Singapore Expats

PR vis spouse scheme

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
coolguyz

PR vis spouse scheme

Post by coolguyz » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 7:41 am

hello friends

Im a foreigner married to a SC. Previously I was a S pass holder, however currently I'm a LTVP holder.. I was going through PR application process. They have 2 options. via technical scheme - sp / ep or via spouse scheme. I will not be able to get another s pass or ep because in that case they will revoke my ltvp. Now my only option for now is apply for PR via Spouse scheme. I'm 25years old. My concern is NS requirement. If i apply through spouse scheme, do i have to server NS or should I only register? From what I read I saw serving NS is a mandatory requirement for anyone who apply through spouse scheme. Anyone can confirm this? Any recent / known experience?
Last edited by coolguyz on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR vis spouse scheme

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 8:16 am

I got my pr via the Family Ties scheme but that was a quarter of a century ago. But, it's a good possibility that under the current thought processes, you might have to do NS if you get you PR that way. I think it's an age based situation. Normally, however, while you do have to register for NS you are normally given a waiver from actually doing it. In your case, I would hope that they did make you do NS as you are only 25.

However, I don't understand what your concern is about losing the ltvp? If you get another S or EP pass, of course they will cancel your ltvp. However, as soon as you lose your S or EP pass, you will be able to reapply for another ltvp. This is a null issue. In fact, your ltvp is only valid for 3/6/9/12 months normally. Get a job!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

coolguyz

Post by coolguyz » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:37 am

Thank you for the reply but i think you are not aware of the current ltvp formalities. I "am" doing a job. We get a special pass/letter "Letter of consent" which allow us to work here without a sp or ep and the benefit of this LOC is no Quota or monthly levy required. So why would anyone want to loose this LOC and go for a SP / EP?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:56 am

coolguyz wrote:Thank you for the reply but i think you are not aware of the current ltvp formalities. I "am" doing a job. We get a special pass/letter "Letter of consent" which allow us to work here without a sp or ep and the benefit of this LOC is no Quota or monthly levy required. So why would anyone want to loose this LOC and go for a SP / EP?
Isn't the LTVP tied to your spouse?

Therefore if you have your own pass SP/EP then you are in control of your own destiny , as much as you can be in Singapore when a foreigner.

So it seems fairly logical to be on your own pass to me.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:19 am

As an HR manager I think I am fully aware what an LTVP is. Sadly you don't seem to know the difference between the LTVP and the LTVP+.

It would be nice had you been a little bit clearer as to what type of pass you were currently holding. There is a big difference between an LTVP and an LTVP+. Not all persons married to locals citizens are able to get the LTVP+. This makes a big difference.

Barnsley, if the LTVP+ was being held by a EP holder's spouse (Dependent pass originally) then yes, it would make more sense to get an S or EP if at all possible because it is tied to the EP holder who, if loses their job, the LoC is automatically cancelled as well. The LoC tied to a Citizen/PR still has to be renewed periodically but it isn't tied to the employment of the SC/PR spouse. Much better game.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

coolguyz

Post by coolguyz » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:23 am

yup thats right. From what I know the main difference between ltvp and ltvp+ is just the duration of stay. For example ltvp+ starts with minimum 3 year valid pass.

Anyways my concern is about NS requirements. If I cann NS helpline you think they will be able to advice me?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:43 am

Additionally, if you want to apply for PR, no big deal. Fill out the form and apply for it. The fact that you are on an LoC is not a concern. Just state that fact and apply for it. If you were on an S or EP previously, also show that fact as well. Therefore there is continuity to support the fact that you were suitably qualified in your own right before getting the LoC. Even the ICA/MOM approves of move to the LTVP+ to level up the inequalities that were where there when the LTVP+ was only allowable to the dependents of EP holders. Then in January they made the LTVP+ available to the spouses of PRs in addition to the SCs.

As I said, normally, after you register for NS you will get a waiver from actually doing the NS. However, since the GE of 2011, it would seem that this is being reviewed and it may well be opposed to what the ICA/MOM feel (this happens quite often). They may deem the LoC and the tender young age as a reason for insisting on doing NS. I don't have any anecdotal evidence to support either/or at this point though. It's an ongoing question though.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=96101

coolguyz

Post by coolguyz » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:51 am

Thank you for that detailed explanation. I really appreciate it