Singapore Expats

exit permit info

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
nanana
Chatter
Chatter

exit permit info

Post by nanana » Thu, 08 Jul 2021 12:58 pm

Hi All (and the Eagles!),
How time flies! It has been almost 5 years since I left the little island. Miss the tropical weather, and of course all the hawker centre food! :lol:

Anyway, I'm looking for an updated info on applying for exit permit in current situation. My son will be turning 13 in few months time.
I rang CMPB when he was 12 to ask about the procedure. The staff told me to ring them again when he turns 13, they will provide a temporary password for him to apply for exit permit.

I then asked how does the bond work? We are now residing in Aust permanently, and also have taken up Aust citizenship. I am single parent (ex-Singapore PR) with full custody of my son. My son will renounce his SG citizenship once he has completed the NS. The staff told me that if he just apply for 2 yrs exit permit, he won't be needing a bond. Then he will just have to renew it every 2 year until he reaches the time to serve NS. Just wonder if anyone has been on the same path and renewing the exit permit every 2 yr? Any renewal applications had been denied?

Also, when should I apply for exit permit exactly? few months before he turns 13? so that by the time he turns 13, then he has the paperwork approved? But I remembered I read in other posts long time ago, someone advised to apply when the son is 13yr 1 month old. Although, I don't understand why.

Happy to connect with other parents who are in the same boat. My son was born in year 2008.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: exit permit info

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 08 Jul 2021 2:11 pm

I think you apply for one day short of 2 years (or 1 year) to avoid a bond requirement.

For example 364 days, not 365.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

habit175

Post by habit175 » Sat, 07 May 2022 7:01 pm

Hi nanana,

Have you applied for the exit permit for your son yet? I'm in the same situation as yours now, and looking for more info of the exit permit as well. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Wala

Post by Wala » Mon, 04 Jul 2022 12:19 pm

Hi all,
Would like to share my recent experience. Note these are just my account ... doesn't represent the right way (or only way). Furthermore it is not yet settled ie. Still ongoing.

Some background for context .. we immigrated when he was 11yrs old. After some researching ... unlikely he can avoid NS ... furthermore I'd like him to keep his Spore citizenship.

I applied for his exit permit when he turned 13yrs for 2yrs (minus 1day). Pretty straightforward ... except he doesn't have Singapass hence has to use the temporary login given by NS Portal contact. Important to note although the login is temporary and valid for 30days ... you can ask to reset if you really need more time. You'll be advise to request closer to the date you need it though.

Fast forward 2yrs (He's 15), here's maybe due to me being naive ... I thought as long as I apply another 1.5yrs just short of him being 16.5yrs old ... I wouldn't need Bond. What is not clearly started is the following ... he has to be in Spore when extending for another 1.5yrs Exit Permit w/o bond. Due to pandemic we have not return to Spore for the past 4yrs. I know suddenly find myself rushing to arrange for bonded Exit Permit. Pls take note u need to be back to extend another period upto 16.5yrs old w/o bond.

Luckily they now grant my son 3mths temporary Exit Permit to either comeback to apply, or raise the bond. I choose the latter.

Applying for Bankers Guarantee is not so straight forward too. I'll post next (got to go).

Wala

Post by Wala » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 6:39 am

Wala - Part 2.
Received email from CMPB that they have sent the BG forms/docs to the Bank (attn. Bank Officer in charge provided previously). we are asked to confirm the receipt deadline left 2 days 😨. It seem they sent perhaps weeks ago w/o me in the loop and now concern if the docs has reached the bank.

This is such an inefficient and confusing flow to raise the BG. I have feedback but the deaf ears ... partly helpline isn't the ones in charge. Note you are liason w NS Portal ppl but the real in charge is CMPB, again I don't understand why. Would like to highlight the helpline are friendly and polite.

So I'm required to check if the bank have receive anything from CMPB. What exactly I don't know since I'm not in the loop ... except it's 3 original docs which I need endorsement and then return 2 original copies to CMPB by a due date 5wka later. Hope there is enough time. Hope bank received the docs that's the most important.

Lastly(for part 2) ... they suddenly say I need to incl Power Of Attorney when returning the 2 Original copies. Again this new item suddenly sprung up from nowhere. Need details provided of this POA is related to BG and if included in correspondence between Bank and CMPB. Or if I need to engage Lawyer to do this. All these are so unnecessarily confusing esp when you are overseas. I do not believe it will be significant easier doing it personally in Spore. Easier but equally confusing.

Look out for Part3

expositer

Post by expositer » Mon, 08 Aug 2022 5:30 pm

Hi guys, new to this forum, but also in same situation. Moved when kids were all young. Now son turning almost 15, and need to look at options for extending original 2 yr exit permit.

@Wala, how are you going with your process or Part 3? cos I now find myself tossing up between making an urgent trip back to SG, or go down your path (which I assume you are trying to manage while overseas).

Wala

Post by Wala » Tue, 09 Aug 2022 7:12 pm

Part 3
Just quick Recap, you cannot apply for the BG (banker guarantee) unless you are back personally. I have asked a relative to apply on my behalf. My proxy finally got confirmation from the bank they received the docs from CMPB regarding my son's Exit Permit w BG. Made arrangement to meet the branch manager, prior to that it is important to get ready the $$$. This will be S$75K or half of yr combined income (overseas income will be converted), whichever higher. You will need to put the $$$ into a term/fixed deposit (@board rate ... not the usual consumer rate ie. very very low) and pay ~1.5% pa fees as well.

Bank complained that docs should be sent to them directly. Initially they couldn't find it (at the mail room), CMPB sent by registered mail so can confirm it was received. Anyway they claim normally the applicant brings in personally. We think this makes more sense too (highlighted in Part2), but for some reason CMPB insist they can only send directly to the bank. So best to clarify with CMPB esp if you are back in Spore.

As we did not receive the docs, bank wasn't sure if they can show us ... but yet ask us to confirm the required start/end dates. Initially I applied for 1.5yrs upto his 16.5yrs birthday thinking no bond is required upto this age. But becos he isnt in Spore, they require a bond. CMPB granted 3mths extension ... and becos with a bond now, I can apply upto 2yrs. Bank was confused as they say 1.5yrs initially in the form, it look correct we acknowledged to proceed. 3days later bank reverted that it was noted in the rear page that the appln is 2yrs. How would we know when we didnt see the docs sent to them.

Anyway, bank will proceed with the 2yrs. And it'll take another 1-1.5wks to get the endorsed BG. And then we need to return 2 original copy back to CMPB + a Power of Attorney (POA). The POA is a doc most probably given to CMPB to allow them to cease the term/fixed deposit if son fail to return.

Sorry for the messy account of things. Some are relevant to you and most probably not. If you have specific qns pls ask instead.

Here's some advice;
1) Start communicating with NS Portal way in advance atleast 3mths ahead.

2) If you can ... make a trip back with your son. This allows you to extend his EP w/o bond up to 16.5yrs old.

3) Your son need NRIC to apply for Singpass, which is then used for NS Portal login (where you apply for EP). If not you can request for temporary access which is for 1mth validity, you can renew it again if required.

4) Apart from Bond in the form of BG, you can also opt for Bond by Deed ie. 2 person to be the Guarantor. However, compliance w this isnt easy as well. They need to be gainfully employed, Sporean/PR residing in Spore etc.

5) When applying BG, go to bank branch personally to check if they are familiar. Get a contact person if possible. You need to know the Office in Charge of the branch (CMPB insist).

6) Note after you provided all information to CMPB, they will take 1wk to prepare BG application documents. Confirmed with CMPB to collect the BG appln documents personally as opposed to them sending to the bank. Expect confusion here as I spend 2-3wks going back and forth ... eventually they insist must be sent by them (bank disagree based on others appln).

7)Upon receiving the docs, bank will set appointment with you ~1wk later. You should have the $ ready. In the appt you will confirm the appln details - name, beneficiary (CMPB), a/c source of fund ... and agree the term/FD T&C. Then it'll take the bank another 1-1.5wks to prepare the BG.

The 3mths is barely enough to settle all this. Expect miscommunication through out with CMPB and the bank. What I can't ascertain is ... if you plan to come back ... I'm not sure how long you need to stay. My best guest is atleast 3-4wks for the bank meeting (while initiating the process in advance remotely).

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 31 Dec 2022 8:58 pm

nobody thanked you Wala. i thank you! detailed.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam