Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
rine_85
Regular
Regular

Post by rine_85 » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:55 am

Hi Venie and Pacificgal, do SIA perform reference checks on ur previous employers before asking u to sign the letter of contract?
VeniE wrote:
rurik0 wrote:
VeniE wrote:I received the email for me to go down sign the contract on 14th jan @ 2pm..

anyway i'm in batch 944.. is there anyone also in same batch as me??
Hi venie
wow ur batch only 3 batches away from mine....mine's 941. 942 started today(i think so) and 943 on 2nd Jan... Hope to see you guys soon... haha let me know what you look like so i can recognise you =) =)
well.. i have 2 eyes, 1 nose, 2 ears and one mouth.. keke.. keep a lookout k.. hahaha...

the one with that speak loud and carry with many actions.. that's me...whahaha...

yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yingying2888 » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:57 am

garlic wrote:
yingying2888 wrote:
garlic wrote: hi yingying2888,

i went through my mgt rd back in July but was KIVed cause i'll only grad in feb 08. next wed i'm going for my review interview. not much idea how it's gonna be conducted though. so excited yet so nervous! hopefully i can pass! good luck to everybody who's going for your interviews soon too!

wow.. wats KIV? and wats the review interview? is it the 6 months ban? where u studyin at?
KIV is Keep In View. means they din't reject but never accept me either. just told me that they'll contact me for a review interview nearer to my graduation. heard fr some that a review is pretty much like the mgt interview. so nervous..
i'm studying at NP. :D
thats so cool! i tink they must have really like you alot to put you under KIV.. i'm in SP.. :wink:

yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yingying2888 » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:04 pm

okieping wrote:
yingying2888 wrote:i'm still desperately checking my mail.. hmm... and i didnt put a nicely make up picture for the passport size pic.. will they reject me after seeing all my freckles?

Girl freckles is okie...as long as it can be covered with foundation... but dont put to thick la....less is more...i have freckles too...and i managed to pass the skin check the last time...
thanks.. the problem is the pic that i attached in the write in application is totally make-up less! no make up at all.. haha.. just hoping that they still gonna take me in judging from my application..

MirageBomb

Re: skin

Post by MirageBomb » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:16 pm

Unless you've got virtually flawless skin that glows, at least make an effort to put light foundation / concealer ba.. IMHO if you nail the presentability part, you've pretty much got it down by 50%. If you were the one doing the hiring, would you hire someone bright and cheerful looking but less experienced, or haggard and tired looking but very experienced? Makeup can help you achieve the former look.

In your prospect employers' eyes, you're already one step above the faceless crowd if you come across as someone who has a clear idea of what he/she is doing.. you're to be an SIA stewardess, synonymous with the SIA brand... you don't have to be a beauty queen, just be able to demonstrate an awareness of this unspoken requirement.

The other 50%, I believe, is how comfortably you carry/conduct yourself, and what comes out of your mouth during interviews. Honestly, they had no idea how to interpret my Year 10 results, I think they let me through because of the way I spoke/looked.. the poor lady at the registration area kept asking me "..Are you Singaporean?! You are Singaporean?! ....What is Year 10? HUH? ..O levels? N-not degree?" :lol: Once you reach the interview area, you are already "performing".. Give it your best, let your performance speak for itself, and you won't have to worry about that (damned) piece of paper. ;)

I'm very nervous bout my 9am slot on 26 Dec.. so I'm trying my best to unwind and prepare myself over the next couple of days.. don't wanna get too anxious and get a major mental block. ;) Whether I get thru or not, I'll definitely keep everyone else updated so they know what to expect. :D

elyn3ve wrote:

so your concern is the whitehead and blackhead right? ur skin type is belong to dehydrated skin + excess sebum, right? i'll let you know after i try the neostrata set. my blackhead is quite serious... esp my nose because my pores are big enough to suck dust. hihih....

I heard quite a number of ppl use the neostrata recommend that it works esp the oil gland. but never of them mention about blackhead and whitehead cos they don use "oily skin solution" only clarifying cleanser and gel plus(act as a moisturizer)
nod-nods.. blackheads aren't too much of an issue now, just the whiteheads. ;) But I guess I still have to see a derm bout the other skin problems like premature aging (never took care of my skin before this year, hoho =x *guilty look*). Thx again! :D :D
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Einstein

Acorna

Post by Acorna » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 1:00 pm

yingying2888 wrote:
okieping wrote:
yingying2888 wrote:i'm still desperately checking my mail.. hmm... and i didnt put a nicely make up picture for the passport size pic.. will they reject me after seeing all my freckles?

Girl freckles is okie...as long as it can be covered with foundation... but dont put to thick la....less is more...i have freckles too...and i managed to pass the skin check the last time...
thanks.. the problem is the pic that i attached in the write in application is totally make-up less! no make up at all.. haha.. just hoping that they still gonna take me in judging from my application..
yingying2888,
i think you dont have to worry too much abt your photo la. im sure they will look at your other aspects like working experiences. Also, im pretty sure you will receive some email from them next week, be it an interview scheduled for you this dec07 Or the walk-in interview on 27th jan 2008.
so gal, fret less okie? =)

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 1:17 pm

rine_85 wrote:Hi Venie and Pacificgal, do SIA perform reference checks on ur previous employers before asking u to sign the letter of contract?
wasn't very sure... coz they din mention anything abt it.
Soaring above all

rine_85
Regular
Regular

Post by rine_85 » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 1:19 pm

So we do not have to provide any details den..
VeniE wrote:
rine_85 wrote:Hi Venie and Pacificgal, do SIA perform reference checks on ur previous employers before asking u to sign the letter of contract?

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 1:19 pm

xmischax wrote:and congrats, venie! really happy for you! was told by other older members of the forum. your perseverance paid off! :D
thanks thanks... wha..becoming superstar le.. keke...
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Soaring above all

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 1:22 pm

rine_85 wrote:So we do not have to provide any details den..
VeniE wrote:
actually i only received my letter of acceptance.. sign le den post back.. they will den get back to you to ask you go down with a surety(guarantor) to sign the deed.

if they were to do reference check, that should have been done before giving you the letter of acceptance isn't it??
Last edited by VeniE on Sat, 22 Dec 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soaring above all

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 1:27 pm

Maximus_miranda wrote:
VeniE wrote:Maximus..

so have you started ya training???

great tips :p
Not yet my friend, will be starting on the 1st of Feb! Hey, read a lot about you! Really really admire your perseverance! Good for ya gurl!
Like what you said:
When there's a will, there's a way! :D

is your first attempt??
Soaring above all

Maximus_miranda

Post by Maximus_miranda » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 2:08 pm

VeniE wrote:
Maximus_miranda wrote:
VeniE wrote:Maximus..

so have you started ya training???

great tips :p
Not yet my friend, will be starting on the 1st of Feb! Hey, read a lot about you! Really really admire your perseverance! Good for ya gurl!
Like what you said:
When there's a will, there's a way! :D

is your first attempt??
Hello children! Venie, this is in fact my 1st and a hlaf time! Why? Cos the first time I went, which was a year ago, I hadn't collected my diploma cert. I went using my O'levels, which they did indicate on the newspapers. But after getting through the primary interview with the 10 candidates, they mention that I can't get through any further without my dip. I told them I'll only be able to collect it about 4 months later, and they told me to come back then.....a little disappointed, but its ok ah.....

Now get through can already!

PS. rine_85, think it'll always be better if you list a few reference. Cos if they actually asked, then it's best to provide, instead of them saying that we don't know how to follow simple instructions right?

I'm sure your former employers will have nothing but good stuff to mention wor... :D
www.tiratira.sg
Singapore's first customization online store where the final looks of all our products are designed by the customer! Free shipping worldwide!

snowss
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowss » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 3:52 pm

i believe the reference check thingy is kinda like heng suay if they DO call up ur reference :-#

ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Re: Hope this helps...

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 8:52 pm

Maximus_miranda wrote:Dear friends, my name is Maximus, 25, male. I went for the walk-in on the 1st of Dec. All rounds of interview including the management were actually conducted on the day itself at the Sheraton Hotel. Think it was because I was one of the earlier batches (reached at 9.15....a bit kiasu....but my sister bugged me up from my bed! :x ).

Thankfully, I managed to pass all rounds and was advised to follow-up on a medical screening a couple days later and also to promptly arrive at the STC at a given date to attend a Pre-Employment Briefing. These series of events took place in the span of a week.

Today, I finally received their call and I am being accepted as a crew! Can't describe how ecstatic I'm feeling right now noh!

Anyways, enough of myself. Reason why I wrote this is to give my gratitude to all of you here. This may be my first post, but it definitely isn't my first visit to this thread.

For the 20 days that I sat and waited for the call, my mind was nearly loosened to the max and I couldn't get on with my life in a normal functional way. But upon arriving at this forum, I realized there are a lot more people like me in this similar predicament- Unstable and freaking out! Hee!

Ok, this is what I've analyze so far. Hope that the info may enlighten a few kind souls out there ya!

-My skin is not perfect and when I say its not perfect, I'm not exactly very good-looking. I applied a little concealer (yes yes...laugh at me... :roll: ) on the day of the walk-in. Simple reason, you've only got one day and one chance to show them what you've got. Why be afraid of mocking from other participants? They are not the interviewers and as much as I care, if they were to put in a little more effort (instead of doing unnecessary staring) into making others feel comfortable around them, I believe they'll be able to do the same to the interviewers and also our future customers!
Bottomline is for those who upon arriving, feel tense just because you think others are staring at you ( it's really irritating! Makes you feel as though my face like still dare to show up!), do your best to calm yourself down. Recite some prayers or even talk to yourself! ( yes...yes...laugh at me again....but it works can!)

-Comfortable. That is a word you want to keep flying around your head. If you were to meet someone for the first time, how would you judge (c'mon lah, don't tell mi you don't judge ok!) that someone? What are his actions that actually pisses you off or makes you feel extremely comfortable around him/her? Try to look around. We walk on the streets and everyday, we see so many different people. Some attracts our attention in a nice way, but some just have this freaking "Kiam Pa!" face can! So take some time to just observe different human behaviors. Don't worry, to proceed into the initial first round, you'll be sitting in a room for at least 2 hours filled with other candidates. Take your time to look around ya!

Appearance, Speech and Posture- Basically, dress well. But don't over-do it. It's not a wet-market, but it's also not meeting the president! Just go Shenton Way and have a look.
We're Asians, so don't speak with a freaking accent like you're born with it! Speak fluently but minus the lah, leh and lohs.
Slight hand gestures are good to comprehend your speech. Keep it within your body width. Practice using your keyboard, just like typing. If you can type, you can gesture. It provides the visual whilst your interviewers are listening to you. Better than staring at your teeth or for my case, my belt! (I don't know why! Thought I didn't zip or something!)
When seated, guys, don't fold legs! Very important! Girls, don't slouch!

Ok, just to conclude (cos I think it quite wordy can!), after everything, if you are a healthy young lady or gentleman, once you manage to clear the management round, the skies are yours.
Why I say so? Cos the doctor who checked me said that when I get accepted, I can come back to the same clinic treatment for my acne skin treatment and the company will pay for it.

See, you have to do your part to package yourself into something that SIA will be confident in grooming, otherwise, why would they spend more than S$10,000 to train very single candidate?

Last but not least, don't try to impress. Be yourself. If you think that you're not up for it, don't even try to go for the interview and disappoint yourself. When you take that first step to go for the interview, YOU YOURSELF is confident enough! It's not a personality test, it's an amazing employment you're trying to get. So do your best and GET IT!

PS. Oh ya, it'll be an advantage to read up on the company's recent events and news. During the interviews, you will stand out if you can compliment you own life experience's with SIA's.
etc. I was asked," What do you think is a flight steward's job scope? Most people will say to serve and help the customers.
This is what I said," As an employee of a certain organization, I'm there to attend to my duty as a customer service ambassador of Singapore Airlines. Also, as and when I'm doning my uniform, any situations that may or may require my assistance in order for the daily operations to go on smoothly, I will be there to render it, may it be soothing a crying child to repairing a broken toilet.

Good luck to all of you! This forum has provided everyone with the key. It's time for you to turn the knob and open the door, and for this case, the door to the world.

I wish for nothing but good health and forever happiness to all of you and your love ones. Take care and god bless!

Maximus

Hi Maximus,

your thread will definitely help up all the lost souls here (like me)..

Congra to you to get in.. follow this forum and you will be updated for those are going to be your colleagues..hopefully is myself lol

cheers.. :oops:

ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:01 pm

snowss wrote:I have told myself tat i would not put too much hope into it....

Coze I have always believed tat: If something is meant to be urs...it will be urs one day, even if u throw it away it will come back to u eventually.
If it wasn't meant to be, no matter how u keep it...one day it will be gone..

SO>>whether if I'll get it...fate decides. But nonetheless, i'll still try for it :)

"If something is meant to be urs...it will be urs one day, even if u throw it away it will come back to u eventually.
If it wasn't meant to be, no matter how u keep it...one day it will be gone.."

[-X [-X not good not good..this words cant applied here..i always read this kind of similar thingy in a article about love.. u cant applied here la snowss..come on..cheer up..

i copy a word from maximus..When there's a will, there's a way!

make up your mind, and get it.. gambateh..let me study more japanese words and cheer u up in the other way..

ben-yng
Regular
Regular

Re: Dreams..

Post by ben-yng » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:02 pm

gladys_lopez wrote:
ben-yng wrote:
gladys_lopez wrote: Hehe.. me went for Japanese classes today. Really hope it'll help.

Gan batte kudasai! :D
how dare you!! shd inform earlier and gather ppl here before u go ma.. kick u out from the boat~~
Aiya.. Last min thingy. Went to learn from a CC near my house, very cheap, only $65 for 12 lessons.

Should consider going to CCs to learn as it is much cheaper and convenient. Some of the students in my class are recommended by friends and travel from Seng Kang all the way to Jurong to learn. My teacher is quite good! :)

Don't throw me down though i can try to float with my lifejacket (pretend only) hehe.. Gan Batte everybody!! :D

which CC u r in?