Singapore Expats

A few questions regarding Long Term Visit Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
leonari

A few questions regarding Long Term Visit Pass

Post by leonari » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 11:40 am

Dear all,
My first time posting here in this forum and I apologize in advance if this is under wrong category.
I am a Singapore PR and unemployed at the moment as I was going to pursue full time diploma in local polytechnics starting from last year. However, I got married early this year in Singapore as I got pregnant with my babygirl. My husband is a diploma holder from Australia. He wishes to move here by end of this year, before our babygirl arrives. I was reading requirements on long term visit pass on ICA website and a bit unsure about a few things. Firstly, does he have to be in Singapore when we lodge the application online? Next, what do you think are the chances of him being granted LTVP with my conditions, unemployed but pregnant? Thank you so much for your time. Have a good day everyone.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: A few questions regarding Long Term Visit Pass

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 3:32 pm

leonari wrote:Dear all,
My first time posting here in this forum and I apologize in advance if this is under wrong category.
I am a Singapore PR and unemployed at the moment as I was going to pursue full time diploma in local polytechnics starting from last year. However, I got married early this year in Singapore as I got pregnant with my babygirl. My husband is a diploma holder from Australia. He wishes to move here by end of this year, before our babygirl arrives. I was reading requirements on long term visit pass on ICA website and a bit unsure about a few things. Firstly, does he have to be in Singapore when we lodge the application online? Next, what do you think are the chances of him being granted LTVP with my conditions, unemployed but pregnant? Thank you so much for your time. Have a good day everyone.
He has to have a white card - need to be in Singapore, to file for long term pass.

Being unemployed doesn't generally work well for LTVP. Rare Exception I have seen are those primary applicant holding western passports.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A few questions regarding Long Term Visit Pass

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 4:26 pm

White card = 'Applicant's Disembarkation/Embarkation (D/E) card with a valid Visit Pass granted on entry into Singapore'
https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=540&secid=171

I would expect ICA to question how you would support yourselves as a family. Who would work and would there be sufficient income, who would look after the child, where would you live, and so on.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 4:28 pm

Unsolicited advice coming up...

Diploma holder only is going to find it tough to get a decently paid job in SIN to support you & a baby. Unless you are independently wealthy/ have family support network here, might make more sense for you to move to Australia coming up.

But congrats on the baby & marriage!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 4:35 pm

I pondered them moving to Aus too, it might be easier [just my 2c]. Then again SG seem to be going to some extra lengths to discourage SGns from emigrating, esp SGns who are adding babies to the population.

leonari

Post by leonari » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 5:42 pm

Thank you for the answers everyone. It would be easier to move to Australia but my parents are here it would be much better for me to give birth in Singapore than Aus as I have my family to look after the baby as well. We just need a few years here before we migrate to Aus to let my parents spend time with the baby and hate to do long distance with my hubby while I stay here lol. Thanks for the answers again.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 7:59 pm

p.s. the other thing you can do is draw up a forecast household budget. Income vs expense. You'll find examples out on the web [I know of a UK one, but I'm sure you'll find others perhaps more local in nature]. Not only would that give you an idea of how future finances might look, it would perhaps also show ICA you have given the matter proper consideration.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: A few questions regarding Long Term Visit Pass

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 9:23 pm

JR8 wrote:I pondered them moving to Aus too, it might be easier [just my 2c]. Then again SG seem to be going to some extra lengths to discourage SGns from emigrating, esp SGns who are adding babies to the population.
OP is a PR, in case you missed it ;)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 9:44 am

Potentially your husband could qualify on his own merits for a Singapore work pass or permit. If he cannot then his income prospects in Singapore probably aren't that promising.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 1:00 pm

Not eligible for a work permit. Not from a NAS or NTS country. Only possiblility is S or EP. If only a diploma, unlikely unless heaps of experience or extremely niche diploma that Singaporeans won't generally have but the country needs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 1:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not eligible for a work permit. Not from a NAS or NTS country.
That's not correct, SMS. Work permits for performing artistes are not limited to a subset of nationalities. We have no evidence in front of us excluding that type of permit -- to play piano in a bar in Singapore, as one example. It is a possible stepping stone to a LTVP.

I think it's a good idea to double check basic facts before posting attempted corrections.

leonari

Post by leonari » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 2:16 pm

I see. Yes I am just a PR, we do have a plan to move to Australia but I really want to give birth here and spend time with my family for a few years first. Seems like it won't work well for him to move here :(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 2:29 pm

I don't think the OP's husband is a performing artist. No sense cluttering up the board as you are wont to do with a lot a extraneous BS that isn't relevant the the thread. I try to keep my answers relevant and not overwhelming to the point that some just tl:dr your posts and then send me a PM for relevant answers. What to do?

Additionally the Entertainment pass is only good for 6 months and a minimum of 1 year from the end of the pass before one can apply for ANY TYPE OF WORK PASS. Not what I think they are looking for, do you? Or you just don't care, as long as you can type something to everything, relevant or otherwise.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... quirements
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: A few questions regarding Long Term Visit Pass

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 3:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't think the OP's husband is a performing artist. No sense cluttering up the board as you are wont to do with a lot a extraneous BS that isn't relevant the the thread.
+1

BBCWatcher wrote:We have no evidence in front of us excluding that type of permit -- to play piano in a bar in Singapore, as one example. It is a possible stepping stone to a LTVP.
Performing artist to Long term pass ? That has only worked at rare times when sponsor is a citizen. For others, the application gets junked pretty fast ...

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 4:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't think the OP's husband is a performing artist.
I admire your psychic powers, but obviously we have no such evidence to make that assumption.
No sense cluttering up the board as you are wont to do with a lot a extraneous BS that isn't relevant the the thread.
I did not. "Work pass or permit" is what I wrote (within the second shortest post in the whole thread). You followed up with a longer, factually inaccurate (and thus extraneous, by definition) "correction" because you mistakenly did not like the word "permit." You erred, not I. You cluttered, not I.