Singapore Expats

New Zealand citizen travelling to Australia

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
mkim054

New Zealand citizen travelling to Australia

Post by mkim054 » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a New Zealand citizen currently living in Singapore and I need to travel to Sydney next month. I've seen the recent travel updates by AU but it seems like they are only applicable for SG passport holders.
Could anyone give me any advice or information on non-SG citizens travelling to AU? I've contacted AU high commission & SG home affairs but they just gave me some links to AU government websites...

It'd be much appreciated if anyone could share some information, thanks!

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: New Zealand citizen travelling to Australia

Post by MikeJones » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 11:09 pm

Just taking a look at this myself as I may need to go to Melbourne end of next month and I must say the AU Govt. travel websites are a hot mess.

From this page: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav ... ions#toc-4 at the bottom of the list of exempt categories list is this: "a fully vaccinated New Zealand passport holder seeking to enter Australia on a Special Category (TY444) visa."
And from here is a description of the above visa category:
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/g ... bclass-444
It says you apply for this when you arrive in Australia and includes for visiting Australia, now I've been to Aus dozens of times to visit and work for a week or two and no-one has ever mentioned this visa before so I can only assume NZ passport holders get it automatically when we arrive in Aus??

So I think NZ passport holders can travel to Australia from Singapore but it is really not clear. In my case it is a work request so I'm just going to punt this back to HR and let them sort it out.

mkim054

Post by mkim054 » Wed, 16 Feb 2022 2:04 pm

Thank you @MikeJones for your advice! I totally agree with you, I think AU Govt is still trying to sort out the restrictions.
I think I'm just going to try applying for the TY444 visa since it doesn't cost anything anyway. I'm a DP holder in SG so unfortunately I need to sort this out myself :(
Hopefully AU'd figure out everything by 21 Feb...

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 16 Feb 2022 11:06 pm

I don’t think there are any restrictions if you are a resident of SG as that would mean you would have been compliant with the relevant restrictions prior to departure.

mkim054

Post by mkim054 » Wed, 23 Feb 2022 8:01 am

MikeJones wrote:
Tue, 15 Feb 2022 11:09 pm
Just taking a look at this myself as I may need to go to Melbourne end of next month and I must say the AU Govt. travel websites are a hot mess.

From this page: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav ... ions#toc-4 at the bottom of the list of exempt categories list is this: "a fully vaccinated New Zealand passport holder seeking to enter Australia on a Special Category (TY444) visa."
And from here is a description of the above visa category:
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/g ... bclass-444
It says you apply for this when you arrive in Australia and includes for visiting Australia, now I've been to Aus dozens of times to visit and work for a week or two and no-one has ever mentioned this visa before so I can only assume NZ passport holders get it automatically when we arrive in Aus??

So I think NZ passport holders can travel to Australia from Singapore but it is really not clear. In my case it is a work request so I'm just going to punt this back to HR and let them sort it out.
Looks like the details on the website you mentioned have been updated since 21st; "a fully vaccinated New Zealand passport holder seeking to enter Australia on a Special Category (TY444) visa.' has been removed from the list of exempt categories list... So I guess no need to apply for any visa for New Zealanders?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:36 am

The site says ALL travelers will need to have an exemption letter and a visa.

mkim054

Post by mkim054 » Sat, 26 Feb 2022 3:39 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:36 am
The site says ALL travelers will need to have an exemption letter and a visa.
So you mean New Zealand citizens also need a visa to visit Australia now?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:35 pm

I’m not exactly sure but thats what it appears to be. Would probably be good to double check though.