Singapore Expats

How to move a pet out of Singapore

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

How to move a pet out of Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 1:42 am

Discussed this briefly on another thread, but wanted to create a separate post for more visibility.

This is for those who are planning to move internationally (particularly to the US), and taking an animal with them.

To leave the country with a pet, you have three options. The first is to engage a pet relocation company. This is incredibly expensive ($6-10K), but the best option if you want to wash your hands off paperwork. The second is to fly your pet as cargo, this option is a fraction of the price, but requires you to drop your pet off at a designated cargo facility. The last is to check your pet as baggage, this is the cheapest option, but rarer as not all airlines offer this. SIA is one that does.

To book a flight out of Singapore, you'll book with SIA and then email them about adding a pet to your reservation. 28 days before your flight, you'll have to follow up with all of the necessary export documentation, including vaccination records and health certificate. Then, you can just drop your pet off before departure.

Once you get to the US, you'll collect your pet with the rest of your checked baggage. Then, for travel within the 48 contiguous states, you'll book a flight with a domestic airline and add on an in-cabin pet for anywhere from $50-$200.

The caveat to this is that your pet and its carrier will need to conform to strict size limitations, meet a weight limit (usually 20lbs), and be able to fit under the seat in front of you. If your pet is too large, the best option is to fly private. For the final leg of our journey, we're having the dog fly JSX airlines. He can ride in cabin for no added charge, though the tickets are about eight times what they would cost otherwise.

gummybigbear

Re: How to move a pet out of Singapore

Post by gummybigbear » Sat, 25 Feb 2023 12:10 am

Moving a pet out of Singapore requires careful planning and preparation to ensure that your furry friend is safe and comfortable during the journey. Here are the general steps you can take:

Check the destination country's import requirements: Different countries have different rules and regulations regarding the import of pets. Check the country's embassy or consulate website or contact their agriculture department to find out the necessary paperwork, vaccinations, and quarantine requirements.

Choose a reputable pet transportation company: Look for a company that specializes in pet transportation and has experience in handling international travel. They will provide you with guidance and assistance on the necessary documentation, flights, and other requirements.

Visit a veterinarian: A veterinarian will ensure that your pet is healthy and up-to-date with all the necessary vaccinations and medical requirements for travel. They may also provide you with additional health certificates and documentation that is required by the destination country.

Arrange for a pet crate: The pet crate should be large enough for your pet to stand up, turn around, and lie down comfortably. It should also be well-ventilated and secure. The transportation company can help you choose the appropriate size and type of crate.

Book a flight: Once you have all the necessary paperwork and arrangements in place, book a flight for your pet. Choose a direct flight if possible and avoid layovers, which can be stressful for your pet.

Prepare your pet for travel: Get your pet accustomed to the crate by gradually introducing them to it in the weeks leading up to the trip. Provide your pet with familiar bedding and toys for comfort during the journey. Also, avoid feeding your pet a big meal right before the flight.

By following these steps and planning ahead, you can ensure a smooth and stress-free journey for your pet out of Singapore.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 1:47 am

Are you speaking from experience, or as a bot?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 1:52 am

I left it because it is being posted from a Sg ISP (SingNet). It was my initial reaction as well but the poster wants his/her 60 sec of fame I suppose.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 8:40 am

ChatGPT?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 3:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 26 Feb 2023 1:52 am
I left it because it is being posted from a Sg ISP (SingNet). It was my initial reaction as well but the poster wants his/her 60 sec of fame I suppose.
Lol, at least the post is somewhat informative.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 3:13 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sun, 26 Feb 2023 8:40 am
ChatGPT?
I've seen it all over the news recently, but haven't gotten around to trying it. Have you?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 5:15 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Feb 2023 3:13 pm
x9200 wrote:
ChatGPT?
I've seen it all over the news recently, but haven't gotten around to trying it. Have you?
Nope. Never bothered to register an account what seems to be needed. But the style is similar to some samples I've seen and the text seems original - I took some phrases and fed them to google. Nothing came up. This sort of posts are common but they are never original in that sense you could easily find copies in places like other boards. It still takes effort to write it so why somebody (a newbie) should do this just to post it here? Unless you ask the chat bot this very question: How to move a pet out of Singapore? And get an answer within few seconds.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 5:31 pm

The reason it is done is a long term plan. Once a spammer gets a post into a system thread and then possibly a couple others. They eventually get buried in the threads and the poster comes back and edits said post to include hyperlinks within the text or in their signature block or posts in at the bottom of the message in 1 or 2 pt type (looks virtually invisible to the naked eye especially if done in a grey font.) Most of these types are paid by the link/life as they can come back and edit the links to change them at any time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 5:38 pm

Generally an edited post only has a line of at the bottom of the post indicating it's been edited and when. but there is no current notification flag like what moderators get with most new posts. So, unless you happen to read a random thread and see any edited posts (by the message at the bottom of the message box) nobody would know it's been edited except unawares readers or the occasional Moderator.

Also, if there are badboys out there they could put noxious links landing you in hot water if you click on one of them.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:04 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sun, 26 Feb 2023 5:15 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Feb 2023 3:13 pm
x9200 wrote:
ChatGPT?
Nope. Never bothered to register an account what seems to be needed. But the style is similar to some samples I've seen and the text seems original - I took some phrases and fed them to google. Nothing came up. This sort of posts are common but they are never original in that sense you could easily find copies in places like other boards. It still takes effort to write it so why somebody (a newbie) should do this just to post it here? Unless you ask the chat bot this very question: How to move a pet out of Singapore? And get an answer within few seconds.
Apparently, a kid at Princeton invented a software that allows users to check if something has been written through chat GPT. Must be very popular with his classmates.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:07 pm

Sun, 26 Feb 2023 5:31 pm
The reason it is done is a long term plan. Once a spammer gets a post into a system thread and then possibly a couple others. They eventually get buried in the threads and the poster comes back and edits said post to include hyperlinks within the text or in their signature block or posts in at the bottom of the message in 1 or 2 pt type (looks virtually invisible to the naked eye especially if done in a grey font.) Most of these types are paid by the link/life as they can come back and edit the links to change them at any time.
Just a thought... how would they trace all their posts? At some point they're bound to lose track as threads get buried over time.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:09 pm

Sun, 26 Feb 2023 5:38 pm
Generally an edited post only has a line of at the bottom of the post indicating it's been edited and when. but there is no current notification flag like what moderators get with most new posts. So, unless you happen to read a random thread and see any edited posts (by the message at the bottom of the message box) nobody would know it's been edited except unawares readers or the occasional Moderator.

Also, if there are badboys out there they could put noxious links landing you in hot water if you click on one of them.
Doubt they'd prey on an expat forum... or at least I hope not

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:16 pm

Looking at the posts they make, it's pretty obvious to me that most are functionally idiots and like most scammers in 3rd world countries, they are like slave labourers (like those in Laos, Cambodia doing the phone scamming but are actually locked up and treated like slaves). Even the links they often use are small companies in other countries that don't even match up to the board they are posting on. And ask any of our moderators on here how many hours a day they spend sweeping out the garbage on this board. You already know the amount of time I spend on here as you are also a night owl like I am (and being retired, I can't seem to break the cycle either!!!!)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 8:42 pm

I have some years to go before retirement, but I'm lucky to have great control over my hours.