Singapore Expats Forum

[Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
cowboy56280
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 1:17 pm

[Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by cowboy56280 » Mon, 21 Jan 2019 1:37 pm

Hi,

I have recently submitted my first time PR application to ICA. Been reading a lot in this forum but still don't get a clear picture of what successful stories' pattern. Would be appreciated if you can help me on assessing my chances on getting PR.

Age: 31
Gender: Male
Race: Chinese
Education: Master degree of Computer Science
Family Status: Married to a Chinese with a 3-year-old boy (they are holding DPs and stay in SG with me)
Work Status: Currently I am working for Alibaba based in SG, salary 12k SGD per month
Job type: Strategy and Operation (I am not an engineer)
Stay: a bit more than 2 years - I came to SG in late 2016 and stayed ever since.

I am applying for the whole family so I guess my boy is a positive point based on what I read previously since he will serve NS when he gets 18 (Which both me and my wife think is OKAY)

I know the time stay is a bit short comparing to others who have been here for more than 10 yrs, but still want to get a try - after all ICA says application can be submitted as long as stay is over 6 months and it's just 300 dollars, worth trying.

Thank you!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Jan 2019 3:44 pm

Yes, the site does say you can apply for PR after 6 months here. However, your chances are extremely slim unless you are a rocket scientist or a neurosurgeon. But if your faith is strong enough, who knows. Nothing ventured nothing gained and yeah, $300 is just a month's worth of booze and that much more unhealthy. But if you don't take rejection easily, maybe you would like to think about it some more and possibly not try to jump the gun from the anecdotal evidence that strongly points to the two years/3 tax assessments jumping in point.

cowboy56280
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 1:17 pm

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by cowboy56280 » Mon, 21 Jan 2019 4:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yes, the site does say you can apply for PR after 6 months here. However, your chances are extremely slim unless you are a rocket scientist or a neurosurgeon. But if your faith is strong enough, who knows. Nothing ventured nothing gained and yeah, $300 is just a month's worth of booze and that much more unhealthy. But if you don't take rejection easily, maybe you would like to think about it some more and possibly not try to jump the gun from the anecdotal evidence that strongly points to the two years/3 tax assessments jumping in point.
Thanks for the kind reply!
I actually want this to be a starting point to try - I have many friends got rejected multiple times but still trying. My thinking behind this is like - why not try instead of waiting and guessing at the same time.

Do you foresee any negative point on frequent applications?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Jan 2019 4:08 pm

Yeah, I/we do. While we cannot say for sure as ICA hold their cards extremely close to their collective chests, we cannot help but feel that they might well wonder 'why' the urgency to get PR. They seems to feel it takes a minimum of 2 to 3 years before a person well and truly knows if this is the type of place they want to remain in permanently. When the candidates start applying urgently and early, it sometimes appear that they want to buy a HDB to flip for gain as was the popular scam a few years ago and it put a pretty sour taste in ICA's mouth as it were.

Having said that, you ARE not of one of the ethnic groups who were rather famous for that type of stuff so have a go. Maybe you will get lucky.

cowboy56280
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 1:17 pm

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by cowboy56280 » Mon, 21 Jan 2019 4:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, I/we do. While we cannot say for sure as ICA hold their cards extremely close to their collective chests, we cannot help but feel that they might well wonder 'why' the urgency to get PR. They seems to feel it takes a minimum of 2 to 3 years before a person well and truly knows if this is the type of place they want to remain in permanently. When the candidates start applying urgently and early, it sometimes appear that they want to buy a HDB to flip for gain as was the popular scam a few years ago and it put a pretty sour taste in ICA's mouth as it were.

Having said that, you ARE not of one of the ethnic groups who were rather famous for that type of stuff so have a go. Maybe you will get lucky.
this is really helpful - I haven't thought about that HDB factor, which is quite a popular thing in my own country (I don't like it - sad but true, and I believe SG did a great job on preventing this).

BTW, I did not see a place for me to upload my NOAs (I have done 17', 18' tax contribution and twice tax clearance since I changed my job) - I only signed a consent form authorizing ICA to access my IRAS information. Does that work the same way?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Jan 2019 4:55 pm

Yep. They will go directly to IRAS to access your tax records. That way you don't have to upload anything at all, and if you haven't been paying your taxes they will also see that as well...they have seen almost everything so you could say it's pretty hard to pull the wool over their eyes now.

cowboy56280
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 1:17 pm

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by cowboy56280 » Mon, 21 Jan 2019 5:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yes, the site does say you can apply for PR after 6 months here. However, your chances are extremely slim unless you are a rocket scientist or a neurosurgeon. But if your faith is strong enough, who knows. Nothing ventured nothing gained and yeah, $300 is just a month's worth of booze and that much more unhealthy. But if you don't take rejection easily, maybe you would like to think about it some more and possibly not try to jump the gun from the anecdotal evidence that strongly points to the two years/3 tax assessments jumping in point.
Also, I did notice the requirement of 3 tax assessments somewhere previously when I was doing the research on applications but this time (I submitted my application earlier this month) I have not seen that either on ICA website or form 4A. (not sure if I missed it or they removed it). Anyway I got your point, I am not sure how long is enough but will keep trying :) O:)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 Feb 2019 1:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yes, the site does say you can apply for PR after 6 months here. However, your chances are extremely slim unless you are a rocket scientist or a neurosurgeon. But if your faith is strong enough, who knows. Nothing ventured nothing gained and yeah, $300 is just a month's worth of booze and that much more unhealthy. But if you don't take rejection easily, maybe you would like to think about it some more and possibly not try to jump the gun from the anecdotal evidence that strongly points to the two years/3 tax assessments jumping in point.
Wow! You spend that much on booze? I buy a 500ml can of Kirin beer from 7-11 for $5.30 once a week. So less than $25 a month.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Feb 2019 7:02 pm

Me? Nah. I go out and have a few drinks one night every 3 or 4 months if I'm lucky (and that is the rare eagles gathering). I don't drink at home at all. But back in the day when I was working in the oil patch, on a 2 & 1 schedule (months). that month I was back I was 25 years younger and it was easy to spend a Hundred a night if I was unlucky, more if I was lucky. ;-) Thankfully I made it through that period in reasonably good condition. Lot saner today. ;-)

Altius19
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 5:56 pm

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by Altius19 » Sat, 16 Feb 2019 8:32 pm

Hi
What would you think are my chances:
1. Age 33
2. Single. Indian in Banking sector.
3. stayed here for 5 years now

thank you

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Feb 2019 9:36 pm

Little to zero. Without knowing your level, income and achievements/academics, the rest won't do it for you, I'm afraid.

cowboy56280
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 1:17 pm

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by cowboy56280 » Sat, 07 Sep 2019 9:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 21 Jan 2019 3:44 pm
Yes, the site does say you can apply for PR after 6 months here. However, your chances are extremely slim unless you are a rocket scientist or a neurosurgeon. But if your faith is strong enough, who knows. Nothing ventured nothing gained and yeah, $300 is just a month's worth of booze and that much more unhealthy. But if you don't take rejection easily, maybe you would like to think about it some more and possibly not try to jump the gun from the anecdotal evidence that strongly points to the two years/3 tax assessments jumping in point.
Coming back to this thread - already 8 months since I applied still pending..

seems 2019 batch is kinda slow huh, a lot of pending cases.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Sep 2019 2:44 pm

Anecdotal evidence points to an average of 12~18 months now. A few shorter but the longer holding period seems more prevalent due to the more vigorous vetting of applications. I also sometimes wonder if ICA does it to see how many are just 'throwing their hat in the ring' to see if they might get lucky and really aren't needing or wanting PR, except for the fact that they can be unemployed for a while longer in between jobs. Kind of like buying Singapore Sweep tickets or the US powerball scratch & win tickets.

User avatar
bhalvindrakumar.maran
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 11:53 am

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by bhalvindrakumar.maran » Wed, 11 Sep 2019 3:34 pm

I am abit confuse too on my pr application as its almost 6 months and still pending.

I am :
Malaysian
Indian
26
Employment Pass
Salary :2700
Working in SG from May 17


P/S : Two of my friends whom are in the same profile and same university gotten their pr within 3 months time suprisingly. Any chances or causes of delay?. Kindly advise

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: [Pls Help] PR application chances assessment

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Sep 2019 3:46 pm

Stay confused for another 12 month or so. Can take easily 18 months or longer. Two of your friends, unless all came out of the same womb with you and have been attached to your body since birth are not the same. Therefore their chances are different than yours. NOBODY has the same profile. When are you people going to learn that? Your profile is different from everybody else unless you and they were cloned.

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest