Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:09 pm

starrynitezz wrote:
ben-yng wrote:
starrynitezz wrote: well, her stares did get me worried n thus my confidence level went down... hee... i admit la.. :P
hope u perform better next week..

any idea / suggestion for rainchocolate??

ur fren havent back yet??
hehe.. thats 2years ago leh..now (my teeth is) not that bad already :D

ur refering to her skin arh? i dunno eh, cos i myself dun have any skincare routine to follow... dam lazy lah.. sometimes don even cleanse face properly..slp with makeup etc.. n i also believe in sleeping early~ try to zzz before 11pm, drink Tense up Ex n Brands Chicken Essence.. ex, but i drink it every 2 weeks ba :lol:
but if i join SIA as cabin crew, dont think can slp early right... so may spend more $$ on this..

ha.. stewardess are all very busy ppl.. i hardly get to meet up with my fren.. i can say we only meet up in every 4 months or so.. n i think its not so nice of me to just ask her where she took e lessons last time right... :o c how la, her lifestyle n mine is different also.. she club regularly whereas i dont..
CHICKEN Essencei tot is was for energy thingy?.. dun sleep wit make up la it hurt skin the most as i read from Female~.

nevermind la m surfing info abt Ikoma and CC le..i think these shd be more than enuf edi..

i wanna get this dream >.<.. this dream can be another stepstone for my next goal too..kanasai ler why i fail ler..sigh..

Merry Xmas..and..hope u get in next week..

ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:12 pm

xmischax wrote:hey people, anybody got the slot for interviews on 27th dec? and as mentioned by some who were advised to go for walk-in in jan instead, do you know when's the date for that? thanks in advance :)

and congrats, venie! really happy for you! was told by other older members of the forum. your perseverance paid off! :D

shd be 27 Jan o..so be prepared..

ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:13 pm

gliny wrote:crew life....can be fun :P yet fustrating at times... :???:

why say so? r u flying now?.. or ex?

ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Re: skin

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:20 pm

MirageBomb wrote:Unless you've got virtually flawless skin that glows, at least make an effort to put light foundation / concealer ba.. IMHO if you nail the presentability part, you've pretty much got it down by 50%. If you were the one doing the hiring, would you hire someone bright and cheerful looking but less experienced, or haggard and tired looking but very experienced? Makeup can help you achieve the former look.

In your prospect employers' eyes, you're already one step above the faceless crowd if you come across as someone who has a clear idea of what he/she is doing.. you're to be an SIA stewardess, synonymous with the SIA brand... you don't have to be a beauty queen, just be able to demonstrate an awareness of this unspoken requirement.

The other 50%, I believe, is how comfortably you carry/conduct yourself, and what comes out of your mouth during interviews. Honestly, they had no idea how to interpret my Year 10 results, I think they let me through because of the way I spoke/looked.. the poor lady at the registration area kept asking me "..Are you Singaporean?! You are Singaporean?! ....What is Year 10? HUH? ..O levels? N-not degree?" :lol: Once you reach the interview area, you are already "performing".. Give it your best, let your performance speak for itself, and you won't have to worry about that (damned) piece of paper. ;)

I'm very nervous bout my 9am slot on 26 Dec.. so I'm trying my best to unwind and prepare myself over the next couple of days.. don't wanna get too anxious and get a major mental block. ;) Whether I get thru or not, I'll definitely keep everyone else updated so they know what to expect. :D

elyn3ve wrote:

so your concern is the whitehead and blackhead right? ur skin type is belong to dehydrated skin + excess sebum, right? i'll let you know after i try the neostrata set. my blackhead is quite serious... esp my nose because my pores are big enough to suck dust. hihih....

I heard quite a number of ppl use the neostrata recommend that it works esp the oil gland. but never of them mention about blackhead and whitehead cos they don use "oily skin solution" only clarifying cleanser and gel plus(act as a moisturizer)
nod-nods.. blackheads aren't too much of an issue now, just the whiteheads. ;) But I guess I still have to see a derm bout the other skin problems like premature aging (never took care of my skin before this year, hoho =x *guilty look*). Thx again! :D :D
guys..i kicked off during 1st round..I;m not in the picture of hows the situation after first round, nor, understand how u guys feel how nervous you guys are..cant even imagine..

the only i can do is..i will "pray" for all of u.. gambateh..

ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:22 pm

VeniE wrote:
xmischax wrote:and congrats, venie! really happy for you! was told by other older members of the forum. your perseverance paid off! :D
thanks thanks... wha..becoming superstar le.. keke...
:oops: :oops: :oops:
[-X [-X [-X

you are "Asian Idol"

esah

Post by esah » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:17 pm

I have this friend 18 years old, now an SIA stewardess already. Thing is, she quit poly and has only Olevel cert. But she is model-like; tall, flawless and great figure. But then again, i thought SIA is strict with the qualifications?

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:21 pm

ben-yng wrote:
xmischax wrote:hey people, anybody got the slot for interviews on 27th dec? and as mentioned by some who were advised to go for walk-in in jan instead, do you know when's the date for that? thanks in advance :)

and congrats, venie! really happy for you! was told by other older members of the forum. your perseverance paid off! :D

shd be 27 Jan o..so be prepared..

thanks! hopefully i get through next thurs, though! lol :)
when strange things happen, they call it fate.

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:22 pm

ben-yng wrote:
VeniE wrote:
xmischax wrote:and congrats, venie! really happy for you! was told by other older members of the forum. your perseverance paid off! :D
thanks thanks... wha..becoming superstar le.. keke...
[-X [-X [-X

you are "Asian Idol"
lol yeah.. cos you're one of the "older" members who are still around!

ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:33 pm

xmischax wrote:
ben-yng wrote:
VeniE wrote: thanks thanks... wha..becoming superstar le.. keke...
[-X [-X [-X

you are "Asian Idol"

:? ya.. m age 25 edi..if m not the "old" one..who else??..

well~~who care?? m the "older" nonsense ppl here hehe..

u pls dun say "older" to VeniE..she is the idol here..

erm..if u r new..i mean if..then..

"welcome to this big family~~"

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:47 pm

ben-yng wrote:
xmischax wrote: lol yeah.. cos you're one of the "older" members who are still around!
lolx...

actually.. ben-yng, you're a guy right?
for guys, i think they prefer mature guys wor.. :D
only for girls, age will reall matters coz SIA have to take into consideration abt marriage den also family planning.. can't have kids too late ar..

guys different ma..
anyway, for flight steward, the career life is longer..

PS: you have a look at xmischax's registration date, she's senior than me wor.. keke..
Soaring above all

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:50 pm

ben-yng wrote:
xmischax wrote:
ben-yng wrote: [-X [-X [-X

you are "Asian Idol"

ohh no! i meant "older" as in have been on this forum for a long time, not as in age!

and no i'm not new, i've been around for almost a year, since christmas last year. lol

and there aren't alot who stayed this long! like, i only see venie, caryssa and chaiching who are still around since last year!

ow_tv

Visble scar

Post by ow_tv » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:05 am

Hi everyone, just want to know what is the possibility of being accepted if you have two small scars around your bottom lip? Cuz in the application form they ask if you have any visible scars. Anyone knows of people getting in despite having visible scars?

starrynitezz
Regular
Regular

Post by starrynitezz » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:25 am

ben-yng wrote: CHICKEN Essencei tot is was for energy thingy?.. dun sleep wit make up la it hurt skin the most as i read from Female~.

nevermind la m surfing info abt Ikoma and CC le..i think these shd be more than enuf edi..

i wanna get this dream >.<.. this dream can be another stepstone for my next goal too..kanasai ler why i fail ler..sigh..

Merry Xmas..and..hope u get in next week..
hehe.. happy holidays to u too~

i drink Fancl Tense up Ex too..hoping tt complexion will be better ma... drink chicken essence cos got alot at home.. n i also noe (sleep with makeup) v bad for skin but sometimes really v lazy leh.. :P

reflect ba, n of cos, keep trying.. i waited for quite sometime before trying.. wasted half a year wondering if i should try :D

n..stepping stone for next goal? hee..curious now..

ChLoeGer

Re: Visble scar

Post by ChLoeGer » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:30 am

ow_tv wrote:Hi everyone, just want to know what is the possibility of being accepted if you have two small scars around your bottom lip? Cuz in the application form they ask if you have any visible scars. Anyone knows of people getting in despite having visible scars?
hihiz.. i got a chicken pox scar on my forehead bt i got in.. so dun worry to try ya?? nothing is impossible!!! look at our Asian idol here - VENIE!!

haha..Venie..u r really getting very famous here le!! =D

white.minicooper

Post by white.minicooper » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:44 am

[quote="VeniE"]Okay ppl…
To help those newbies and the members here who are going for the upcoming interview, I’ll do a summary of the rounds and little Venie’s tips.

Round 1: Mass intro (a group of 10 ppl)
There will be 2 interviewers doing the interview, one will be doing the talking and another one will be the observer. Usually they will ask you do a self-intro and why wanna be cabin crew.

For me, the interviewer asked us to do a short intro and something interesting abt yourself. The interviewer also emphasis that they dun want us to state why we wanna be cabin crew( sick of hearing the same ans. lol.). So when it’s my turn, I do a short intro of myself and regarding the interest part myself, I told them abt my experience as a school prefect.

For this round, they wanna see how you react in a crowd of ppl, and how you present yourself. While waiting for your turn to speak, always sit still and pay attention to the person who’s doing the talking coz the observer is watching EVERYBODY in the room. When it’s your turn, stand up, smile and take a deep breath before doing the talking. Speak with confident, not too much hand gestures and always smile in between the pause.

Keep your speech short and sweet. Best to limit it between 1 to 3 mins. Too long will appear too loh soh.

Round 2: Kebaya & skin check (kebaya only applies to girls)
Girls will change into the kebaya available on the stand. Choose one that is not too tight or too loose. They will ask you to tie up your hair if it’s long. Then you’ll queue up to take your height and weight. Den you’ll line up in a row to do your walking turn by turn.

Just walk as normal, not too stiff, not too fast. And SMILE!!! Sometimes the lady will ask you one or two questions, whether you working or studying, whether is this your first attempt. They just wanna look at your teeth.

If you pass you will proceed to skin check. If you were asked to change out of your kebaya means fail the walking. For the skin check, you’ll stand in front of a spotlight, abt a meter away. They will assess your face, neck, back, lower arms and hands. Not everyone is born with flawless skin, the thing is you must be able to cover those flaws. After that you can change your kebaya.

Round 3: 1 to 1 interview
This round there will be one interviewer doing the interview. It is more of get-to-know you session. They will look at your application form first before posting you any questions. Commonly questions asked are stated below. And at times they will ask you some plane scenario questions. Different ppl will get different questions, some tough ones some will get simple ones.

And there’s a passage to test your oral speaking. But some girls din get that. So depends on your interviewer ba. Always browse thru the passage first before you start to read. J

For me I was asked about my previous job and one interesting thing that happened. Why I wanna be cabin crew? Why I didn’t make it at my previous attempts? What I have improved so far from the first attempt till now? Scenario qns asked were what will you do if you met a drunken passenger? Will you still provide him more drinks? If you accidentally spilled a hot drink on a passenger and the passenger is super furious, what will you do?

Show them that you’re really keen in joining the airline.

Round 4: WCT
This was phased out. But not sure whether will they implement again. As I never been to this round so can’t help much. Keke..

Round 5: Mgmt Round
This round there’s two interviewers doing the interview, one is the observer and one will do the talking. Same thing, they will look at your application form before asking you the question, similar to Round 3.

For me, question ased were my previous job, why wanna join cabin crew, how long I intend to stay with the airline.

This is a list of commonly asked questions that I know of:
-tell me abt yourself & your family
-why do you wanna join SIA as a cabin crew?
-why cabin crew and not any other frontline job?
-what qualities does a cabin crew needs to acquire?
-why do you want to switch a career?
-why wanna leaveyour current job?
-what are the roles of a cabin crew?
-what makes a good customer service?
-where do you see yourself in 5 to 10 years time?
-how serious are you about being a cabin crew?
-why are you not selected from your previous attempts?
-what make you think i (SIA staff) will want you to join us as a cabin crew?
-if you're not successful, what are your plans?
-name me 5 cities that SIA flies to
-what do you know about SIA?
-what are the aircraft SIA currently has?
-what is the recent news you know about SIA?

Finally, just wanna say that just relax and dun panick. Once you’re too tensed up, you can think properly and ans that you give will not be the best. Definitely you don’t wanna regret after coming out if the interview that you din say this or that or should have said something else. They are not looking for perfect ans, as long as the ans you gave is justifiable will do.

I always tell myself: “If you can’t even handle these interviewers den what makes you think that you can handle those nasty passengers on board?”