Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
papercut

Post by papercut » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 2:24 am

Hey guys, i've read quite a few pages in this thread. I'm 18 this year and i'm hoping to be an air steward. Problem is, i've got a not-so-good complexion and a mild(?) colour deficiency, other than that i should be fine. I've read that having customer service experience would better your chances. Are part-time job at malls counted? Is there any age limit to which a person can work as a cabin crew? What are the chances of males being recruited? Thanks!

edit: i've also got myopia, around 500 each eye. would it affect my chances?

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blancD » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 3:46 am

papercut wrote:Hey guys, i've read quite a few pages in this thread. I'm 18 this year and i'm hoping to be an air steward. Problem is, i've got a not-so-good complexion and a mild(?) colour deficiency, other than that i should be fine. I've read that having customer service experience would better your chances. Are part-time job at malls counted? Is there any age limit to which a person can work as a cabin crew? What are the chances of males being recruited? Thanks!

complexion wise for stewards, as long as it is acceptable and not much scars, you're good to go.
colour deficiency is definitely a problem, if i'm not mistaken red-green is the most common one affecting most men. for the rest of your questions... just apply for the post!!!! lol :P
"City of Ang3Ls"

Punkman

Post by Punkman » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 1:20 am

RexEupho wrote:Oh dear.... Coz i have red-green deficiency.. But i still manage to graduate from a design sch and now an art teacher.. so i wont say it affects me a lot.. u guys still tink i got a chance??
hehe hmm as long as you are able to tell the diff between a chief stewardess or a leading stewardess :lol:

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blancD » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 1:38 am

Punkman wrote:
RexEupho wrote:Oh dear.... Coz i have red-green deficiency.. But i still manage to graduate from a design sch and now an art teacher.. so i wont say it affects me a lot.. u guys still tink i got a chance??
hehe hmm as long as you are able to tell the diff between a chief stewardess or a leading stewardess :lol:
and the emergency exit... tooot tooot :P its for safety precautions definitely!
"City of Ang3Ls"

sultry

Post by sultry » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 1:15 pm

theknees wrote:
sultry wrote:how do you guys handle a question like this :

"you have a diploma/degree in e.g law, medicine. why do you want to be a F.A when you can earn more if you work in those fields?"
lol! i was asked this question during my mgmt round, and i know for sure what's the WRONG way to answer it! :)

well. the best way - you just gotta fake it. you gotta say what they wanna hear. no matter whether you really mean it or not. :)
could u pls share some tips? haha. what's the wrong way to answer those questions? thank you.

__mill

Post by __mill » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 1:31 pm

i was wondering, do they ask you about SIA history or related topic during the interview? if yes, would you mind sharing with us?

thanks ^^;

yuanz

Post by yuanz » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 5:43 pm

papercut wrote:Hey guys, i've read quite a few pages in this thread. I'm 18 this year and i'm hoping to be an air steward. Problem is, i've got a not-so-good complexion and a mild(?) colour deficiency, other than that i should be fine. I've read that having customer service experience would better your chances. Are part-time job at malls counted? Is there any age limit to which a person can work as a cabin crew? What are the chances of males being recruited? Thanks!

Hi papercut, as far as i know myopia is not a problem as long as you wear contacts (someone from this forum assured me so no worries), mine is 1000 degrees and i hope to be a FA someday too.. Alternatively you can go for Lasik, its quite common and safe nowadays. Good Luck :D

papercut

Post by papercut » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 8:09 pm

Speaking about Lasik, there's one new Lasik procedure called eagle eye or so, i can't really remember. My uncle, who's an optician, said although the procedure has been around for quite sometime, its relatively new in Singapore. So, the doctors have to be trained. The best time to go for this would be in a few years when everything has been sorted out!

jerluv

Post by jerluv » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 9:04 pm

hi anyone has any experience whereby you pass everything and SIA has given you a date to start training and due to valid reason you have to postphone your training to a later date and SIA require you to write an email in to them to state you reason??
any idea how long you will have to wait for them to reply to you in this case? will they forfeit your chances? i am so worried pls advise

papercut

Post by papercut » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:00 pm

there are such cases in earlier posts, don't worry.

dandi_lion

Post by dandi_lion » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 9:13 pm

hello. i would like to ask, am i confirmed for the job once the lady calls and tells me that i've cleared medical? because i'll be starting in about a month's time with SIA and have yet to quit from my current job, i was wondering whether it would be okay for me to submit my resignation letter now without signing the contract.

can anyone help? thanks....

saken83

Post by saken83 » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:13 pm

:D hey dilemma gal, can you PM me? i have something to ask you.. oh but then again.. if i cant pm you.. will i be able to reply ur pm?

:roll:

coldfire

Post by coldfire » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:59 pm

Hey everyone..

Just like to know how long SIA will take to reply us via email once we've sent in our application through write-in if we are selected?

Also, will they conduct any walk-ins in the near future still?

Thanks in advance!

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:21 pm

coldfire wrote:Hey everyone..

Just like to know how long SIA will take to reply us via email once we've sent in our application through write-in if we are selected?

Thanks in advance!
yup they will still conduct walk-in interviews. heard that the next one is in oct/nov.

as for how long they will reply, differs for each individual. some of them got a invitation within the same day. that time i got it 2 days after i sent in.

I think probably there's too many applicants that's why it differs. Anyway if you weren't selected this time round dun be too dishearten, can always try for the next walk-ins yea...

and there's so many airlines recruiting cabin crews, you may also wanna try for other airlines too..
Soaring above all

coldfire

Post by coldfire » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 2:05 pm

VeniE wrote:
coldfire wrote:Hey everyone..

Thanks in advance!
yup they will still conduct walk-in interviews. heard that the next one is in oct/nov.

as for how long they will reply, differs for each individual. some of them got a invitation within the same day. that time i got it 2 days after i sent in.

I think probably there's too many applicants that's why it differs. Anyway if you weren't selected this time round dun be too dishearten, can always try for the next walk-ins yea...

and there's so many airlines recruiting cabin crews, you may also wanna try for other airlines too..
Hey Vernie

Thanks for your reply! :)

I agree that the reason for the delay may be because of the overwhelming number of applicants as I've noticed applicants from other countries are also requested to send their applications to the same email address. I'll just try for the walk-in if i get no reply.

Another thing, is the 6-month bar really true? It seems there are girls trying for every interview this year but nothing has been mentioned about the bar to them. Also, the SIA website made no mention of it. Frankly, if I wasn't reading this forum, I wouldn't know it too. That's why it's making me quite puzzled. Hmm...

In any case, I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks once again!