Singapore Expats

citizenship rejected after 19months

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
petpelly

citizenship rejected after 19months

Post by petpelly » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 2:31 pm

Chinese
studied bachelor at NTU, first class honor, dean's list
late 20s
applied in March 2018
got job offer oversea at July 2018, and i took it.
just received rejection status online, oct 2019
stayed in Singapore for 10 years.

current salary based on current exchange rate 150k sgd annual, base.

I have intention to settle down in Singapore, that's why i didn't withdraw my citizenship application.

is it because i am currently working oversea? Shall i appeal? should i say withdraw my cpf and give up my PR if not approve my citizenship?

restored by moderator after original poster decided he didn't get the answer he wanted.
Last edited by petpelly on Thu, 24 Oct 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: citizenship rejected after 19months

Post by jamie9vardy » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 2:41 pm

petpelly wrote:profile

Chinese
late 20s
applied in March 2018

I have intention to settle down in Singapore, that's why i didn't withdraw my citizenship application.

is it because i am currently working oversea? Shall i appeal? should i say withdraw my cpf and give up my PR if not approve my citizenship?
Yes, that’s the very reason. Because you’re not even employed in Singapore. You’ll be lucky if you can have your REP renewed when it’s due.

And yes, by all means tell the gahmen that you’ll give up your PR and withdraw all your CPF if they reject your appeal or next application. Maybe they will say in the rejection letter good riddance, SG is not short of candidates of your profile, withdrawal of your CPF won’t cause the Board to go bust and the gahmen may even provide police outriders to send you off.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:00 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 2:41 pm
petpelly wrote:profile

Chinese
late 20s
applied in March 2018

Yes, that’s the very reason. Because you’re not even employed in Singapore. You’ll be lucky if you can have your REP renewed when it’s due.

And yes, by all means tell the gahmen that you’ll give up your PR and withdraw all your CPF if they reject your appeal or next application. Maybe they will say in the rejection letter good riddance, SG is not short of candidates of your profile, withdrawal of your CPF won’t cause the Board to go bust and the gahmen may even provide police outriders to send you off.
There was a recent article in the news, where PM mentioned that there are lot of good talents waiting to immigrate to SG. So, we can be very sure that many are waiting in the queue. So, by now you know the answer for your question

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:03 pm

To be a good candidate for citizenship, you will need to reestablish your residency by being gainfully employed in Singapore. I think any appeal will not work while you are overseas unless you have an extraordinary profile that can potentially be beneficial to Singapore. Your very last statement will not work with the government.

petpelly

Post by petpelly » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:32 pm

bro75 wrote:
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:03 pm
To be a good candidate for citizenship, you will need to reestablish your residency by being gainfully employed in Singapore. I think any appeal will not work while you are overseas unless you have an extraordinary profile that can potentially be beneficial to Singapore. Your very last statement will not work with the government.
thank you for your response.

if they don't renew my reentry permit,then I Can never go back to SG anymore?

then i have to withdraw my PR, at least i can still apply tourist Visa.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:40 pm

Yep, you got your facts in order. Come in on a SVP, turn in your NRIC and fill out the paperwork for withdrawal of your CPF (although that is not a requirement at this point in time). In fact, unless you have a pressing need for those funds, personally, I'd leave them in situ with the CPF board (Triple A rated) and you cannot find higher interest rates with a better risk factor. The government will continue to pay interest on the account and you can withdraw any time in the future you want. Just allow 6 to 8 weeks for processing and it will be electronically transferred to any account worldwide of your choosing all the CPF and all of the interest.

Be advised, however, should you withdraw all of it, and subsequently gain residency again in Singapore (EP) and want to start the whole process again, before you can apply you must redeposit all the funds & interest that was withdrawn plus any interest that would have accrued had it been left in situ during those years.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 4:01 pm

petpelly wrote:
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:32 pm
bro75 wrote:
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:03 pm
thank you for your response.

if they don't renew my reentry permit,then I Can never go back to SG anymore?

then i have to withdraw my PR, at least i can still apply tourist Visa.
Sometimes on appeal, they might give you a 1 year REP for you to come back, stay and work in SG. If you are lucky at the end of 1 year REP, you MAY get a 5 year REP. But all this is only if you come back and work in SG.

petpelly

Post by petpelly » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 6:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:40 pm
Yep, you got your facts in order. Come in on a SVP, turn in your NRIC and fill out the paperwork for withdrawal of your CPF (although that is not a requirement at this point in time). In fact, unless you have a pressing need for those funds, personally, I'd leave them in situ with the CPF board (Triple A rated) and you cannot find higher interest rates with a better risk factor. The government will continue to pay interest on the account and you can withdraw any time in the future you want. Just allow 6 to 8 weeks for processing and it will be electronically transferred to any account worldwide of your choosing all the CPF and all of the interest.

Be advised, however, should you withdraw all of it, and subsequently gain residency again in Singapore (EP) and want to start the whole process again, before you can apply you must redeposit all the funds & interest that was withdrawn plus any interest that would have accrued had it been left in situ during those years.

thanks for your answer.

if they refuse my REp renew, is my Pr still valid?
meaning if i come to Singapore and work again in The future, am i still considered as PR?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 6:33 pm

petpelly wrote:
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 6:30 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 3:40 pm

thanks for your answer.

if they refuse my REp renew, is my Pr still valid?
meaning if i come to Singapore and work again in The future, am i still considered as PR?
Once you lose your REP, you will not be allowed to enter Singapore without a Visit Pass. Only if you get EP again, you can work in SG. You are not a PR anymore after that

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 8:23 pm

petpelly wrote:deleted
There is no need to delete your original post as It was already quoted in my reply to you.

I think you need to observe some forum etiquette here. Do not delete your original post even though you do not like the answers provided, which are often the hard truth, so that other readers can make sense of the thread.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Oct 2019 8:31 pm

Restored original post. - moderator
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers