Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
salvana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by salvana » Tue, 16 Oct 2007 8:00 pm

noophz wrote:How do we differentiate confidence and arrogance? Because everytime when I go for SIA interview, I always want to be different (lolz). Other candidates usually talk about their current job and why they want to join SIA. Me, on the other hand, talk about my academic qualifications and my country of origin (Indonesia). Should I just go with the flow and introduce myself like how other candidates did? I always got rejected -.-"

And one thing...I always speak too fast...but that's the way I talk...guess it shows that I am panicking
Hey noophz,

Juz wondering whether do you posses a degree? Coz as far as I know,SIA requires Indonesian to posses at least a degree on hand ( 1 of the minimum requirements)

Ciao.
Dreams Do Come True

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Tue, 16 Oct 2007 8:09 pm

CelT wrote:Dear M,

Thanks!
What kind of culture should i be expecting ?
Well, i have heard much abt it....

Im trying to prepare myself for it.... :)
Haha, not sure if it works....but i guess to be more mentally prepared is better than not be prepared.
Well girl, let's start with ya greetings, the very basic in STC. :P I'm sure you will be fine with your attitude. :twisted:

M
Reporter
Reporter

Re: luv the replies from u guys.... utmost appreciatiation

Post by M » Tue, 16 Oct 2007 8:12 pm

durianbuttercake wrote:To Celt,
there is nothing in this world that can define my appreciation to you.
u will be a wondeful SIA cabin crew ever.

i have few experiences in customer service before.
i have work as a waiter when i was 16. trust me, from all the chaos and scolding from customer ( although they are wrong ) i have learned the fundamental of serving the food for the customer ( soon will be passenger ).
i have also gained some experience from working as a product promoter.
will my experiences from the past be an advantage for me?
and.. what is actually water confident test?
Just my 2 cents worth that past experiences might be helpful but not necessarily useful if SIA feels what you're presenting to them isn't what they are looking for.

WCT, please refer to earlier postings. There are tons of postings on that. :twisted:

CelT
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CelT » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:01 am

Hi M,

thanks for the update!

Hey DurianButterCake,
As mentioned by M, there are alot of threads in the forum that talks about Water Confidence Test....do go take a look at them....

but looking at the number of pages, u probably need quite some time to find them...well, a brief summary for u :

Basically, during WCT,
1) u r required to change into your swim gear
2) Take height & Weight
3) One of the instructors to brief u on what to do & how to use the life jacket
4) then pick yr life jackets & wear them
5) u will go up to mock plane, expected to jump into the pool
6) then swim backstroke to the end of pool ( of course with life jacket )
7) one by one, walk to examiner, she will look at yr body posture, skin & may be something else we wouldnt know... :)
8) then change back & wait for results to be announced!

Thats about all...if u clear, another date will be proposed for Management rd! :D

Just do your best, but dont be too stressed...when the time will come for u to be part of this world class Team, u will be.... :D
.CEL.

Ferrin

Post by Ferrin » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 1:13 pm

Well, juz a piece of advice for ppl out there who are not so fluent in ur english, dun need to bother to apply for the position, unless u hav alot of spare time $$ and energy...
they r not really vey promising, and can juz make u go all the way wasting ur time n effort, and reject u in the end.

I was told during my management round that i hav passed the round, n m able to go thru training with the rest of the ppl after medical, but need to go for eng course to brush up my language n obtain a cert b4 i can grad from training class...

Later on, was informed that i need to submit the cert for review b4 i can go for training

Then, was informed that i had to go thru another review interview to test my eng standard

Now, was told that my review was unsuccessful, without telling me any reason, n worst part is that i had juz quitted my job as i was hoping to start my training earlier...

durianbuttercake

thanx again Celt

Post by durianbuttercake » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 1:42 pm

To Celt:

how often is the open call will be held?
i will definitely miss the october interview due to lack of qualification and i'm not yet 18.
is there any possibilities that another interview will be held in april nex year?

thanx Celt for the previous reply. really appreciate it

CelT
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CelT » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 1:44 pm

Dear Ferrin,

Push your case & ask why...
I personally feel u have the right to ask for the reason for rejection...
U did as instructed, so go ahead & asked them....

I can understand yr disappointment....dont give up now...push alittle further if possible...

I rem another girl had the same case as u...hows her case?
.CEL.

CelT
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CelT » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 1:47 pm

Hey DurianButterCake,

Starting this year, SIA has been recruiting pretty often...once every 1 and 1/2 mths....probably due to the new airbuses....

So, perhaps the next recruitment will be in dec2007....so, if u count one and half mths....they shld be recruiting in April still...

Well, good, u can take this time to take up some courses...u r still so young :)
.CEL.

durianbuttercake

Dear Celt

Post by durianbuttercake » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 2:18 pm

thank you again for everything
your replies really help me to improve my preparation for nex year.
i really wish that we can work together nex year
and i beg you dun turn sour
and be like the stereotype seniors...
gud luck with ur training.
do u hav msn?

Stu

Post by Stu » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 3:02 pm

Ferrin - Sorry to hear that. This is very unfortunate.

Just to understand the process/logistics a bit better, do you not get a contract or letter of some sort once they told you that you have cleared the management interview? How does one get invited for the training then? It can't be by phone call or email, can it? Surely there must be a letter of appointment or something stating the salary being paid during the training period?

The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't resign from one job until you see something "black & white" from the next employer. And if there is a contract/letter of appointment from the next employer and they back track, then you can sue for cause.......

Whatever the case, I don't think you should regard money spent on courses (for self improvement) as a waste of time/money. Yes, it causes a dent in the Bank Account but if it is of no use this time round, I am sure it will be of benefit the next. If not for this job, then it will be for others.

Keep the spirits up.....

Ferrin

Post by Ferrin » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 5:38 pm

Stu wrote:Ferrin - Sorry to hear that. This is very unfortunate.

Just to understand the process/logistics a bit better, do you not get a contract or letter of some sort once they told you that you have cleared the management interview? How does one get invited for the training then? It can't be by phone call or email, can it? Surely there must be a letter of appointment or something stating the salary being paid during the training period?

The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't resign from one job until you see something "black & white" from the next employer. And if there is a contract/letter of appointment from the next employer and they back track, then you can sue for cause.......

Whatever the case, I don't think you should regard money spent on courses (for self improvement) as a waste of time/money. Yes, it causes a dent in the Bank Account but if it is of no use this time round, I am sure it will be of benefit the next. If not for this job, then it will be for others.

Keep the spirits up.....

Thanks Stu...
After i got my management interview result, i was given a letter for medical check up...juz like all of the stewardess-soon-to-be....
I only got the promise of the job verbally...

summerboy02
Regular
Regular

Re: HiHi

Post by summerboy02 » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 5:39 pm

kaozzzzzz wrote:Hi Durian Butter Cake....

Everyone wanna the job as well! I had to go thru 3 times....

anyway,as much as u want the job, I think maybe these would help...(from my experience)

Rd 1:: Confident and Steady...some were over-confident...in the end they were so malu and disappointed... most who go through do not show any signs of panicking...they are able to bring out themselves as if they are just having a conversation...oh yah...stand uprite...good posture counts...If you really want the job, just a suggestion....keep emphasizing that you are very much into customer service.....thats what I told my friends and they usually clear rd one....hehe

Rd 2:: checking of nails and the way u walk...just don flick ur hand too high...walk with glam i guess...hehe (no questions were given to me...but I heard some guys saying that they asked how he maintained his complexion)

Rd 3 :: 1-1 interview-- they would try to bombard you questions like "How do you think you can contribute to the company" "Why do you want to be a steward" "What do you see yourself in so x x yrs?"
Guess try to answer back with confidence...

Do you have experience in customer service? If you have that would be great cos they would tend to ask questions about your former jobs as well....You'll have more topic to talk on!
Dear Kaozzzz

For your last interview there are only 3 rounds of interview on the same day?No more WTC for guys?
What do you think the rounds for the upcoming interview for steward will be?Is it still:

Round 1:grp interview
Round2:1 to 1 interview
Round3:WTC
Round4:management Interview
Please advise...Many thanks

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 5:48 pm

summerboy02 wrote:
kaozzzzzz wrote:Hi Durian Butter Cake....

Everyone wanna the job as well! I had to go thru 3 times....

anyway,as much as u want the job, I think maybe these would help...(from my experience)

Rd 1:: Confident and Steady...some were over-confident...in the end they were so malu and disappointed... most who go through do not show any signs of panicking...they are able to bring out themselves as if they are just having a conversation...oh yah...stand uprite...good posture counts...If you really want the job, just a suggestion....keep emphasizing that you are very much into customer service.....thats what I told my friends and they usually clear rd one....hehe

Rd 2:: checking of nails and the way u walk...just don flick ur hand too high...walk with glam i guess...hehe (no questions were given to me...but I heard some guys saying that they asked how he maintained his complexion)

Rd 3 :: 1-1 interview-- they would try to bombard you questions like "How do you think you can contribute to the company" "Why do you want to be a steward" "What do you see yourself in so x x yrs?"
Guess try to answer back with confidence...

Do you have experience in customer service? If you have that would be great cos they would tend to ask questions about your former jobs as well....You'll have more topic to talk on!
Dear Kaozzzz

For your last interview there are only 3 rounds of interview on the same day?No more WTC for guys?
What do you think the rounds for the upcoming interview for steward will be?Is it still:

For guys the first 2 rounds are on the same day.. WCT and mgmt are on 2 separate days..

for girls there will be 3 rounds (plus kebaya test +skin check) on the first day...
Soaring above all

kaozzzzzz

Post by kaozzzzzz » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 5:49 pm

summerboy02 wrote:
Dear Kaozzzz

Hi Summer02,

I was quite taken aback when I went for the write-in interview...the following are the rounds that the candidate went thru,

Round 1: Self presentation in Group
Rd 2: For ladies, to test kebaya and check complexion, For the guys, just checking of hands and walk in a straight line
Rd 3: 1-1 interview
Rd 4:: management round
Rd 5: medical

:P Not sure if the walk-in would be the same...I guess, more or less they will stick to this ba...Good luck!

noophz

Post by noophz » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 5:53 pm

salvana wrote:
noophz wrote:How do we differentiate confidence and arrogance? Because everytime when I go for SIA interview, I always want to be different (lolz). Other candidates usually talk about their current job and why they want to join SIA. Me, on the other hand, talk about my academic qualifications and my country of origin (Indonesia). Should I just go with the flow and introduce myself like how other candidates did? I always got rejected -.-"

And one thing...I always speak too fast...but that's the way I talk...guess it shows that I am panicking
Hey noophz,

Juz wondering whether do you posses a degree? Coz as far as I know,SIA requires Indonesian to posses at least a degree on hand ( 1 of the minimum requirements)

Ciao.
Hi Salvana,

I have a degree on hand (overseas degree). I think I meet all their requirements, but dunno...I just don't have the right attitude....yet? lolz

You're Indonesian too?

Somehow after reading so many posts about the interviews and all, I feel rather demotivated as it sounds extremely tough and difficult to get in!!