Singapore Expats

Health insurance for newborn before birth

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
Valerie1

Health insurance for newborn before birth

Post by Valerie1 » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 9:53 pm

Hi! We are expecting a child and want to make sure that it is covered from day 1, including in cases of complications (such as premature birth). Hospital / emergency coverage is the most important aspect for us.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, affordable insurance? We cannot register the child with our current health insurance and the option we were advised on requires at least one parent to be insured with them (otherwise they will only cover the child after a health screening, meaning that complications at birth etc. are not covered).

Ideally, it will be an insurance that we can purchase for 6 months only or that we can cancel upon return to our home country (as we will be leaving Singapore mid-next year).

Thanks so much for your advice!
Valerie

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Health insurance for newborn before birth

Post by malcontent » Wed, 28 Sep 2022 10:41 pm

I suspect that this is going to be a tough one. My company is known to be generous with such insurance and benefits, and they decided to self-insure this item, with a flat S$6,000 maximum claim which my spouse could use. My company self-insures quite a few things because the value of insurance offerings in the market here makes is often not worthwhile.

We used that up that $6,000 plus her entire Medisave balance at the time, and still had substantial out of pocket to boot. Generally speaking, I don’t believe such things are typically covered here, and from memory there is a period of time that has to lapse before your child can even be put under your family insurance cover.

Singapore is not a great place for such things, you’ll often be much better off in a Western country.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Poh475

Re: Health insurance for newborn before birth

Post by Poh475 » Tue, 03 Jan 2023 4:54 pm

You can google Health insurance for foreigners in Singapore,

iirc, prudential,AIA,NTUC,Great eastern and Raffles Health insurance offers local plans for foreigners.

Not sure if i can post this link https://www.moneysmart.sg/health-insura ... foreigners

The base plan + rider means your co-pay is 5% of the total bill, capped at $3,000 a year if the treatment is performed by a panel doctor/government hospital.

However the premiums vary.
Most of them requires the client to pay the final bills before submitting for claim, regardless if the bill is $1,000 or $500,000. The client has to settle the bill and submit the claim for assessment.

Only AIA provides pre-authorisation feature for foreigners, which means AIA will pay the bill directly to the hospital. However if the hospitalisation is due to emergency or accident, you will still need to foot the bill and claim afterwards.

If you are just looking for just 6 months, you can look at Prudential or AIA, they offer monthly payment for the rider, but main plan has to be annual premium if I am not wrong.