Singapore Expats

Anyone knows something on what can be done for this?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
phillipjko

Anyone knows something on what can be done for this?

Post by phillipjko » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:18 am

I was originally from Singapore and a citizen Went to to US for school, finished > married and kids are now in 15 and 17. I did not apply for PR for anyone in my family... due to costs etc etc.. after returning back for vacation for a few times throughout the years I thought of sometimes moving back. Problem is family do not have Singapore PR. Is it possible for my son or daughter and wife to get some form of PR in the future? I know it should have been done but did not do so. I know moving to Singapore if not a simple task and jobs are not 'that' plentiful. Suggestions?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Anyone knows something on what can be done for this?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 12:02 pm

Did you do your NS?

phillipjko

Post by phillipjko » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 7:54 pm

Yes I finished my NS a while back. Reservist finished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:06 pm

To be clear then, your children were born outside of Singapore and you did not register them as Singaporean citizens within the required year?

phillipjko

Post by phillipjko » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:08 pm

No I did not. How long did I had then... I am sure it was for like 1-2 years isn't it... That was like 17 years back

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:30 pm

Given your circumstances, you will probably be treated as any other citizen with a foreign wife and children, and you would need to overcome the following hurdles.

a) You would need to establish a place of residence and have employment such that you could cover all living costs for your family if they were all to be unemployed and in the case of your children, going to school, probably at a more expensive private school since they cannot get into public schools. Quite a few posters on this board have had their spousal/parent visa applications rejected because of an inability to show the capability to support.

b) You will probably need to start with LTVP passes for your family, and not PR. In addition to the ability to support your family, ICA will also want to be convinced that you're not in a marriage of convenience... it certainly doesn't sound like you are... and quite a few people who have posted on this board have had LTVP applications rejected because it looks like the primary reason for the marriage is to get a residency pass.

c) It may well be that you could apply directly for PR and skip the LTVP process... others here have more knowledge, and my sense is that the PR is much harder to obtain, especially in the current climate. The hill you have to climb is to prove that you intend to live in Singapore the rest of your days. I suppose the right kind of job that locks you into Singapore long term might help show that intent, and, I think that the ICA would rather give you LTVP initially and then see what happens over time... the recommended, but not mandatory, period before applying for PR is 3 years.

d) Finally, if you are loaded with money, have you wife apply for PR under the investors option... pour a bunch of cash into one of the government funds and get PR's.

I'd also wait to see what others have to say about PR. Cheers.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Anyone knows something on what can be done for this?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:55 pm

From my SC friends experience....

Long term pass is the easiest.

And if I believe my friend who married a ASEAN girl and has a SC child, long term -> SC , if you and the family fulfil the other requirements ..

phillipjko

Post by phillipjko » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:00 pm

It seems like it is going to take a while and possibly quite a bit of $... My wife is from Japan and my daughter likes Singapore during our recent trip. Not sure if we can seriously afford to move back....I am in the IT field. If 17 years has passed do I need to get a lawyer to even do this? I was in HQ3SIB At Pandan Holland area and also in Operation Starlight in the past during NS

phillipjko

Post by phillipjko » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:02 pm

Serious I am wondering what jobs I can even get for BA QA types??

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:17 am

What country are you currently living in and for how long?

phillipjko

Post by phillipjko » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:19 am

In Tennessee for 18 years ...school in PA for 6 yrs ... 23 yrs or so total

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 1:19 am

You have many financial elements to take into consideration before actually moving. First, you have been paying into social security for many years and certainly have enough quarters to qualify for benefits. You can live anywhere and collect benefits. However, if I can do the arithmetic, I guess you to be in your early to mid 50's, and that would mean more in SS benefits as your later earning years are usually the highest income. If you move to Singapore and cease paying into SS, which you must, unless employed by a US company, you will effectively set your monthly benefit in concrete.

With 40 quarters of FICA contributions you will also qualify for Medicare, and unlike social security, there are no medicare benefits available if you are living overseas. You'll have to provide for your own long term health insurance, and it's a bit of a double whammy in that you will not have been contributing very much, if anything, into your CPF for medical support in Singapore. It is true, however, that medical insurance that doesn't cover the USA, except for occasional trips back home, is substantially cheaper than in the USA.

My sense of Singapore is that it is not a good retirement destination unless you are very well off because the cost of living is only going to rise over time. You are in IT, and my sense is that as MNC's increasingly globalize their ICT operations, the high level IT skills won't be found in Singapore because most company HQ's are not in Singapore.

There are two other things to consider as well. First, you son will probably have to do NS. Both your son and daughter, when they reach 21, or when they move out, will have to be able to maintain PR through their own employment, etc.

phillipjko

Post by phillipjko » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 1:23 am

Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it. It was just a thought... I am in my late 40s. SS benefits are not much.. In fact I have not even checked. Maybe Chiang Mai or BKK?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 15 Aug 2015 12:25 am

phillipjko wrote:Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it. It was just a thought... I am in my late 40s. SS benefits are not much.. In fact I have not even checked. Maybe Chiang Mai or BKK?

If you're serious about making a move, don't just take my opinions. Contact ICA yourself with your wants and background. The Singapore gahmen really does want to bring its overseas citizens back home... you never know... they may lay out the red carpet for you. I'd definitely not dismiss your ideas until you've have a thorough airing with ICA.

And if you want to go to Thailand... well... the BKK metropolitan area is about 14 million people so it's difficult to talk about lifestyle with so many different urban places... except for traffic... you've got to love traffic. You should also check out a good Thai forum for more information: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

phillipjko

Post by phillipjko » Mon, 17 Aug 2015 5:41 am

Thanks a lot. I believe it is true the govt wants Singaporeans to go back etc if you are some high flyer(MIT, Havards, Oxford grads or dome Nobel prize winners etc)... I know it sounds cynical but I believe there is some truth in there.