Singapore Expats

Giving up PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
WoShiFate

Giving up PR

Post by WoShiFate » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 10:24 pm

Hey guys, I'm about to get enlisted soon this year i guess but the thing is i might consider to give up my PR due to several reasons. One of which is that I will most probably not stay in Singapore anymore. And yes, I will also not work in Singapore also to those that think that my sole reason of renouncing PR is to escape NS. (Though i doubt i could get a EP if i renounce)

The problem is I'm still pondering over this issue and I wonder what are the full consequences of renouncing PR. Will my parents' PR status be affected by my decision? What will happen to my tuition grant's bond?...

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Giving up PR

Post by taxico » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:03 pm

WoShiFate wrote:Hey guys, I'm about to get enlisted soon this year i guess but the thing is i might consider to give up my PR due to several reasons. One of which is that I will most probably not stay in Singapore anymore. And yes, I will also not work in Singapore also to those that think that my sole reason of renouncing PR is to escape NS. (Though i doubt i could get a EP if i renounce)

The problem is I'm still pondering over this issue and I wonder what are the full consequences of renouncing PR. Will my parents' PR status be affected by my decision? What will happen to my tuition grant's bond?...
...i suggest you take a look in "strict speaking" subforum (inside/below General Discussions) too.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:05 pm

ooooh. and this... i almost forgot:

http://therealsingapore.com/content/ind ... o-avoid-ns

gold.spot
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by gold.spot » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 10:18 am

Long time lurker here, but I just want to say this - two years of your life is nothing compared to the life experience you potentially will get serving the army. It's only two years, people believe two years are a waste of time, but I would say two years is just a passing phase - and in life, no experience is bad experience.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Re: Giving up PR

Post by rdueej » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 11:23 am

WoShiFate wrote:Hey guys, I'm about to get enlisted soon this year i guess but the thing is i might consider to give up my PR due to several reasons. One of which is that I will most probably not stay in Singapore anymore. And yes, I will also not work in Singapore also to those that think that my sole reason of renouncing PR is to escape NS. (Though i doubt i could get a EP if i renounce)

The problem is I'm still pondering over this issue and I wonder what are the full consequences of renouncing PR.
Check the 'strictly speaking' sub-forum, there will be many consequences.

Will my parents' PR status be affected by my decision?
There is a strong chance that their REP might not be renewed.

What will happen to my tuition grant's bond?...
What level of studies/course was this tuition grant for? This agreement is between you as an individual, your sureties and the government. It has nothing to do with your status in Singapore. In fact, there is a clause in most agreements which account for this. I am paraphrasing here:'actions such as renouncing PR status, criminal convictions (or similar...) which cause the individual to become ineligible for work passes in Singapore, do not excuse the bond obligations'. If you do a runner on this as well, the sureties will become liable.

WoShiFate

Post by WoShiFate » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for the comments guys! Additional details below, I'm considered 20 years old, just graduated from polytechnic so my tuition grant is for the diploma level... There's another issue is that I have to serve in M'sia NS too... Apparently i got selected =.='' So I'm kinda stuck at a crossroad right now... I have several reasons for giving up my PR status but the things that are keeping me back are the dire consequences of renouncing my PR status as well as friends that I have in SG.. I don't really have much friends in Msia TBH

But let's say even if i serve SG, chances are high that I wont stay/reside in SG in the near future so in the end my PR status will still get revoke right?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 5:11 pm

Do your NS. Go for SC. Renounce MY citizenship after doing your 3 month MY NS. Not that hard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_National_Service

WoShiFate

Post by WoShiFate » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 7:10 pm

PNGMK wrote:Do your NS. Go for SC. Renounce MY citizenship after doing your 3 month MY NS. Not that hard.

I think you got it all wrong... I believed i said that I will not reside/work in Singapore in the near future so why would I renounce MY citizenship and get SG citizenship?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 7:11 pm

WoShiFate wrote:...But let's say even if i serve SG, chances are high that I wont stay/reside in SG in the near future so in the end my PR status will still get revoke right?
but at least singapore will welcome you back in future if you complete your NS and you don't renew your SPR...

malaysia is a little too close to singapore to not think harder about the consequences...

WoShiFate

Post by WoShiFate » Sun, 06 Apr 2014 5:46 pm

taxico wrote:
WoShiFate wrote:...But let's say even if i serve SG, chances are high that I wont stay/reside in SG in the near future so in the end my PR status will still get revoke right?
but at least singapore will welcome you back in future if you complete your NS and you don't renew your SPR...

malaysia is a little too close to singapore to not think harder about the consequences...
But then after NS, if I give up my PR, the HDB would have to be sold and if someday I decided to take up PR again, it won't necessarily be 100% that I will get it back right?... That's my concern you see..

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 9:07 am

From what you have mentioned above:

So you don't have friends in Malaysia, you have your friends in Singapore, whom you will miss dearly if you have to leave.

You have 3 months of Malaysia NS with a module that is full of manure in comparison to the module in those 2 years of Singapore NS.

You have been given an opportunity to study in Singapore with a grant, where in Malaysia, you have to be either rich or well-connected or born right to have quality education.

And at the age of 20, you have decided that Singapore will never ever be in your path.

I don't understand why. You will have to tell us the full story if you need our advice.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 10:06 am

At your age, it is too early to say that you will never work in Singapore especially since you are from MY. So think carefully about your decision.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:10 pm

You have already made your decision of giving up PR. You are simply looking to people to validate your decision.

WoShiFate wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Do your NS. Go for SC. Renounce MY citizenship after doing your 3 month MY NS. Not that hard.

I think you got it all wrong... I believed i said that I will not reside/work in Singapore in the near future so why would I renounce MY citizenship and get SG citizenship?

WoShiFate

Post by WoShiFate » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:53 am

midlet2013 wrote:You have already made your decision of giving up PR. You are simply looking to people to validate your decision.
[/quote]

That's not entirely true! I would have long ago given it up if that's was the case. I'm still stuck between the two decisions...

WoShiFate

Post by WoShiFate » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:55 am

the lynx wrote:From what you have mentioned above:

So you don't have friends in Malaysia, you have your friends in Singapore, whom you will miss dearly if you have to leave.

You have 3 months of Malaysia NS with a module that is full of manure in comparison to the module in those 2 years of Singapore NS.

You have been given an opportunity to study in Singapore with a grant, where in Malaysia, you have to be either rich or well-connected or born right to have quality education.

And at the age of 20, you have decided that Singapore will never ever be in your path.

I don't understand why. You will have to tell us the full story if you need our advice.
One of the main problems is family problems, I choose not to divulge much as it's quite personal... And regarding about why I'm certain is that my future will not be in Singapore is that you can say that I have a future secured in M'sia already...