Singapore Expats

LTVP Child of Singapore PR Non-Working Mother

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
CC2018

LTVP Child of Singapore PR Non-Working Mother

Post by CC2018 » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:51 am

My daughter was born a couple years ago but upon her birth, she was not granted PR status. As her mother, (I have PR status as a I received this as a dependent on my parents application in the mid 1990s), I was really shocked her PR application was rejected and instead she received LTVP status. Which as many of you know, this requires her to be renewed every year. Granted I have since quit my job as fashion buyer when I became pregnant and my husband is not a SPR or SC yet, (he is South East Asian with US citizenship). My husband does have a well respected profession in Finance, earns over 25k/month and graduated from a reputable US Ivy league university. We are also in our mid-late 30s, and married close to a decade now.

My question is that I do not understand why my daughter was not given PR and why each time we renew her LTVP, there is always an approval process involved which can be quite nerve-wracking as I am the sponsor but not working...The renewals are not automatic despite having been successfully approved in her original application. Just very curious to understand why an approval process is necessary for renewal of a dependent child to a PR mother. Any ideas? Is it because I am not working? My husband is not a PR yet? My daughter is a girl and not able to serve NS one day even if she was PR? Thoughts?

On another topic, any ideas of how successful my husband's prospects would be if he applied for SPR now?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: LTVP Child of Singapore PR Non-Working Mother

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:26 am

Race/occupation dependent. Why not try? He should apply for PR for both himself and your daughter.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 1:47 pm

Why hasn't you husband applied for PR a long, long time ago? As long as he is only on an EP (I'm assuming) and you are not working, that's the reason why the child is not getting PR. You, as the PR, are technically the sponsor, but you are not working so how to sponsor? It's the protocols that are throwing a spanner in the works.

After you two had been here for two years he should have applied for PR, unless, of course, there is the unspoken reason, e.g., if he's on 25K/mo he's on an expat package that he would lose if he receive PR. (Am I close?). So, basically, at least from my P.O.V., He's placing money above the ease of mind of the family. I can't tell you what to do, but there is always the possibility that he will one day lose his EP and you will probably have to give up your PR unless the child is old enough to be put into school.

You say you husband is of S.E. Asian extraction (again, may I assume he is a naturalized U.S. citizen). Would he be originally from the Sub-Continent? If he's in Finance and making that kind of money, it would be my guess, and his actions are therefore stereotypical and what is causing the problems for the entire race here in Singapore. If he isn't, please accept my apologies. We've been here a long time and we've had umpteen thousand posters here so we do see stereotypical patterns arise over and over again. Often posters don't want to give us the full picture so we often have to 'pull teeth' to get the information in order to give more accurate views.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 1:51 pm

To answer your last question, if he IS from the sub-continent, and is in finance, it might be difficult to PR as the government is fully aware that those who are making that kind of money, follow the money. Therefore giving PR with the idea of eventual citizenship here (which is the reason for PR in the first place) is a probable waste of time as the first offer that crops up in another country for 50k/more per annum and they are outta here. So why should the government waste an allotment on someone who probably will not be permanent here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CC2018

Post by CC2018 » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 2:26 pm

Hi all, thanks a lot for the replies. I genuinely find Singapore so interesting how they determine who will become a PR so all of your comments are appreciated.

To clarify, my husband came to Singapore for work a few years before we met. At that time, it was early 2000s and yes he could have and should have applied for PR but as he didn’t know me yet, Singapore was not really his focus then. Later we married and we both worked in other parts of Asia (eg. Hk/Japan) but when it was time to start our family, I naturally turned to Singapore where my own family is PR.

(FYI, husband and I are both American citizens. He is ethnically Chinese-Cambodian and I am Chinese).

So to be transparent, there Is a gap period between the time he last held his EP in early 2000 for a couple years and his current EP that he has had for only 2 years.

RE: About sponsoring my daughters LTVP, it was not much choice because when we moved back to Singapore it was either to put my daughter as a dependent on My husbands very new EP or to go for an LTVP through me, a PR. Actually I was working while I was pregnant but quit shortly before her birth. So I still had tax assessments to show at the time of my daughter’s birth. But with each renewal of her ltvp, I am not sure it is still important for me to be working just to renew? I am married to my spouse who thankfully is able to support us - doesn’t that matter? I actually recall they ask for the sponsors income in the online ltvp renewal app and also my spouses’ income. If they rejected my daughter, do I simply just add her to my husbands EP?

In my opinion I feel Very sad to see them reject a baby a ltvp pass...especially it’s not even for a PR. So far, I have not been rejected yet for her ltvp renewal but waiting for their approval is daunting each time.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 2:57 pm

It's unlikely your baby would not get an LTVP renewal without a dramatic change in the current policy. You may need to mover to a DP or student's pass at some point.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 4:45 pm

Have you applied for citizenship?

Maybe they have little belief in your genuine reason to stay here if you have been PR 20+ yrs with no inclination to change status.

If you have applied and been rejected , apologies.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 9:29 pm

CC2018 wrote:Hi all, thanks a lot for the replies. I genuinely find Singapore so interesting how they determine who will become a PR so all of your comments are appreciated.

To clarify, my husband came to Singapore for work a few years before we met. At that time, it was early 2000s and yes he could have and should have applied for PR but as he didn’t know me yet, Singapore was not really his focus then. Later we married and we both worked in other parts of Asia (eg. Hk/Japan) but when it was time to start our family, I naturally turned to Singapore where my own family is PR.

(FYI, husband and I are both American citizens. He is ethnically Chinese-Cambodian and I am Chinese).

That is in your favour, obviously. But still doesn't rule out one glaring thing (to me - as possibly also to ICA) and that I alluded to in my previous posts about just following the dollar. He was here on an EP previously and then left for greener pastures. Returned when the opportunity was ripe here again. (Not necessarily the facts as you have said - but possibly what an ICA officer could think).

So to be transparent, there Is a gap period between the time he last held his EP in early 2000 for a couple years and his current EP that he has had for only 2 years.

If I were him I would apply for PR at the first opportunity.

RE: About sponsoring my daughters LTVP, it was not much choice because when we moved back to Singapore it was either to put my daughter as a dependent on My husbands very new EP or to go for an LTVP through me, a PR. Actually I was working while I was pregnant but quit shortly before her birth. So I still had tax assessments to show at the time of my daughter’s birth. But with each renewal of her ltvp, I am not sure it is still important for me to be working just to renew? I am married to my spouse who thankfully is able to support us - doesn’t that matter? I actually recall they ask for the sponsors income in the online ltvp renewal app and also my spouses’ income. If they rejected my daughter, do I simply just add her to my husbands EP?

I doubt if they will reject the LTVP, but they might be just stretching it out to put pressure on the family because the husband still hasn't applied for PR.

In my opinion I feel Very sad to see them reject a baby a ltvp pass...especially it’s not even for a PR. So far, I have not been rejected yet for her ltvp renewal but waiting for their approval is daunting each time.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 21 Feb 2018 11:04 am

If you are not Malaysian, the chances of getting PR for your child is low. For me , I was granted PR in 2005 but my daughter who was born in 2010 was denied PR approval for 4 times. She was on LTVP before but now is on student pass. They tightened the PR criteria after 2010 and as a result a large percentage of PRs (non-Malaysian) suddenly found their child's PR applications rejected. The LTVP as a dependent of PRs is given on a year to year basis and you will have to renew it manually every time. It takes about 4-6 weeks for it to be approved. Once your child is in primary school, the LTVP can be converted to a student pass which will have a longer duration (up to 4 years I think).

CC2018

Post by CC2018 » Tue, 27 Feb 2018 8:59 pm

Just got a reply and daughter approved for her LTVP.
Meanwhile - just submitted for spouses PR application, fingers crossed.