Singapore Expats

Military jets doing bombing runs over town

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Military jets doing bombing runs over town

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 1:43 pm

JR8 wrote:
HOTXFIL wrote:
JR8 wrote:Is there a need for these jets to be doing ultra-low-level bombing runs over the city centre, every day, or is it just meant to instil fear in the citizens and residents?
What makes you think they're doing bombing runs?
What else are jets going over, and over, and again at 3000ft doing?

Dropping flowers on the people?
Most likely they're doing touch and go take off and landing practice. You just now live in the flight line Paya Lebar airbase I imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch-and-go_landing

Don't worry though, gahmen is selling it to developers and moving the airbase to Changi in a few years.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 2:32 pm

In a few years we will all have been kicked out, so little consolation there.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 3:23 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Most likely they're doing touch and go take off and landing practice. You just now live in the flight line Paya Lebar airbase I imagine.
Exactly. We live on a small island, these boys have to practise somewhere. I imagine it would be the same if you live near an active airforce base anywhere in the world.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 3:34 pm

JR8 wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote: Didn't you get them during the 20min runs this morning around 8am.....grr, over my house again. :cry:
Yeah, awful. I've never known it anywhere else. In fact, I don't recall it being like this the previous 2-3 times I'm lived here.

It's intimidating and nasty. And since every take-out carton, and warted durian, in this country is planned, and legislated for, I can only imagine these rather terrifying fly-overs .... every single day... ---- .... again and again .... are a part of a plan.

I got more when I left the office for lunch, and more again on the way back. Can start my own shop soon.

It's only been the last year or two that it's been this bad and even when I lived near the base in the West it only got 'hot' a few months before National Day, for obvious reasons.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 6:28 pm

bgd wrote: Exactly. We live on a small island, these boys have to practise somewhere. I imagine it would be the same if you live near an active airforce base anywhere in the world.
Disagree. I grew up in England, and we had US air-bases all over (Glos, Oxon, Norfolk, Suffolk... seemingly where ever we lived.)

In the summer we'd lie on the front lawn at school, and watch the A10s weaving over, and the Starfighters tear-arsing up and down.

But those were rural conditions, and never as low altitude as what is going on here.

p.s.. previous point re: training. They, the SAF, train in Arizona. This burning up the city-centre every day is something new.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 9:16 am

JR8 wrote:p.s.. previous point re: training. They, the SAF, train in Arizona. This burning up the city-centre every day is something new.
ps, if there was a war in this little dot, it will be fought over the city lights, not in Arizona I guess ;) ;)

I know, i know .. ;)

btw, they haven't done the Lim Chu Kang exercise of landing a few jets on the road for quite some time .. it was amazing to see the E2C F16s touch and go .. on normal road

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:09 am

ecureilx wrote: btw, they haven't done the Lim Chu Kang exercise of landing a few jets on the road for quite some time .. it was amazing to see the E2C F16s touch and go .. on normal road
ECP east of Bedok is also a military runway. You can tell, it is the part where the center divider is all potted plants (as opposed to trees) and removable.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:11 am

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: btw, they haven't done the Lim Chu Kang exercise of landing a few jets on the road for quite some time .. it was amazing to see the E2C F16s touch and go .. on normal road
ECP east of Bedok is also a military runway. You can tell, it is the part where the center divider is all potted plants (as opposed to trees) and removable.
but, they are yet to land a plane in that stretch .. though I doubt if the new G5s can still land on such roads ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:18 am

ecureilx wrote: ps, if there was a war in this little dot, it will be fought over the city lights, not in Arizona I guess ;) ;)
I know, i know .. ;)
btw, they haven't done the Lim Chu Kang exercise of landing a few jets on the road for quite some time .. it was amazing to see the E2C F16s touch and go .. on normal road
What next, the army practise 'urban combat techniques' out on the ground in the heartland HDB estates? Well, it is a parallel isn't it? :)

I'm still inclined, given all the talk of the 'Little Red Dot', and 'Small fish in a big sea' etc to believe it is propaganda. I hope they've practised dealing with say a total engine failure, as taking out a heartland 'block' won't win over many voters.

I wouldn't want to own any horses here...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:19 am

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
but, they are yet to land a plane in that stretch .. though I doubt if the new G5s can still land on such roads ..
Well it's a rather busy stretch. As long as it is maintained at spec with Lim Chu Kang, no need to close ECP for the same exercises.

Here is some stuff from Mindef including photos of the Lim Chu Kang exercise:
http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_a ... 02_nr.html

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_a ... hotos.html

Note that they specifically say they're practicing touch and go, which is what JR8 described hearing. So most likely it's the same thing, just at Paya Lebar.

Also, if you google a bit, you'll find some gossiping SAF guys talking about a third runway in the west that is Tuas Rd. They say it is underground.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:21 am

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: ps, if there was a war in this little dot, it will be fought over the city lights, not in Arizona I guess ;) ;)
I know, i know .. ;)
What next, the army practise 'urban combat techniques' out on the ground in the heartland HDB estates? Well, it is a parallel isn't it? :)

I'm still inclined, given all the talk of the 'Little Red Dot', and 'Small fish in a big sea' etc to believe it is propaganda. I hope they've practised dealing with say a total engine failure, as taking out a heartland 'block' won't win over many voters.

I wouldn't want to own any horses here...
PS: last month or so, there were two Civil Defence exercises: one for a simulated major ferry accident involving about 200 volunteers, with some thrown into the water .. and another involved a plane crash on a HDB block .. simulated fire / smoke / evacuation etc.

Whatever the end result, one positive outcome was, a lot of participants were very engaged .. especially the older folks ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:26 am

zzm9980 wrote:...
Also, if you google a bit, you'll find some gossiping SAF guys talking about a third runway in the west that is Tuas Rd. They say it is underground.
And I also heard of planes taking off on Conveyer belts.. yah right ..

BTW, Singapore is also in line for the F35 VTOLs, so maybe true ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:04 am

Urban training for military now has a dedicated area. They used to use older HDB blocks that were scheduled for demolition out in the Lim Chu Kang, Jurong areas on Boon Lay Road.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx? ... ca78355f81
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 2:39 pm

Wow, they genuinely are paranoid aren't they :wink: :)

Fascinating linked discussion. The end bit of the ECP by Changi, where all those - "Oh look, so many bougainvillea flowers, how exotic and welcoming" - huge planters of lovely shrubs are, forming a central divider.... that's an emergency military runway. And there's two others similar as well elsewhere, and another on an offshore island (can't be a secret, it's not obscured on Google View.

Learn something new every day!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 3:37 pm

JR8 wrote:Wow, they genuinely are paranoid aren't they :wink: :)

Fascinating linked discussion. The end bit of the ECP by Changi, where all those - "Oh look, so many bougainvillea flowers, how exotic and welcoming" - huge planters of lovely shrubs are, forming a central divider.... that's an emergency military runway. And there's two others similar as well elsewhere, and another on an offshore island (can't be a secret, it's not obscured on Google View.

Learn something new every day!
When I had time I was actually going to poke around on Google Earth (the app, not the maps site) to see if anyone has labelled them. Someone usually does.

Did you find the location of the "underground" one?