Experiences with 2 maids - best practices

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
American
Regular
Regular

Experiences with 2 maids - best practices

Post by American » Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:42 pm

Hi All

Wanted to hear anyone’s experiences with employing 2 live in maids. We would qualify for having 2 maids based on our work situation, living quarters and children. Seeking advice on the following:

- maids of the same race: heard this is bad for Filipinas (a tendency to quarrel. Though I am unsure if this makes a difference if we have 2 different races. Any thoughts?

- if possible choose - 2 “related” maids ie friends from back home, a younger maid and an older maid perhaps relatives? Would you agree ?

- setting a hierarchy - 1 maid with clear seniority over the other? Preferable I assume.

- sharing of rooms - would you advise? We have a proper guest room for them to share. Not sure if one would prefer the bomb shelter, and the more senior one the guest room.

So let me know if you’ve had any experience with 2 maids. Would love to hear your stories.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Experiences with 2 maids - best practices

Post by brian_singapore » Wed, 18 Apr 2018 12:09 pm

We have 2 Philipina maids, both worked together for another expat family who moved to the US and couldn't bring our maids with them. They share a bedroom and both have a very clear division of responsibilities (written) with no overlap.

They aren't related, the first one worked for the last family for 14 years and the second one for 6 years (the family had a special needs child that required constant care and needed a second). Both are in their mid-40s.

It's worked well for us. The division of responsibilities I think is key. It also helped that any living/working together issues were sorted out by the previous employer :)

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Wed, 18 Apr 2018 12:12 pm

I should add, there was one point of contention we didn't find out about until we moved to our second place. We got them a bunk bed but the room was fairly small. There was only room for one of them to sleep on the floor.

When we moved to our second place and their room was big enough for both, they told us how much happier they were both sleeping on the floor. Apparently they were taking turns up until then.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Thu, 19 Apr 2018 1:59 pm

Thanks for the tips. Won’t worry so much about having 2 filipinas nor age gaps but do need to work out the room logistics. Would expect some sort of storming period at the beginning.

brian_singapore wrote:I should add, there was one point of contention we didn't find out about until we moved to our second place. We got them a bunk bed but the room was fairly small. There was only room for one of them to sleep on the floor.

When we moved to our second place and their room was big enough for both, they told us how much happier they were both sleeping on the floor. Apparently they were taking turns up until then.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 20 Apr 2018 5:10 pm

I cant deal with people. There is no way I can hire a maid or a driver. It would be easier to have a robot.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Nov 2018 10:48 pm

Helpersmama wrote:Hello,

I am working on something to help manage and motivate helper to perform in their work.
Please drop me a PM if you are keen to find out more. Would love to have some beta users to test out the product. Thanks.
If you are working on something that you wish to share, then please post it in the forums for all to see.