Singapore Expats

Explicit books in international school libraries

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
jenny.stephenson

Explicit books in international school libraries

Post by jenny.stephenson » Sun, 22 Jan 2023 11:40 am

Recently my friend shared with me that parents were informed that these 2 books were available in UWCSEA library.

1. Gender Queer (most banned book in US)
2. Let's talk about it

According to the Head of UWCSEA, it contains some explicit drawing.

Are these books available in other International School libraries?

Should it be available to children as young as 11 years old?

What are your views about such books?

Would you put similar books of heterosexual content in a school library?

My friend is in depression now as likely this is just the tip of an iceberg.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Explicit books in international school libraries

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Jan 2023 4:43 pm

I'm of mixed feelings. I actually feel it's okay. The more knowledge that they can obtain (about anything) the better choices they can make. I'd rather see my children read published books than watching some of the content freely available on the internet that they have access to just about 24/7 without supervision. Yeah, I know, you monitor your kids internet access.. But only when you can see them.

I'm actually more curious why you are posting from a Spanish ISP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jenny.stephenson

Post by jenny.stephenson » Sun, 22 Jan 2023 6:29 pm

I just settled down in Singapore. Looking for International Schools for my kids. Talking to friends and chance upon this.

I guess Singapore is more open than the impression I have before getting here.

Guess it's still showing Spain as I am still on roaming.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jan 2023 1:51 am

Welcome to Singapore. If the books are in the libraries of International Schools, then they are not governed by the Singapore Ministry of Education. However, Singapore as a country is still rather over the top conservative to a fault. It won't take too long for you to see the dirt here even though they try their level best to hid it from the public eye (the international eye especially).

This board had a fair number of members who are very familiar with the Int'l schools and also the locals schools (in fact I'm sure of one suspect there are two local principals or former principals. One of our moderators has a wife who also teaches in an International School. So feel free to tap their expertise. That's why they are here, paying it forward, as it were.

My earlier comment about my own children, well the eldest now has two boys one in Local Sec 2 and the other in Kindergarten. My youngest has one girl but is only just past 2 and started playschool this year. (got another on the way as well). Both of mine were born here as you would probably call me a long-stayer (passed 40 years here last June).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Jan 2023 2:34 am

jenny.stephenson wrote:
Sun, 22 Jan 2023 11:40 am
Recently my friend shared with me that parents were informed that these 2 books were available in UWCSEA library.

1. Gender Queer (most banned book in US)
2. Let's talk about it

According to the Head of UWCSEA, it contains some explicit drawing.

Are these books available in other International School libraries?

Should it be available to children as young as 11 years old?

What are your views about such books?

Would you put similar books of heterosexual content in a school library?

My friend is in depression now as likely this is just the tip of an iceberg.
I honestly don't have much of a problem with that. I believe it's important to allow kids to be educated so that they can make decisions for themselves, depriving them of certain content will only make them want to access it more. We've all been kids before, we know how curious they can be.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Jan 2023 2:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 22 Jan 2023 4:43 pm
I'm of mixed feelings. I actually feel it's okay. The more knowledge that they can obtain (about anything) the better choices they can make. I'd rather see my children read published books than watching some of the content freely available on the internet that they have access to just about 24/7 without supervision. Yeah, I know, you monitor your kids internet access.. But only when you can see them.

I'm actually more curious why you are posting from a Spanish ISP.
Right, forbidden fruit is the most desirable. On a slightly different note, I remember when I heard my daughter swear for the first time. I was very taken aback as she was only 14. I tried not to have a strong reaction because I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable. When I asked her about it, she told me "let's be honest here, me and the kids in my school have been swearing since we were barely 10". Honestly, I couldn't say I was surprised. Kids are going to grow up, and there's nothing we can do to stop it. It's better to let them be themselves and let them know that we are there if they need us than to try to control and restrict them as that will only make them resent us and push back.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 Jan 2023 2:38 am

jenny.stephenson wrote:
Sun, 22 Jan 2023 6:29 pm
I just settled down in Singapore. Looking for International Schools for my kids. Talking to friends and chance upon this.

I guess Singapore is more open than the impression I have before getting here.

Guess it's still showing Spain as I am still on roaming.
How long are you planning to be here? Any specific curriculum in mind? How old are your kids?

jenny.stephenson

Post by jenny.stephenson » Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:48 am

Thank you all for giving your feedback.

I have a daughter in Grade 2. No specific curriculum in mind, eventually I think IB then college.

I will be in Singapore for 3 years max. Don't think local school will be an option for me.

UWC was one of my options. I was surprised by the Head of school sending a message to all parents regarding this. Is it a norm for a school here? This gave me a concern, I don't want to end up like my friend.

Any recommendation from short term parents on schools?

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 23 Jan 2023 6:00 pm

I don't think such books should be available to 11 year olds. ..they should be available only after a more mature age ie: 18 years and older. I feel it's unnecessary to put such curiosity to them at such a young age..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:04 pm

I've met a lot of 22 year old fresh graduates who shouldn't be allowed to read them. I've also read about 14 year old's graduating from University. One size fits all? Therein lies the problem.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:14 pm

One of my nephews (age 9) who visited us during CNY was slapping other kids on their buttocks and making sexual innuendos. My son (age 14) told him gently to stop and that it was inappropriate. Proud of my son for that, but I also think it illustrates what matters is the guidance — exposure is inevitable and sometimes unavoidable. If you raise your kids right, they will know right from wrong… and hopefully choose what is right.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:52 am

jenny.stephenson wrote:
Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:48 am
Thank you all for giving your feedback.

I have a daughter in Grade 2. No specific curriculum in mind, eventually I think IB then college.

I will be in Singapore for 3 years max. Don't think local school will be an option for me.

UWC was one of my options. I was surprised by the Head of school sending a message to all parents regarding this. Is it a norm for a school here? This gave me a concern, I don't want to end up like my friend.

Any recommendation from short term parents on schools?
Even if local schools are an option, it would not be the wise choice. UWC is actually a pretty good option, it's one of the more reputable schools that offers IB, and uniquely it has campuses all over the world which is great if you move around a lot as there is a sense of continuity that cannot be found with most of the other International Schools here.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:54 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 23 Jan 2023 6:00 pm
I don't think such books should be available to 11 year olds. ..they should be available only after a more mature age ie: 18 years and older. I feel it's unnecessary to put such curiosity to them at such a young age..
But don't you think it's better to offer children the opportunity to be exposed to such content in a more controlled and regulated environment (school), through proper, well-researched books instead of letting them read some misleading and inappropriate crap off the Internet? And honestly, don't you think 18 is a little late?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:04 pm
I've met a lot of 22 year old fresh graduates who shouldn't be allowed to read them. I've also read about 14 year old's graduating from University. One size fits all? Therein lies the problem.
Great point, that being said, the books are not being forced on any students. They simply exist as a resource for those who are curious to tap on, which I think is not problematic in itself.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:56 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:14 pm
One of my nephews (age 9) who visited us during CNY was slapping other kids on their buttocks and making sexual innuendos. My son (age 14) told him gently to stop and that it was inappropriate. Proud of my son for that, but I also think it illustrates what matters is the guidance — exposure is inevitable and sometimes unavoidable. If you raise your kids right, they will know right from wrong… and hopefully choose what is right.
Eek, good on your son. I believe this illustrates exactly what I was saying, which you seem to agree with, that exposure is inevitable. Arguably, then, controlled exposure is the lesser of two evils.