taking.
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 19 Nov 2019 6:27 pm
Will not make any difference, as your application is an individual SC application.
I wonder if it makes a difference if one is married (to a fellow non-SC) and applies on his/her own. In Feb this year when I applied online the first question was "are you married," and the second was "are you applying on your own or with your spouse" :D
shuigao's travel & food blog http://look-see-eat.blogspot.com/

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 20 Nov 2019 3:52 pm

shuigao wrote:
Wed, 20 Nov 2019 3:46 pm
jseng wrote:
Like what singaporeflyer said, now it's fully online (I applied in Feb 2019). In fact you don't even need to show up to ICA in person until oath taking day.
- Once approved, arrange for SG Journey eLearning and 2 orientation sessions online,
- Take citizenship renunciation acknowledgement letter (and photos, documents, etc) to ICA for oath taking.
singaporeflyer wrote:
I wonder if it makes a difference if one is married (to a fellow non-SC) and applies on his/her own. In Feb this year when I applied online the first question was "are you married," and the second was "are you applying on your own or with your spouse" :D
What I meant was, at the time of application she was single, so even if she gets married NOW, it is perfectly fine not to include the spouse in the SC application.

If you are married for long, your spouse is in SG and you dont apply for the Spouse in SC, this will not be considered postively.

jseng

Post by jseng » Wed, 20 Nov 2019 7:35 pm

shuigao wrote:
jseng wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Hi shuigao,

When did you get your SC approved? And how long roughly does the SC journey takes until oath taking?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 20 Nov 2019 7:41 pm

jseng wrote:
Wed, 20 Nov 2019 7:35 pm
shuigao wrote:
jseng wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Hi shuigao,

When did you get your SC approved? And how long roughly does the SC journey takes until oath taking?
I think you need to finish everything 2 months from the date of letter. Oath Taking date depends on the date and slot available. Usually can finish the whole process within 2.5 months from when you receive IPA

shuigao

Post by shuigao » Thu, 21 Nov 2019 8:29 am

jseng wrote:
Wed, 20 Nov 2019 7:35 pm
Applied 26-Feb
Approved 16-Sep
Completed SC Journey 26-Oct*
Renounced previous citizenship 28-Oct
Took Oath 02-Nov

The SC Journey duration really depends on your approval timing compared to the once-a-month Community Sharing Session timings. e.g. if you get your approval today, the next available CSS could be up to 2 months in the future.

* When I logged in to SC Journey website, the next available CSS was 14-Nov, which I could not attend due to some unavoidable schedule conflicts. After emailing them, the SC Journey admin kindly squeezed my wife and I into the (full) 22-Oct one instead.
Last edited by shuigao on Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shuigao's travel & food blog http://look-see-eat.blogspot.com/

jseng

Post by jseng » Thu, 21 Nov 2019 9:47 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 20 Nov 2019 3:52 pm

What I meant was, at the time of application she was single, so even if she gets married NOW, it is perfectly fine not to include the spouse in the SC application.

If you are married for long, your spouse is in SG and you dont apply for the Spouse in SC, this will not be considered postively.
Hi SF, you mean if you don’t apply SC together with spouse (if alrdy married for long) may be considered negatively? I thought that is quite common because mostly only the wife converted as husband still hold property oversea.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 21 Nov 2019 9:52 am

jseng wrote:
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 9:47 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 20 Nov 2019 3:52 pm

Hi SF, you mean if you don’t apply SC together with spouse (if alrdy married for long) may be considered negatively? I thought that is quite common because mostly only the wife converted as husband still hold property oversea.
If you dont apply as a family, the chance is going to be less. I am not saying impossible, but less.