Singapore Expats

Comestic and Plastic surgery in Taiwan

Everything about beauty enhancement discussion.
neuromanticx

Dr Kao & rhino

Post by neuromanticx » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 6:05 am

Hi Treehugger :)

Your writeup is really helpful and useful. I'm going to meet him next week. Did you do just the tip or both bridge+tip ? For me I am going to just do the tip mostly but undecided about goretex.

Some questions I hope you can advice me:

1. Why was the op in Tri-service instead of KN hospital where you met him for consultation? Is it better?

2. How is operating room environment in Tri-service? Modern, clean, safe, well-lighted or very dim?, etc, etc?

3. How does your goretex and ear cartilage feel now? Any lingering sensation like as if there is some foreign object stuck in the nose feeling?

4. You mentioned you were awake while being operated. Did you not get any IV sedation through your veins? Or he gave only LA?

5. Who administered the LA? Dr Kao? The nurse?

6. What kind of anti-swelling medicine did you get. Was any ice-pack given by Dr Kao?

7. How much swelling was there at the tip?

8. How would you rate your overall experience with Dr Kao and the results of the op out of 5 stars?

Pardon my ignorance for asking as its going to be my first time doing this. Getting goose bumps already.

Hear from you soon. Cheers, M :)

TreeHugger wrote:Since I have time, i'll write up about what happened since this forum has been so much help to me.

I arrived on the morning of the 22nd and had my consultation that afternoon. Took the MRT to Kangning, was pretty convenient, kind of got lost but it wasn't too bad. You then had to register for your consultation downstairs and wait on the 2nd floor to see Dr. Kao.

I was about the 2nd last person to have a consultation with him, and it was nearing the end of his consultation time. He was still very patient with me though. Showed me past surgeries, took my picture, did a virtual transformation, etc.

I didn't bring any pictures with me, but we seemed to be on the same page about what nose would suit my face. I trust his aesthetic opinion. I used goretex and ear cartilage. The consultation took about 20 minutes. I didn't really ask any questions. We scheduled the surgery date for the 23rd morning at Tri-Service. He wrote down the directions for me and gave me a number to call if I got lost. He also arranged for me to meet with an english speaking nurse, Cherry.

So, I took the MRT to Kunyang MRT station then took the free shuttle bus to Tri-Service (takes about 20 minutes), but the bus only comes once every 30 minutes. The hospital is pretty big, so it's quite easy to get lost. I met with Cherry, and then waited for Dr.Kao. The cosmetic place is very nicely decorated, with a T.V, magazines, etc. He had his apprentice?.. or student? with him. He showed me the goretex that he uses (showing that it's sterile and stuff) and we went over my pictures and about the nose I wanted by looking through a magazine. I also got some pills to take before the surgery for the pain.

Dr.Kao went to go get changed and I went with Cherry to get my EKG. They said I didn't need a blood test since I was healthy and everything. I then put on the gown, slippers and hair net thing then proceeded into the operating room.

It was pretty freaky, tbh. I felt like I was getting butchered, they had my pictures taped on the cabinet and he also had the magazine picture for reference. If any of you watch Dexter, I felt like I was about to get murdered with the pictures on the side and stuff. I definitely do not want to go through another surgery.

So, I laid down and had local injected in my nose (through my gums) and my ears. Which is kind of uncomfortable. I sometimes felt the liquid go down my throat (or was that blood?) Dr.Kao will ask if it hurts if he senses that you are uncomfortable. I had to tell him it hurts many times throughout the surgery and got more local injected. They had to keep getting more vials.. maybe i'm really sensitive? The most painful part was when he was working with the septal cartilage. It was like an 8/10 on the pain scale. Kind of like getting your wisdom tooth pulled out.

I have no idea how long the surgery took, maybe 2.5-3 hours. I was awake the whole time, couldn't sleep. I was just checking out the blackheads on my nose while they were operating T_T

After the surgery, the nurses let me stay in the lobby with an ice pack and gauze for the bleeding. We scheduled the follow up meeting and went over the directions for the medication. Cherry also gave me her personal cellphone number if there was an emergency. I rested there for an hour and took the bus and MRT back to my apartment place. I was very tired and ended up sleeping for 12 hours once I got back.

Today I feel fine, nose is a bit runny. No bruises, just some swelling around the bridge. My eyes are a lot more pulled in now due to the surgery and the swelling, I kind of like it. I went out sightseeing today, no big deal.

Long post, but I hope it helps.

TreeHugger
Regular
Regular

Re: Dr Kao & rhino

Post by TreeHugger » Sat, 12 Mar 2011 8:10 am

I did both the tip and the bridge with goretex, septal and ear cartilage. They are both pretty nice hospitals, both clean, didn't creep me out. He just works at both, so it depends. It says on his website if you check it out.
I honestly forget that I have an implant. I banged it the other day, and it took me a while to think 'oh shit, it's not real, better check to make sure its okay'. I'm not sure if it 'feels' real, because I never had a real bridge to begin with. It's hard, but not.. rock hard? I only got LA, not IV sedation. The LA was administered by Dr. Kao. I got a whole bunch of pills. I really had no idea what I was taking. Cherry, the nurse, was very kind in describing them all, but tbh, I wasn't listening. It was like 7 packs of medicine, 5 of which are pill sthat you HAVE to take, 1 is not really recommended unless you're woozy, and 1 is the cream. If you look at my pics that I posted, the tip is really swollen, it's a lot better now. It's nice and pointy! I would honestly rate everything 5/5.

Nurses were kind. Dr was professional. Place was clean. Price was good. Nose came out great. Only issue I had was communication getting around and stuff. But whatever, that's what I get for not paying attention in mandarin class. Hope it helps!
neuromanticx wrote:Hi Treehugger :)

Your writeup is really helpful and useful. I'm going to meet him next week. Did you do just the tip or both bridge+tip ? For me I am going to just do the tip mostly but undecided about goretex.

Some questions I hope you can advice me:

1. Why was the op in Tri-service instead of KN hospital where you met him for consultation? Is it better?

2. How is operating room environment in Tri-service? Modern, clean, safe, well-lighted or very dim?, etc, etc?

3. How does your goretex and ear cartilage feel now? Any lingering sensation like as if there is some foreign object stuck in the nose feeling?

4. You mentioned you were awake while being operated. Did you not get any IV sedation through your veins? Or he gave only LA?

5. Who administered the LA? Dr Kao? The nurse?

6. What kind of anti-swelling medicine did you get. Was any ice-pack given by Dr Kao?

7. How much swelling was there at the tip?

8. How would you rate your overall experience with Dr Kao and the results of the op out of 5 stars?

Pardon my ignorance for asking as its going to be my first time doing this. Getting goose bumps already.

Hear from you soon. Cheers, M :)

TreeHugger wrote:Since I have time, i'll write up about what happened since this forum has been so much help to me.

I arrived on the morning of the 22nd and had my consultation that afternoon. Took the MRT to Kangning, was pretty convenient, kind of got lost but it wasn't too bad. You then had to register for your consultation downstairs and wait on the 2nd floor to see Dr. Kao.

I was about the 2nd last person to have a consultation with him, and it was nearing the end of his consultation time. He was still very patient with me though. Showed me past surgeries, took my picture, did a virtual transformation, etc.

I didn't bring any pictures with me, but we seemed to be on the same page about what nose would suit my face. I trust his aesthetic opinion. I used goretex and ear cartilage. The consultation took about 20 minutes. I didn't really ask any questions. We scheduled the surgery date for the 23rd morning at Tri-Service. He wrote down the directions for me and gave me a number to call if I got lost. He also arranged for me to meet with an english speaking nurse, Cherry.

So, I took the MRT to Kunyang MRT station then took the free shuttle bus to Tri-Service (takes about 20 minutes), but the bus only comes once every 30 minutes. The hospital is pretty big, so it's quite easy to get lost. I met with Cherry, and then waited for Dr.Kao. The cosmetic place is very nicely decorated, with a T.V, magazines, etc. He had his apprentice?.. or student? with him. He showed me the goretex that he uses (showing that it's sterile and stuff) and we went over my pictures and about the nose I wanted by looking through a magazine. I also got some pills to take before the surgery for the pain.

Dr.Kao went to go get changed and I went with Cherry to get my EKG. They said I didn't need a blood test since I was healthy and everything. I then put on the gown, slippers and hair net thing then proceeded into the operating room.

It was pretty freaky, tbh. I felt like I was getting butchered, they had my pictures taped on the cabinet and he also had the magazine picture for reference. If any of you watch Dexter, I felt like I was about to get murdered with the pictures on the side and stuff. I definitely do not want to go through another surgery.

So, I laid down and had local injected in my nose (through my gums) and my ears. Which is kind of uncomfortable. I sometimes felt the liquid go down my throat (or was that blood?) Dr.Kao will ask if it hurts if he senses that you are uncomfortable. I had to tell him it hurts many times throughout the surgery and got more local injected. They had to keep getting more vials.. maybe i'm really sensitive? The most painful part was when he was working with the septal cartilage. It was like an 8/10 on the pain scale. Kind of like getting your wisdom tooth pulled out.

I have no idea how long the surgery took, maybe 2.5-3 hours. I was awake the whole time, couldn't sleep. I was just checking out the blackheads on my nose while they were operating T_T

After the surgery, the nurses let me stay in the lobby with an ice pack and gauze for the bleeding. We scheduled the follow up meeting and went over the directions for the medication. Cherry also gave me her personal cellphone number if there was an emergency. I rested there for an hour and took the bus and MRT back to my apartment place. I was very tired and ended up sleeping for 12 hours once I got back.

Today I feel fine, nose is a bit runny. No bruises, just some swelling around the bridge. My eyes are a lot more pulled in now due to the surgery and the swelling, I kind of like it. I went out sightseeing today, no big deal.

Long post, but I hope it helps.

johanxxxx

Post by johanxxxx » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 1:32 am

hi all,

i am planning to get my nose done. ( saving money for it now )

can any1 help me on.....i wanna know the cost of rhinoplasty by Dr Kao and Hsu from Taiwan.

Pls do pm me.....THANKS

babyangel11
Regular
Regular

Post by babyangel11 » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 3:15 am

johanxxxx wrote:hi all,

i am planning to get my nose done. ( saving money for it now )

can any1 help me on.....i wanna know the cost of rhinoplasty by Dr Kao and Hsu from Taiwan.

Pls do pm me.....THANKS

Hi Johan,

I think it may be best that you email both Dr Kao n Dr Hsu in order to get the correct rates. Cos it depends alot on what material you use and is it a primary or revision rhinoplasty, etc. Rib Cartilage should generally cost more than goretex, etc. Best is you email them the pics of your nose now so that they have a better idea.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

johanxxxx

Post by johanxxxx » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 4:44 am

hi babyangel

i have emailed them, but have yet to get their reply.

just hoping some1 know the costs ( estimate cost will do too ).

btw, any1 has done his/her nose by these 2 plastic surgeons? satisfied or...?

rhinose
Regular
Regular

Post by rhinose » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 3:09 pm

johanxxxx wrote:hi babyangel

Dr hsu only use ribs so will list only RIBS cost.

Prices include almost everything including a Night stay at a hospital which includes care by nurse.

Expect about 120,000 NTD for 1st Surgery using ribs.( Donated or self)

Only By Dr Kao,
Goretex or silicon about 80,000 NTD

Any Revision is about 20,000NTD extra.

Hope this helps.

reiyuna

Re: rhinoplasty revision with dr. kao

Post by reiyuna » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 4:08 pm

absolutnose wrote: yes, i also notice that he didn't stitch up the rib wound. there was only tape on it.
Hey everyone, my first post here seeing as it took me forever to catch up on the last 90 pages! @_@

Anyway, the thing that all Dr. Kao's patients have been noticing is the lack of stitching on their wounds. I have emailed him regarding this:

"some people in forums are saying you do not stitch your rib wounds, may I ask what your reason for that is? Some of your patients are saying that it caused them to heal badly."

His reply was:
"Another question is not true, I sutured the rib wound subcutaneously and don't need to take out the stitches."

Not exactly sure what that means..? I will be asking him if he means it will dissolve.. or if he somehow stitched it internally so his patients can't see.. or, maybe he just missed a spot, i'm not sure!

johanxxxx

Post by johanxxxx » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:19 pm

rhinose wrote:

Prices include almost everything including a Night stay at a hospital which includes care by nurse.

Only By Dr Kao,

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot........wow, they both are not cheap at all, almost comparable with Dr Jung or Dr Kim ( BK Clinic )

Btw, did you do ur nose by one of them?

I do plan to do epi also, do they perform epi surgery? or they can recommend me some PS for it?

Thanks again

omega

Post by omega » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:22 am

reiyuna wrote:
absolutnose wrote: yes, i also notice that he didn't stitch up the rib wound. there was only tape on it.
Hey everyone, my first post here seeing as it took me forever to catch up on the last 90 pages! @_@

Anyway, the thing that all Dr. Kao's patients have been noticing is the lack of stitching on their wounds. I have emailed him regarding this:

"some people in forums are saying you do not stitch your rib wounds, may I ask what your reason for that is? Some of your patients are saying that it caused them to heal badly."

His reply was:
"Another question is not true, I sutured the rib wound subcutaneously and don't need to take out the stitches."

Not exactly sure what that means..? I will be asking him if he means it will dissolve.. or if he somehow stitched it internally so his patients can't see.. or, maybe he just missed a spot, i'm not sure!

Subcutaneous means he brought the wound edges together beneath the skin layer with dissolvable sutures.
I had that done with just steristrip covering the skin, the scar was quite prominent. I was thinking adding skin closure would have given better cosmetic result. Practical experiment: My original scar was revised and of course skin closure with stitches, scar is now less prominent.

rhinose
Regular
Regular

Post by rhinose » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 1:03 am

johanxxxx wrote:
rhinose wrote:

Only By Dr Kao,

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot........wow, they both are not cheap at all, almost comparable with Dr Jung or Dr Kim ( BK Clinic )

Btw, did you do ur nose by one of them?

I do plan to do epi also, do they perform epi surgery? or they can recommend me some PS for it?

Thanks again
I would think korea is more expensive overall.

but anyway Dr hsu is slightly cheaper.

For eyes I only know Dr Su. Shes quite popular and very nice.

You can try her.

rhinose
Regular
Regular

CHINA RHINOPLASTY

Post by rhinose » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 1:24 am

not sure if appropriate or not but I came across this doc and his b4 and after pic is one of the nicest or well towards my taste.

Those high and sharp refine noses.

http://www.wangmd.cn/

http://www.wangmd.cn/longbi-xiufu/2010-1871.html

The changes are quite dramatic

If you guys got info of him can share.

babyangel11
Regular
Regular

Re: CHINA RHINOPLASTY

Post by babyangel11 » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 4:20 am

rhinose wrote:not sure if appropriate or not but I came across this doc and his b4 and after pic is one of the nicest or well towards my taste.

Those high and sharp refine noses.

http://www.wangmd.cn/

http://www.wangmd.cn/longbi-xiufu/2010-1871.html

The changes are quite dramatic

If you guys got info of him can share.

Hi rhinrose,

How did you manage to find this doctor's website? Thru your friend's recommendation or ?

I briefly went thru the site n i must say some of the nose jobs are pretty nice! Although on the home page, the 1st photo of the guy - i think the nose is too sharp but i think maybe it cud be due to the angle of the picture being taken.

I saw the other pics which he did for other patients n i especially like the tipwork. Plus you are right, i think the before n after pictures are pretty dramatic! One could tell the difference easily. I have never really heard of a China surgeon who is good in rhinoplasty and what's more he's using rib cartilage too. Not bad! :D

Did you mention in one of your posts that you have gone for your rhinoplasty in taiwan already? if so, did you have it done by Dr Hsu or Dr Kao? Do you like it? :)

Cheers.

rhinose
Regular
Regular

Post by rhinose » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 5:11 pm

pmed you already.

:)

reiyuna

Post by reiyuna » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:01 pm

omega wrote: Subcutaneous means he brought the wound edges together beneath the skin layer with dissolvable sutures.
I had that done with just steristrip covering the skin, the scar was quite prominent. I was thinking adding skin closure would have given better cosmetic result. Practical experiment: My original scar was revised and of course skin closure with stitches, scar is now less prominent.
Thanks for the info! I have just emailed him and asked if it were possible to get it stitched up completely lol he may be offended but it is my body so..

reiyuna

Dr. Su laggy reply

Post by reiyuna » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:12 pm

Oh maaan, I'm so annoyed at clinics who take their sweet time to reply.. I know they're busy but keeping a client waiting for weeks is not a good impression..

All I asked was what procedures to recommend for my eyes and I got this reply:

We suggest that Dr. SU should have consultation for you personally for detail examination of your eyelid condition first, because not every person is suitable for the percedure.

I asked them again and haven't got a reply for ages so just sent another email:

Is it possible to please get back to me as soon as you can as I do need to decide on which doctor to go with as soon as I can in order to organise my life around it. I cannot just hop on a plane to Taiwan just for a consultation as you can understand. I need to get as much information as I can from your clinic before I decide on a doctor and therefore decide on a country to go to. I understand if you cannot guarantee a procedure for me over email, but some advice would still be appreciated. I hope you appreciate my concern.

I think a lot of us can empathise as we're from all over the globe ) Definitely not an easy thing for us to hike over there just to see if we're "eligible clients" that's for sure!