Singapore Expats

Limits on helper solo overseas travel?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
TheRitz

Limits on helper solo overseas travel?

Post by TheRitz » Sat, 03 Jun 2023 7:12 pm

Is there some limit on where helpers can travel overseas? I know solo travel (not with their employer) to their home country and Johor is okay.

But is there a MOM-related reason that would prevent them from traveling elsewhere?

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Limits on helper solo overseas travel?

Post by abbby » Sun, 04 Jun 2023 11:37 am

Mine has travelled with me overseas for holidays.

But if you are referring to them travelling alone, then have to be cautious because the insurance is covered by you could have its limitations (ie: health, accidental etc) so you need to know if it covers them not being in Singapore during her term with you.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

naresh.negi.kr

Post by naresh.negi.kr » Sun, 21 Jan 2024 2:30 pm

ICA doesn't differentiate between solo and group overseas travel unless it is a minor (younger than 18 years old). MoM is concerned only about abuse of work passes, and traveling overseas frequently is unlikely to fall under that criterion.

There aren't any limits to the amount of overseas travel that you or your employees can do in and out of Singapore. Although I have heard that if you enter Malaysia more than once on the same day, their immigration system might flash an alert

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Jan 2024 2:58 pm

TheRitz wrote:
Sat, 03 Jun 2023 7:12 pm
Is there some limit on where helpers can travel overseas? I know solo travel (not with their employer) to their home country and Johor is okay.

But is there a MOM-related reason that would prevent them from traveling elsewhere?
Doubt there's any such limitation. Only limit would be that which you as the employer sets.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Jan 2024 2:58 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 04 Jun 2023 11:37 am
Mine has travelled with me overseas for holidays.

But if you are referring to them travelling alone, then have to be cautious because the insurance is covered by you could have its limitations (ie: health, accidental etc) so you need to know if it covers them not being in Singapore during her term with you.
Alternatively you can just make sure she purchases her own travel insurance which is typically fairly inexpensive.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Jan 2024 2:59 pm

naresh.negi.kr wrote:
Sun, 21 Jan 2024 2:30 pm
ICA doesn't differentiate between solo and group overseas travel unless it is a minor (younger than 18 years old). MoM is concerned only about abuse of work passes, and traveling overseas frequently is unlikely to fall under that criterion.

There aren't any limits to the amount of overseas travel that you or your employees can do in and out of Singapore. Although I have heard that if you enter Malaysia more than once on the same day, their immigration system might flash an alert
Right but that would apply to everyone, not just helpers.

naresh.negi.kr

Post by naresh.negi.kr » Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:57 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 21 Jan 2024 2:59 pm
Right but that would apply to everyone, not just helpers.
Yes, that is right.