Singapore Expats

Short term visit pass limit

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ThuyChi

Short term visit pass limit

Post by ThuyChi » Sun, 21 Feb 2016 4:23 pm

Well, after a few years of moving out of Singapore, I am now confronted with this question again. Mostly because I have not been keeping track and I have searched quite a bit on the forum but can't seem to find it. Anyway, here goes: what's the maximum "unofficial" limit that one can stay in Singapore on a Social visit pass accumulatively? I remember it used to be 60 days (or was it 90?) for 180 days?

If it does help, I'm Vietnamese, used to study for about 5 years in Sg. I am now a film production manager in HCMC, and I am thinking of taking a month's break in Singapore in March. Well, work-from-hotel break, so I can get away from the phone ringing 24/7 and just deal with the emails and be with my partner and friends I know from my college days. But then I was in town for about 2 weeks in Jan for work, and now I am just worried they'll turn me around at immigration. I can't afford to take Apr or May or June off - that'll be my high season back here. Not that taking the entire March off is my brightest idea, but I am kinda burnt out and my fellow producers and AD friends in HCMC will all be out of town for March anyway.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Short term visit pass limit

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 21 Feb 2016 8:21 pm

ThuyChi wrote:: what's the maximum "unofficial" limit that one can stay in Singapore on a Social visit pass accumulatively? I remember it used to be 60 days (or was it 90?) for 180 days?
There is no such limit.

A social visa is for "up to" 30 days, with a possible extension of another 30 days or another additional 30 days extension on next request, subject to immigration's discretion.

Maximum of 90 days.

But plan for 60 days maximum.

If you are a female from VN, you may be refused extension on your first extension. "MAYBE" is the key word.

Somebody may chime in with alternates, like staying in MalaysiaImage:D

ThuyChi

Post by ThuyChi » Sun, 21 Feb 2016 8:38 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ThuyChi wrote:: what's the maximum "unofficial" limit that one can stay in Singapore on a Social visit pass accumulatively? I remember it used to be 60 days (or was it 90?) for 180 days?
There is no such limit.

A social visa is for "up to" 30 days, with a possible extension of another 30 days or another additional 30 days extension on next request, subject to immigration's discretion.

Maximum of 90 days.

But plan for 60 days maximum.

If you are a female from VN, you may be refused extension on your first extension. "MAYBE" is the key word.

Somebody may chime in with alternates, like staying in MalaysiaImage:D
Haha yeah, I know the "up to" and "maybe" thing. I don't have any intention in extending - I have real life waiting for me after the one month hiatus :P I was just worried that since I was there on Jan for like 2 weeks, I'd cross some invisible line if I do another 30 days in March :wink:

So far in ASEAN countries, every time as soon as I say film producer / film production manager, people just wave me past. Some get curious and ask which film I did last, but that's as far as it goes. May help that I am not pretty , and am grossly overweight :lol:

I don't really have personal friends in Malaysia. I am so not bunking with some producer I barely know there unless it's for work :roll:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:03 am

ThuyChi wrote:So far in ASEAN countries, every time as soon as I say film producer / film production manager, people just wave me past. Some get curious and ask which film I did last, but that's as far as it goes. May help that I am not pretty , and am grossly overweight :lol:
Well, Singapore, though being part of Asean, is very strict for Social visa, and you should know that.

In Philippines I can extend my Social visa for upto a year, and then pay a processing free for departure and come back in a week.

Try that in Singapore :)

Anyway, your call.

ThuyChi

Post by ThuyChi » Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:03 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ThuyChi wrote:So far in ASEAN countries, every time as soon as I say film producer / film production manager, people just wave me past. Some get curious and ask which film I did last, but that's as far as it goes. May help that I am not pretty , and am grossly overweight :lol:
Well, Singapore, though being part of Asean, is very strict for Social visa, and you should know that.

In Philippines I can extend my Social visa for upto a year, and then pay a processing free for departure and come back in a week.

Try that in Singapore :)

Anyway, your call.
Haha yeah, Singapore is very strict on Social Visa. Illegal workers and all :roll: It's been getting tighter and tighter after the past 2 GE.

Annnddd work came up. Seems like my sabbatical isn't going to happen :cry: Plus I'd rather not get turned away at immigration just for an undisclosed reason when I have to travel quite a bit for work.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 22 Feb 2016 6:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:A social visa is for "up to" 30 days....
Visitors who are citizens of Vietnam are routinely granted up to 30 days at entry, yes. However, citizens of a few other countries are routinely granted up to 90 days at entry.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Short term visit pass limit

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Feb 2016 9:55 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
ecureilx wrote:A social visa is for "up to" 30 days....
Visitors who are citizens of Vietnam are routinely granted up to 30 days at entry, yes. However, citizens of a few other countries are routinely granted up to 90 days at entry.
Not to barge in but some Vietnam passport holders also routinely get sent back home upon arrival. With no reasons given.

Wait, didn't I state the "30 day on arrival" information far far ahead in this same thread ?

And then I do remember you like to volunteer needless information, for the sake of completeness. Bravo. Image

It may be nicer to state which country passport holders may get 90 day visa.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Short term visit pass limit

Post by carlsum1986 » Tue, 23 Feb 2016 5:59 pm

I used to attempt to do this in 2011 before i was able to get my employment pass. You are allowed up to a quota of 90 days every six months as per the information that the immigration officer explained when she stamped my passport with less than 30 days.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Short term visit pass limit

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 23 Feb 2016 7:19 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:I used to attempt to do this in 2011 before i was able to get my employment pass. You are allowed up to a quota of 90 days every six months as per the information that the immigration officer explained when she stamped my passport with less than 30 days.
Where didn't mention your nationality :)

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:39 am

ecureilx wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:I used to attempt to do this in 2011 before i was able to get my employment pass. You are allowed up to a quota of 90 days every six months as per the information that the immigration officer explained when she stamped my passport with less than 30 days.
Malaysian

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:53 am

carlsum1986 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Malaysian
Malaysians can do weekly visa runs and it wont' matter. Still don't apply in this guy's case - Vietnam Passport holder. :)

In fact, A few Malaysians travel in daily and back and ICA don't care.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:02 am

ecureilx wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Where didn't mention your nationality :)
Malaysian
Malaysians can do weekly visa runs and it wont' matter. Still don't apply in this guy's case - Vietnam Passport holder. :)

There is a limit on the number of days Malaysians can travel in and out on a visa on arrival.

Those that travel in and out usually have a work permit

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:47 am

carlsum1986 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:
Malaysian

There is a limit on the number of days Malaysians can travel in and out on a visa on arrival.

Can you refer to the source ? :)

Because I have friends who sometime visit Singapore every day for a few weeks at a time, and they never had any problems. Interesting to know if you say otherwise.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:48 am

ecureilx wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Can you refer to the source ? :)

Because I have friends who sometime visit Singapore every day for a few weeks at a time, and they never had any problems. Interesting to know if you say otherwise.

I am speaking from personal experience. Anyway there is no use to keep debating this issue :)
I will let the OP try it on their own and let us know the outcome

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:05 am

carlsum1986 wrote:I am speaking from personal experience. Anyway there is no use to keep debating this issue :)
I will let the OP try it on their own and let us know the outcome
Agreed, and ... a Malaysian passport holder's privileges won't help A Vietnam Passport holder :D

There, I still had the last word :D :D