Singapore Expats Forum

Antenatal ( prenatal classes in Singapore )

Discuss the various Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist options here.
Serendipitysays

Antenatal ( prenatal classes in Singapore )

Post by Serendipitysays » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:11 am

Hello all,
I am in the 6 th month of pregnancy and was hoping to find information about antenatal classes that cover labour, birth , breathing techniques etc prior to having a baby ....

During what stage in my pregnancy should I be signing up for classes ?

I live at east coast - are there any recommended lamaze classes that I can sign up for ?

Thanks as always for any information on this !

stueyhall

Post by stueyhall » Tue, 27 Dec 2011 5:02 pm

My wife and I have researched antenatal classes and basically all the hospitals have them here in Singapore.

We havent registered yet, as we only just ticked over 20 weeks. The advice we got was to book at about the halfway mark but probably in 3rd trimester when you know more about the delivery method.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:11 pm

I used Babybliss.sg for antenatal classes as well as Hypnobirthing (preparing for a drug-free birth) and doula service. I enthusiastically recommend them, they helped me to have a very enjoyable birthing experience.

zonemelt

Post by zonemelt » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:59 am

We used these guys http://www.motherandchild.com.sg/ who are based in Tanglin mall. They have an east coast base as well, where they conduct some activities

We went friends who are also pregnant, found them very informative and good at comparing how everything works here to how it works in europe/US and my wife partook in their antenatal yoga classes twice weekly, and also has availed of their lactation consultants.

Cath C
Regular
Regular

Post by Cath C » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 3:51 pm

We did the classes with the hospital, but I found them quite outdated. My ob/gyn recommended the motherandchild classes at Tanglin.

To be honest, I'm not sure the classes are really necessary. The midwives at the hospital can help you with everything you need to know. BUt if you do want to go ahead, I'd suggest doing them as close to your delivery date as you can so that you still remember everything when the baby is born.

If you're planning on breastfeeding, I'd also suggest having a lactation consultant ready to go just in case you need some help. It's trickier than it looks and it isn't common practice in Singapore for the midwife to visit you at home after you have the baby.