Singapore Expats

Foreign Spouse of SC - EP / LTVP / LoC

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mastermind

Foreign Spouse of SC - EP / LTVP / LoC

Post by Mastermind » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 11:38 pm

Hi all,

I've got a query and was hoping to get some insight and guidance from fellow forum members.

I'm a British Citizen married to a Singapore Citizen (Married in London for 2+ years, both currently living in London.

I have a permanent job offer from a company in Singapore and would like to migrate to Singapore with my Singaporean wife.

In this instance, what work permit/visa do we have to apply for?

From my research, it seems I'm eligible for either the EP, LTVP or Letter of Consent.

Is it possible for us to start the application process for the LTVP from London?

My wife does not have any jobs lined up in Singapore at the current moment and she has a 3 month notice period in the UK.

Additionally, the intention is for me to move back to Singapore and start my job first, before she comes back and slowly seeks for further employment opportunities.

Can anyone please kindly advise as to whether we will be able to start the LTVP application process whilst we are still overseas (can my SC wife sponsor me without a current job in Singapore) or would it be better for the company to apply for the EP on my behalf.

Kind regards,
M.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Foreign Spouse of SC - EP / LTVP / LoC

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:22 am

Try for the EP in the first instance if you have a valid job offer. If you don't manage to get it, then go for the LTVP based on Family Ties. Worst case scenario is finding a job on the Letter of Consent. But it can also be a good thing if you haven't been able to secure something in a couple of months. (Which in the current climate over here, is very likely).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:37 am

Cheers SMS.

I will liaise with the company to apply for the EP in the first instance.

Just out of curiosity (as the government website does not seem to make it very clear cut); will I be able to apply for the LTVP online based on our current circumstances?

Current circumstances being both SC & foreign spouse living overseas for the past 3 years, foreign spouse (me) has a job offer but SC still remaining overseas to serve 3 month notice period.

Additionally, the MOM website seems to suggest that for Letter of Consent, the company offering employment should be the ones applying for the LoC online as well - is my understanding of this accurate?

Thanks again for your guidance.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 18 Nov 2017 9:03 am

Mastermind wrote:Cheers SMS.

I will liaise with the company to apply for the EP in the first instance.

Just out of curiosity (as the government website does not seem to make it very clear cut); will I be able to apply for the LTVP online based on our current circumstances?

Current circumstances being both SC & foreign spouse living overseas for the past 3 years, foreign spouse (me) has a job offer but SC still remaining overseas to serve 3 month notice period.

Additionally, the MOM website seems to suggest that for Letter of Consent, the company offering employment should be the ones applying for the LoC online as well - is my understanding of this accurate?

Thanks again for your guidance.
You can apply LTVP.

However LTVP + is at ICAs discretion. Plus makes it easier.

The notice period etc aren't of much concern.

Yes, LOC has to be applied by the employer.

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Mon, 20 Nov 2017 8:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:
You can apply LTVP.

However LTVP + is at ICAs discretion. Plus makes it easier.

The notice period etc aren't of much concern.

Yes, LOC has to be applied by the employer.

Cheers Ecureilx, that clears everything up and it all makes better sense now.

Not sure if you'd know, but have you heard of instances where company is applying for the EP and the applicant applies for a LTVP simultaneously?

Would this cause any issues or would it be better to hold off on making a personal LTVP application whilst the employers are applying for the EP.

Thanks again for all the help.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 9:12 am

Mastermind wrote:
Cheers Ecureilx, that clears everything up and it all makes better sense now.

Not sure if you'd know, but have you heard of instances where company is applying for the EP and the applicant applies for a LTVP simultaneously?

Would this cause any issues or would it be better to hold off on making a personal LTVP application whilst the employers are applying for the EP.

Thanks again for all the help.
SMS may address this query.

He's more experienced there.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 6:11 pm

No issues. LTVP will be automatically cancelled if EP is approved. Highest pass will take precedence.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 6:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No issues. LTVP will be automatically cancelled if EP is approved. Highest pass will take precedence.

sms
Brilliant, thanks for that SMS.

I was thinking of applying for the LTVP at the same time as my would-be employers are currently in the midst of applying for the EP on their end.

So if the EP gets rejected for whatever reasons, at least I'll have the LTVP application on the go and possibly attempt to go down the LOC route (I'm aware that LTVP does not guarantee LOC).

It's just that I have read conflicting views on the forum in regards to submitting two pass/permit applications (EP + LTVP) at the same time. It might have been outdated information.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 10:18 pm

What you might have read is if you have gotten an IPA for one pass and while that IPA is still out there you cannot apply with another company for an employment pass. That will definitely throw a spanner into the works. We see people get greedy that way and end up losing both jobs before the mess in MOM got cleared. Once an IPA is given (In principle approval) the only way to apply for an different pass (with a different employer) is to have the first employer formally 'withdraw' the position/pass. But you are applying for two different passes, one is an employment pass and the other is purely a residency visa. Granted you may be allowed an LoC on the residency visa but the visa comes first. But the EP will take precedence.

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 10:23 pm

Ah, that's exactly my confusion.

Thank you very much for the explanation, appreciate your help!

I shall proceed with my own application of the LTVP whilst my employers can apply for the EP on their end.

Cheers and have a great night.