Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:47 pm

Very interesting lowsh83, I have just had a PM from a complete stranger wise enough to avoid this forum and likely cabin crew her/himself which tells me all about the swimming test. Suprise surprise I now know even more than I did to start with.

I suggest you get your facts right before joining prince in posting what is not only rubbish but very likely brazen lies. I really do not believe he is in training with SIA.

Plavt.

Ps: encourage people - you want them to drown?
Last edited by Plavt on Wed, 22 Feb 2006 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilprawn

Post by lilprawn » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:39 am

Hi ppl..
I have sent in my application to Silkair but til now there's no reply from them, I think I stand no more chance. Anyone know how long does they take to reply applications ? I've always wanted to be a Cabin Crew.
Anyway, I'm only holding an O'levels cert, can I try the walk-in interview for SIA? Will they accept O'levels student? Coz the requirements stated was A'levels / Diploma and above preferred. Should I try to go for the interview ? I do have experience in customer service..
Someone please advise me..

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:43 am

Woah! Hold your horses people. I really think it isn't necessary to argue on this issue. Probably we could take the critiques as lessons? You know, like a teacher in school scolding us for something we did wrong. We hate it when they do that right? We could learn something from refraining to argue back. Patience. We really need that in our pocket when we are flying in the future. Not all passengers are kind you know. And how can we forget nasty zapping seniors?

If you have questions on what to do for and during the inetrviews this weekend, I suggest you turn to page 334 of this thread. There, I posted some informative advice for this weekend. It's the first post of the page.

On the 'water confidence/swimming test' issue, I personally feel that an applicant really should at least know how to swim. Although not up to standard, I guess the basics would be good enough. Rather than not knowing at all. It's really for our own good as well. Who knows one of your flights in the future crashes into the sea and you're with a life vest but can't swim. Those who know they can't swim are prone to panic easily. Thus, can't swim at all with the massive pressure surrounding her. What about the passengers who are not trained to evacuate at all?

From what I researched, I learnt that in training, you will be in a simulated crash and will have to jump into a pool of rigorous waves. The atmosphere would be dark and panic-like. Trainees are expected to swim to the end of the pool. Is this true? Well, whatever it is, I personally think a basic proficiency of swimming should be possessed. I suggest learn the basics than not knowing at all. Once again, it's for your own good. You could save your own life if an accident were to occur.

I hope you have the compassion and passion to be FA. It's not about the job alone. We need to remember as a FA, the passengers' safety lies in our hands sometimes. Don't get me wrong. I'm not siding Plavt or Vaucluse, nor am I with the others. I'm just stating my point of view. If I do sound offensive, I apologise.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:50 am

lowsh83 wrote: I personally feel that 'whoever you are' should stop discouraging those who do not know how to swim from joining SIA. As what prince had mentioned, his instructor told them that it is not necessary to know how to swim .Thus i do believe his statement definitely can boost up the morale of those people who do not know how to swim.
I'm a bit surprised that an instuctor would state that it's not neccessary to know how to swim, but as Prince said, he did.

My concern is that you have openingly quoted what the instructor said (and named him before thankfully removing it :roll: ) on this forum. I must say this is a little foolish as you've now given false hope to many young wannaby FAs who thought they don't meet the criteria as they can't swim. So when they fail the swimming test they are going to say, "but an instructor said being able to swim is not neccessary :(

Another thing to take into account when posting on this forum, and any other forum in fact, that they are completely open to anyone to view. I bet you, witout doubt, that this thread is read and monitored by SIA recruitment staff :o shook horror you say, but believe they do! (They might even post!)

I'm hoping you removed that instructors name in time before anyone from SIA saw it!

abastos

Swimming Test

Post by abastos » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 1:41 am

It really looks heated up in here! Well, all you aspiring FAs out there, as for the water confidence and swimming ability test, future FAs should know how to swim atleast 25 metres. It's a mandatory requirement by all airlines. Even with a life vest on, every individual should be able to swim from one end to the other in the pool. Being a FA myself, I've been told that candidates should be able to swim with aid(life vest). Options can be given on whether you would like to put on the life vest. So, my point to all aspiring FAs here, make sure you do know how to swim. Seriously, put aside the requirements and ask yourselves honestly on whether you can save yourselves first when you're in the water after a plane crash let alone passengers? Reflect about it and the answer will be right before you! Hope i've cleared this mess for you Plavt and to the rest of you people. Good luck for the upcoming interviews! Wish all you people the best on getting selected! Ciao!

Abastos

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 2:58 am

Thank you, thank you, Saint, Singaporegrrl and in particular abastos as I know you are a steward. You have confirmed what I have stated repeatedly. On top of that it should be obvious to anyone with a serious interest in becoming a flight attendant. I am sure you had to do a lot of work in planning your application.

Do keep posting if you have the time, I am not a 'meanie' or want to insult anybody the sad fact is some people just cannot accept the truth.
However, it would help if the airline would state clearly on its website what the requirements are and I will be writing to them to point this out.

Once again thanks for your post and take good care of yourself, I know your job is hard work and the crew are so often taken for granted.

Plavt.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 8:13 am

Mean and meanies? Getting highbrow, are we?

'nuff said Image

Cheesie
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheesie » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:24 am

Greenlife wrote:Hi Cheesie,

May I know you are applying for the flight steward or stewardess?
Keen to chat in msn....

My look is okay with the glasses,but I never try contact lens before so this would be my first time wearing contact lens, I feel like not nice looking menn....no choice...what to do...haiz
Greenlife... Yep, i'm applying for flight stewardess and would be going for the interview on this saturday!!

Ya, i think contact lens would be prefered!! So smile.... :wink:

ryanstarr
Regular
Regular

Post by ryanstarr » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 4:29 pm

quote="lilprawn"]Hi ppl..
I have sent in my application to Silkair but til now there's no reply from them, I think I stand no more chance. Anyone know how long does they take to reply applications ? I've always wanted to be a Cabin Crew.
Anyway, I'm only holding an O'levels cert, can I try the walk-in interview for SIA? Will they accept O'levels student? Coz the requirements stated was A'levels / Diploma and above preferred. Should I try to go for the interview ? I do have experience in customer service..
Someone please advise me..[/quote]

Hey, "lil"...my friend is 40 years old and he has both "A"s and a Diploma. Plus he has 5 years flying experience with SQ previously. Do you think he's going? You bet!!! 40 years old....haha. :D
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

chiken_c

Post by chiken_c » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 4:35 pm

lowsh83 wrote:Be it wrong or right, i guess Plavt sould stop using ugly words like 'idiot' to insult anyone.
i agree with u. not just plavt, anyone out there as well.

idiot or not has nothing to do with swimming test. idiot or not is not for anyone to judge.

but plavt is brought up from another culture? perhaps the way he typed it is acceptable elsewhere and not here? well not among me and friends at least. haha.

ryanstarr
Regular
Regular

Post by ryanstarr » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 4:44 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Mean? I guess it's better to let people think they don't have to worry about knowing how to swim well . . . potentially to save lives.

Again, inform potential applicants that they can expect a swim test, with vest, but that it is important to know how to swim

Umm, swimming test for me? No thanks, I was an officer in the navy (submarines) and know how to swim quite well, thanks (Oh, PADI Rescue Diver Level with Night Dive and Drift Diver level)
Guys, I've been for the 'swim test' before. Basically, they (Cabin Crew managers standing by the poolside) are there looking for good body proportion in the candidates, whether you have "spare tyres", tattoos etc. If the aircraft ditches, we're all as good as gone to meet our Maker! So it's not a 'swim test' in the true sense of the word! :)
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

jerlyn
Regular
Regular

Post by jerlyn » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 4:56 pm

Greenlife wrote:Hi Chai Ching,

Thanks for you advise.
I'm quite surprise that you offer me to go along with you but I think you do not know I'm actually a guy. This is my first time apply for the SIA cabin crew. I like the travelling life but I'm worry I'm not qualify enough for this position.

Tell you that I already prepare what going to said during intro session. I'm soooo nervous now and worry I can't present well on that day. Haiz.....
anyway, I hope I can pass the test.

Pray for me ...hahahha
Pray for you! :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 4:58 pm

For your information chicken_c the poster simply asked for it. A particular young lady posted something that amounted to nonsense. As is the usual case several others joined in the fray supporting her in what was totally incorrect.

The poster in question claimed to be an SIA trainee and indulged in supporting that particular lady in her post which I know for a fact is nonsense. If the guy was in training for SIA he would not have done so rather idiotic don't you think?

The argument and not for the first time was about the swimming test about which I received a PM from somebody familiar with the procedure and quite possibly somebody from within the airline. The SIA trainee if that is what he his would have described the procedure not made fictitious claims and help mislead people. I suggest you read the post by Abastos who is flight attendant and describes the swimming test in some detail.

I find it sad that so many people ask the most absurd questions to which they could easily find the answers themselves if they can be bothered. I can see only too easily a great many on this board have no chance whatsoever of becoming a flight attendant and if you are upset by my comments, I assure they are nothing to what you may get if you succeed in getting the job.

I have written to the airline and asked to clarify this issue in their advertisement for cabin crew so applicants can read for themselves if of course they can be bothered.

Plavt.

Cheesie
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheesie » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 6:00 pm

I have asked a fren of mine which she had already pass all the rounds in the previous recuitment, she said that doesn't matter you know how to swin or not, you are with a life jacket, the main point is you are already floating, and all you need to do is just kick all the way to the side and you can passed! And they will tell you to lie on your back and kick kick kick!!! tts all...
Last edited by Cheesie on Sun, 02 Jul 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 6:30 pm

With silly statements like that cheesie, go back a few pages and read the post by abastos who is a flight attendant. I have written to the airline and asked them to clarify things on their website so there will not be any arguments in future.

Plavt.