Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore German Corner

Want to learn a new language? Find someone who can help here.
hitmebabyonemoretime

Singapore German Corner

Post by hitmebabyonemoretime » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:09 am

Hallo together!

I am trying to organise a language exchange group "Singapore German Corner", this group has the following characteristics:

- non-profit, apolitical, language exchange only
- for locals and expats alike, who are interested in language/cultural exchange (German vs any local language), sharing travel experiences (Asia vs Germany), or just to make friends.

The Goethe Institute used to organise a monthly Stammtisch, but that seemed to have stopped, so I thought I'd organise something on my own, I have some experience organising a language exchange group in Zurich. However, it might be a while before we have critical number of members to organise an outing. In the meantime, if you're interested, do get in touch, I'll organise an event as soon as we've a good number of members :)

Liebe Gruesse,
HMBOMT

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Halo! Ich bin Ambidexter!

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:10 am

Das ist sehr interresant fuer mich. Ich bin nur jetzt in A2, aber ich moechte diese Singapore German Corner probieren. Ich bin sehr scheu, weil mein Deutsch muntlich noch sehr schlecht ist.

Ich kann Englisch, Bahasa und sehr ein bisschen Japanisch sprechen.

Bitte kontaktieren Sie mich, wenn Sie die interessierten Mitglieder gesammelt haben

Ich hoffe, Sie haben schon auch eine "Curriculum" fuer diese Gruppe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So as not to deviate too much from an "international forum" I'll translate that in English.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That's very interesting for me. I'm currently only in A2, but I want to try this Singapore German Corner. I'm very shy, because my German speaking is still very bad.

I can speak English, Bahasa and a very little Japanese

Please contact me when you've gathered the members.

I hope, you already have a 'Curriculum' for this group too."
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

hitmebabyonemoretime

Re: Halo! Ich bin Ambidexter!

Post by hitmebabyonemoretime » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:25 am

Akimbo wrote:
So as not to deviate too much from an "international forum" I'll translate that in English.
"
Guete Morge! Danke vielmals fuer den Bescheid, darueber freue mich sehr!

Kindly pm me with your email address, so it'll be easier for us to stay in touch.

also, thanks to the other members contacting me via pm!

have a great midweek!

regards, HMBOMT

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:52 am

The fact that there are actually other members that's interested but only PMed but never posted in the thread just makes me sad...that means, other than the OP, people wouldn't know who else is also interested, and therefore we can also meet to talk of the same interest... :(

BTW, I've sent the PM.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Post by ChrisCH » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 2:12 pm

hitmebabyonemoretime wrote: Guete Morge!
First we gotta get that Swiss German slang out of you... I'll understand you but only cause I lived as a German in Zurich before.

My wife is doing A2 at the moment and already set up a weekly study meeting with some friends... but some Stammtisch or similar with more people sounds fun - so keep us posted.

Cheers,

Chris

hitmebabyonemoretime

Post by hitmebabyonemoretime » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:38 am

First we gotta get that Swiss German slang out of you... I'll understand you but only cause I lived as a German in Zurich before.
well spotted! i have that slang only because i lived in CH speaking german as a lower level, and unwittingly picked up all that accent. at the moment I work with many of your countrymen from Schwaben, as you can imagine, my accent is now a horrible cocktail.

response is kinda slow, might be a while before i gather enough headcount, but i'll be sure to post when we're ready. stay tuned...

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Post by ChrisCH » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:43 pm

Well, I lived in Zurich for a couple of years myself before coming here (hence the CH in the nickname...). Even I picked up some funny Swiss words. The first time I said by mistake "Gruezi" in a shop when visiting home got me stares as if I was from another planet...

danielczh
Regular
Regular

Post by danielczh » Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:18 am

I'm interested in this! Would be good to pick up German as i'm working for a German company. :D

kikeo

Post by kikeo » Fri, 14 Sep 2012 6:16 pm

Haha LMAO, I lived in Zurich before coming here, my gf is schwäbisch, first time I visited her parents in Stuttgart I said "grüezi". Awkward........

Anyway I know little of German, I'm also A2, it's been a while since I had my lessons (2 years), and I want to surprise the aforementioned girlfriend with improving my level. I really like the idea of your group.

Only problem (quite major)... I'm not local, I'm.... french ;)

hitmebabyonemoretime

Post by hitmebabyonemoretime » Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:57 am

kikeo wrote: Only problem (quite major)... I'm not local, I'm.... french ;)
Hallo together! the nationality is not a problem, everyone is welcome :)

J_alba

Singapore German Corner

Post by J_alba » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 2:25 pm

Hallo! I am interested in the language exchange. I am at A2 level but haven't practiced for long time. I plan to catch up my German and continue studying. I speak Chinese (native language), English, and a little French. I have been teaching Chinese for few years. If anyone needs help, I would like to give a hand.

Please update me at jalba.wx@gmail.com once you decide time and place to meet up.

Cheers,

ninijo123

Complete Beginers too?

Post by ninijo123 » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:55 pm

Apart from a few simple phrase, I have no background. I would say French would help me a little in terms of shared vocabulary. So does this exchange welcom complete beginners in Gerrman

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Thu, 25 Oct 2012 9:13 am

So...any gathering anytime soon? Since the last time I got your e-mail, I didn't get anything else...

hitmebabyonemoretime

Post by hitmebabyonemoretime » Thu, 25 Oct 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Ninijo, you're welcome to join us when we have any events, just so you know, the group is still very small at the moment :)

Hi Akimbo, i'll be in touch again once we have another event!

Spaniel

Post by Spaniel » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 4:58 pm

Hi!

Have chanced upon this thread and I think the idea of having a language exchange group is good.

For me, I am Singaporean and have just returned to Singapore from Italy a month ago, on a language scholarship program. So, I can speak some Italian and of course English & Mandarin.
Have been thinking of picking up German next but all I currently know is just a few greetings in German...

Nevertheless, it would be great to start somewhere and to meet some new faces.

Will PM you my email and keep me informed.

Cheers.