Singapore Expats

On legality of working in Singapore while on a paid sabbatical leave

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
generao

On legality of working in Singapore while on a paid sabbatical leave

Post by generao » Wed, 18 May 2022 2:15 pm

Dear Forum, would anyone be able to tell me that for an EP holder, if it is legal to work in Singapore while taking a paid sabbatical leave in a different company in my home country?

Note that I am talking about the field of academia, which before I believe it is a common practice. But when the HR in Singapore checking with me about this information, the lady seems not sure about the legality and I couldn't find the relevant information online. Of course, I do know I cannot hold two different positions within Singapore, but this is a different story, plus I don't have any contractual obligation for the company in my home country since I am on sabbatical leave. This really confuses me. Any clarification would be highly appreciated!
by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2022 6:03 pm
Two different questions here and the answers to either could depend on the other question. In theory, because earnings earned while outside Singapore are not taxable or reportable in Singapore, It would appear to be a moot question. Having a EP in Singapore just means you cannot work for another Singaporean employer, but does not preclude you working, say with an overseas employer remotely from Singapore as you do not need any sort of work pass to do so, but as you have residency here, that income earned from a overseas employer (as long as they do not have clients or a presence in Singapore) is still reportable to IRAS and should have income taxes paid on it as it was earned and the work performed while in Singapore. So if you are out of the country on sabbatical or just a long holiday, it shouldn't be an issue.
Go to full post

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: On legality of working in Singapore while on a paid sabbatical leave

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2022 6:03 pm

Two different questions here and the answers to either could depend on the other question. In theory, because earnings earned while outside Singapore are not taxable or reportable in Singapore, It would appear to be a moot question. Having a EP in Singapore just means you cannot work for another Singaporean employer, but does not preclude you working, say with an overseas employer remotely from Singapore as you do not need any sort of work pass to do so, but as you have residency here, that income earned from a overseas employer (as long as they do not have clients or a presence in Singapore) is still reportable to IRAS and should have income taxes paid on it as it was earned and the work performed while in Singapore. So if you are out of the country on sabbatical or just a long holiday, it shouldn't be an issue.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers