Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
ken

Post by ken » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 7:16 pm

I also wanna be cabin crew... and huixia im same age as u... do u noe now they are recruiting again?

Post by Guest » Wed, 01 Dec 2004 3:42 am

You can always look out for their job listings in the newspapers or go straight to their website for more information. Actually you can also send in your application even if it's not during the recruiting period. You will be put on the 'waiting list'. Once they are recruiting again and you're shortlisted, they will contact you.

In recent years, there has been an increase in the number of air stewards as compared to the stewardesses. Think they have realised that and thus recruitments are now mostly opened looking for stewardesses only. If you're interested in joining as a steward, you may have to call the HR yourself to seek for more information.

SIA stewards and stewardesses are actually very highly regarded in the airlines industry. Not only do they have looks but have brains as well. Though the looks factor might not be as glamourous as before, but the quantity of the brains has certainly increased.

ken

Post by ken » Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:56 pm

but wondering wat requirements they need? and how tall must be?

Post by Guest » Wed, 01 Dec 2004 3:06 pm

For SQ stewardess, you must be at least 158 cm in height.

For SQ steward, you must be at least 165 cm in height, if I'm not wrong.

For both SQ steward and stewardess, you must have at least 2 GCE ‘A’-level credits and 2 ‘O’-level credits including General Paper in the GCE ‘A’-level examinations, or any diploma from a local polytechnic.

There is currently a recruitment drive for SQ stewardess which will end soon on 4 December 2004. You can visit their website for more information.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Wed, 01 Dec 2004 9:00 pm

tat means full GCE O level not qualify?

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:31 pm

guest123 wrote:tat means full GCE O level not qualify?
ken wrote:do u noe now they are recruiting again
theresa wrote:to b a air stadwardness really nid 2 noe lots of languages
I could be wrong (I've never worked for an airline) but I'm going to take a wild guess that the ability to spell and to form complete, grammatically correct sentences would be quite useful in your applications to SIA. :roll:
Good luck.

u noe o not

Post by u noe o not » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 1:09 pm

It is, ahem BLOODY irritating to see people writing like that. If I were an SIA interviewer and I saw a sample of Theresa and Ken's spelling prowess, I'd fail them.

Imagine them speaking to airline passengers like that.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 1:16 pm

u noe o not wrote:It is, ahem BLOODY irritating to see people writing like that. If I were an SIA interviewer and I saw a sample of Theresa and Ken's spelling prowess, I'd fail them.

Imagine them speaking to airline passengers like that.
Luckily for them if they look good in s kirt and have a nice smile they would get the job from me (Don't know about Ken though - Maybe if he shaved his legs lah) :wink:

bafana's skirt

Post by bafana's skirt » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 1:21 pm

hey Bafana,

I look great in a skirt and I have the hots for you.

Bafana

Re: ...

Post by Bafana » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 3:54 pm

bafana's skirt wrote:hey Bafana,

I look great in a skirt and I have the hots for you.
LOL - Did you shave ur legs mate???

candy1

Post by candy1 » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 6:25 pm

wearing the uniform skirt don't need to shave leg also can... haha

Post by Guest » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 6:49 pm

guest123 wrote:tat means full GCE O level not qualify?
Yes, even with a full GCE 'O' Level cert, you are not qualified. To be part of the SIA Cabin Crew, you need at least a GCE 'A' Level cert or a diploma.

In the past, the minimum requirement used to be only a GCE 'O' Level Cert. However, for what I know, there were complaints that SQ girls are not speaking good English and thus they have raised the minimum requirements.

llchristinall

Post by llchristinall » Sat, 11 Dec 2004 6:42 pm

Is there an age cap for SIA stewardess applicants?
I'm currently taking my bachelor's degree in International Business, and I don't graduate until 22 years old.
I may pursue a masters in Human Organizational Development..and that would bring me up to 23 years of age.

The thing is that SIAs Cabin crew is extremely reputable for the quality of their service, and I'd really find it a great opportunity to learn and grow.

Im also wondering how different the quality in training Cabin crew workers vs. Ground crew workers are.

If I were to work for SIA as a Stewardess, are there any negative issues and problems I should take note of and consider first? Also, how long would the minimum contract be for a stewardess?

Any advice or other job suggestions?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 15 Dec 2004 1:25 am

I'd reconsider if I were you. Some say SQ puts a bit of a premium on looks above other qualifications, and you're likely to be perceived by many as little more than a glorified waitress in a flying bus... and that's also what your job will be the 99.99% of the time that the plane is not having acute emergencies.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 4:07 pm

jpatokal wrote:I'd reconsider if I were you. Some say SQ puts a bit of a premium on looks above other qualifications, and you're likely to be perceived by many as little more than a glorified waitress in a flying bus... and that's also what your job will be the 99.99% of the time that the plane is not having acute emergencies.
Hmmm, not sure I'd agree with jpatokal on this. Maybe we're getting off the original topic, but SQ is one of the few airlines that seems to attach importance to treating it's passengers with respect (Yes, yes, I know that comment is going to generate lots of "let me tell you about MY horrible flight" posts, but I'm talking in general terms). In turn, the expectation of respectful service from the crew encourages the passengers (imho) to be more respectful to the crew. Well, that's how it works for me, anyway. By contrast, flying with most of the other airlines, I'm expecting bad service so I'm already in a 'confrontational' state of mind! :oops:
There's a parallel here with the work ethic in Japan (here come those angry posts again! :roll: ) that -any- person who works hard and trys to contribute, no matter whether it's the company chairman, the toilet cleaner, or a waitress in a flying bus, deserves respect.
In fact, picking up on the "99.99% of the time that the plane is not having acute emergencies" comment, we should really be having a go at the pilots! Computers can do a far better job of flying the plane, and the pilots are only -required- to be there to handle emergencies. On the other hand, cabin crew have workload even when the plane is working fine.
Just food for thought.
Cheers