Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
trinkflasche

some little contribution

Post by trinkflasche » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 3:53 pm

hello :D

Emirates do not employ married women, not even if they are already separated. Country law.

Regarding the SIA recruitment, I've read some of the postings and perhaps can shed some light for some of you who're interested in this job.

SIA recruiment drive
1. first selection: group presentation -- you'll definitely be selected based on your general appearance and your linguistic skills.

2. second selection: 1 to 1 interview -- judging your "seriousness" whether you're really interested and sincere about the job. If you think about it, this round helps you to think through whether you really want to be a cabin crew. I think many people do not realise what the job entails.

3. third selection: (a) water confidence test -- jump 4 m into a 4 m deep pool, you will need to assure the interviewers that in times of emergency, you must be competent and able to help other passengers. (b) the catwalk (unofficial) your body shape is judged at this point. too skinny, too unproportionate, tattoos will be scrutinized, (c) kebaya round -- they are looking for poise, confidence, decorum, smiles (yes, never stop smiling!) and posture. While you are waiting at the waiting room, please do not make too much criticisms, comments on others (either SIA staff or your personal friends or fellow interviewees) just a tip, it shows how you will behave when you DO eventually get selected into SIA cabin crew.

4. Last round of selection: management interview. A panel of 2 to 3 interviewers will ask you questions pertaining to EVERYTHING. your resume is scrutinized and be truthful about your replies.

5. VERY last round of selection: a medical test :)

this is the selection process. Basically, they are looking for people who can continue smiling after a long flight. Somebody creative, has initiative, a team player and able to maintain poise and being beautiful.

Its a very tough job. tolerance, patience, alertness, efficiency is all part of the job.

and the final cut off age is 28. They go by BMI so your weight divided by the square of your height must be between 18 to 25.

the sudden increase in recruitment at this time... well, its the end of financial year, usually people quit after getting their bonuses in april. More importantly, the SIA fleet is expanding :)

DISCLAIMER: all information here is for your reference only. It must not be taken as concrete and accurate instructions for the SIA cabin crew selection. Readers must know that SIA do make changes to their interview process. This information posted must not be taken to SIA or any government body of law as evidence and so on.

thank you

trinkflasche

add ons

Post by trinkflasche » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 4:03 pm

Sorry, I forgot the crucial bits and tips.

speak well, good English. Be careful of your lah and lors.

bring a pen, there are forms to be filled up.

do not be late for the interview, time management is CRUCIAL.

wear corporate clothings. Long pants, skirts, blouses, shirts, even a jacket. this will show that you respect the company.

think through why you want to leave your present job.

think through why you want to join sia.

be sure about the job scope of a cabin crew.

read up about the latest information about SIA. destinations and types of planes etc.

have good make up on. good doesn't mean you're acting in the chinese opera.

be polite. be friendly. be tactful. be supportive. interact with care.

at the tea party, if possible, speak to everybody, including the management. if you're lucky, sometimes they do not have the tea party.

the waiting time is usually quite long. eat something before you attend the interview. stomach growlings are not very attractive.

if you're a smoker, be careful about how you smell. if you put on perfume, do not intoxicate the entire room.

that's all for now. Hope my input helped.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:38 pm

I was again surfing around and this is what I got from someone's blog.

DAY 1 (Saturday for girls, Sunday for guys if it's interview @ STC)

1st Round:
Mass Interview in groups of 10. Do a self intro about yourself. This is usually the question. The answers do not matter much, but they are looking more at your posture. So please please MAINTAIN eye contact.. and KEEP smiling! Keep your answers short and simple!

2nd Round:
One to one interview. Some might get a passage to read, which includes a few profound English words which requires you to pronounce it properly. Interviewer will try to find out more about your family background.. your current job.. past customer service experience. Same thing, MAINTAIN eye contact and flash your million dollar smile at the interviewer as much as possible!

DAY 2 (Usually less than a week after 1st round of interview)

3rd round (Only applicable to girls):
Kebaya Fitting! You are to look for your own kebaya size and try them on, then do a sashay up to the interviewer for assessment. Please do take note of your walking posture! Here they will also check your body for any visible scars and tattoos when you are wearing the kebaya. The hands and shoulder blades are the more important areas. This is the KILLER round! Got info from my friend that only 33 out of 64 girls survived this round to move on to the next round when she went for this. So girls.. breathe in and tuck in your stomach till they have finished accessing you

4th Round:
Psychometric Test. Around 100 questions or more done on a computer platform. There's no right or wrong answer. They want to find out about your character, so please do not think before answering. The first answer you look at will probably be the one which describes you most. Will give you lots of characteristics, some of these may sound profound but there's a reference with meanings to some of the more profound words.
Example: Extrovert (Rate 1 to 5 with 1 being least and 5 being most)

5th Round:
Swimming test. For those who have tattoos, please DO NOT attempt to cover up with tattoo concealer. If your tattoo is around the waist area, you can choose to wear a swimming suit to cover up the area.
You will line up in a row and walk towards the interviewer who will access your body for scars and tatoos. They will ask you to show your hands (front/back) and turn your body around. The more important areas are your face, neck, and hands. Also take note of your body posture when you walk towards the interviewer.
After that, you will do a confidence jump from 1.5m high and swim 1 lap to the other side. Life jackets will be provided and all are to use. Swim with your face up using backstroke. Even if you do not know how to swim, kick for all you are worth and get to the other side.

After that you will go for a shower and wait at Room C for your results. If you got through, you will go to the auditorium for a briefing on final interview.

Day 3

6th Round:
Final Interview! The moment you have been waiting for. Trust me, you will be really tensed up during this interview. It's either a make it or break it session. There will be a panel of 2 interviewers, usually it's Vice President of Cabin Crew Department Mr William Koh and Head of Cabin Crew Planning Miss Cheng Suan. Both very nice and friendly people. This interview will be similar to your 2nd round interview on the 1st day, where they will ask you questions to find out if you are really keen on the job and to find out more about you.

The usual questions are:
Self introduction, Family Background, Job Experience, What do you see yourself doing 10 years down the road --> which your standard answer should be "I hope to see myself as a leading steward/stewardess" etc.

If you get through this, you will be asked to stay for the Tea Party.

7th Round:
If you think you have already gotten through, then you are wrong. The tea party session is actually the FIINAL round of the interview where they will ask you to stand around in a semi circle and talk to you casually. If they specifically target questions at you, it means they are still considering if they should let you in. Please do not take this round lightly, you will cry if you got kicked out here. Just be friendly and answer their questions properly. I've heard of people getting kicked out here before, so once again, do not take this lightly.

Day 4

8th Round:
Medical Review. Haha.. usually they will ask you to go down straightaway after your final interview if you got through. Medical Centre's at Shaw House, Orchard where a doctor trained in aviation medicine will access you. There will be height and weight measurement, urine test, eyesight test before the doctor checks your body. After which you are to proceed down to Orchard Buliding (California Fitness Centre @ Somerset) for your X-Ray at another clinic. Unless you have medical history, else you shouldn't have any problems getting through this. Medical results will be out around a week later, then they will inform you of your training commencement date. So those who are currently working, once you have received your training date, then you can make arrangements to tender your resignation. A week before, you will be required to go down to STC again to sign a 5-year bond with them with a guarantor (usually your parent). Although it's a 5-year bond, you are free to leave after 22 months (26 months for Malaysians).
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 3:00 am

trinkflasche and Singaporegrrl,
Excellent posts nice to see some information worth reading. Singaporegrrl, personally think you should be aiming higher than a stewardess.

Best wishes to you both.

Plavt.

insight

Post by insight » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 8:51 pm

louisv wrote:How is the Mangement interview and the tea party conducted?
Hi,
I've got thr the management rnd on 24 mar. Only 4/12 being selected. It's very rare. The interviewers were quite strict as i saw many potential girls being kicked out. Some already has the 'SQ' look! Though i tink the interviwers are very strict, but they are very nice ppl. They created a comfortable environment & showed great interest in my answers. They asked me over 10 questions and i tink u must not take a long time in answering them, bec it shows ur sincerity and honesty! They can tell straight if you are lying or not. So juz relax while speaking.

As for the tea party, the 4 of us stood in a cirle with the interviwers and of course one of them was like observing us from head to the toe, while the other one was speaking. ha ha! A bit tensed up... It's about 15 mins. Juz mind ur behaviour, the way u stand, talk, and ask ques. Also personal grooming is esp important too. After that, they went into the room again and discussed who's gg to be eliminated again. But luckily, we all got thr!!

Insight

prince

Post by prince » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:44 am

insight wrote:
Hi,
I've got thr the management rnd on 24 mar. Only 4/12 being selected. It's very rare. The interviewers were quite strict as i saw many potential girls being kicked out. Some already has the 'SQ' look! Though i tink the interviwers are very strict, but they are very nice ppl. They created a comfortable environment & showed great interest in my answers. They asked me over 10 questions and i tink u must not take a long time in answering them, bec it shows ur sincerity and honesty! They can tell straight if you are lying or not. So juz relax while speaking.

As for the tea party, the 4 of us stood in a cirle with the interviwers and of course one of them was like observing us from head to the toe, while the other one was speaking. ha ha! A bit tensed up... It's about 15 mins. Juz mind ur behaviour, the way u stand, talk, and ask ques. Also personal grooming is esp important too. After that, they went into the room again and discussed who's gg to be eliminated again. But luckily, we all got thr!!

Insight
congratulations! welcome to the family. :)

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blancD » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 1:08 am

i have a friend who went for SIA's recruitment drive last year. She did not make it through the management interview. She told me she has a little problem in her pronounciation and is grammatically poor. In fact she was given a second chance in 2nd round of interview, and was told to buck up her grammar. Just a note to all, SIA is really particular about your proficiency in the language!
"City of Ang3Ls"

Ginx

Post by Ginx » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 1:16 am

Hi, just wondering, what is the most number of tries one can have the courage to go up till.

When i was at STC last year, a staff there who was chatting with the girls while we were waiting for our 2nd interview, told us about a girl who only got in after 14 attempts. And celebrity Kym Ng, was successful only after 9 tries.

14 times is not easy.. given that SIA conduct approximately 4 rounds of recruitment every year, it would have been 3.5 years.

Ginx

Post by Ginx » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 1:20 am

Congratulations insight~ :D

Can I know what kind of questions were being asked during your mgmt round and tea party?

Even though the candidates who were eliminated during this round have the SQ look, what do you think were lacking in them that caused them to be eliminated?

thanks loads!

ryanstarr
Regular
Regular

United Airlines

Post by ryanstarr » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:20 pm

Plavt wrote:Funny how nobody has anything good to say about United Airlines even the pilots I have met here in London say they don't think much of their employer - says it all.

Plavt.
I hear from a recruitment ad in Saturday's Paper that UA is setting up a flight attendant training base here in Singapore. So we dun have to travel to the US of America. I'm thinking of applying for the regional flight attendant post. :)
Last edited by ryanstarr on Mon, 27 Mar 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

vivi
Regular
Regular

Re: United Airlines

Post by vivi » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:30 pm

ryanstarr wrote:
Plavt wrote:Funny how nobody has anything good to say about United Airlines even the pilots I have met here in London say they don't think much of their employer - says it all.

Plavt.
I hear from a recruitment ad in Saturday's Paper that UA is setting up a flight attendant training base here in Singapore. So we dun have to travel to to the US of America. I'm applying for the regional flight attendant post. :)
Hi, they are re-opening their base here. Even in the past, the FA are all based here. Application for the regional FA is closed already. Try again next time. They are already in the midst of interviewing. :wink:

cheers
vivi

insight

Post by insight » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 1:37 pm

Ginx wrote:Congratulations insight~ :D

Can I know what kind of questions were being asked during your mgmt round and tea party?

Even though the candidates who were eliminated during this round have the SQ look, what do you think were lacking in them that caused them to be eliminated?

thanks loads!
Thanks Ginx! Alright, all the ques being asked were trying to focus almost exclusively on ur personal qualities, whether u r wat the airline looking for. No situations ques for me, but do expect them. There are no definite right or wrong ans, try to ans them from the airline's point of view, and show them that u r genuine. The way u express ur ans is also v important. Speaking in a flat or monotonous way will not impress them. Besides speaking fluently, u got to speak enthusiastically with most of the time, having eye-contact with the interviwers. Most of the ques i would say are not really difficult. If u r really keen to be an air stewardess, of course u will take the initiatives to find out what's the role of a cabin crew. yup, this was one of the ques being asked frequently. Also y do u want to be a cabin crew?? It is crucial you consider this question both from your own, and the airline’s perspective. If for example all you want is travel, and you cannot convince your interviewers that you would enjoy looking after their passengers & be part of their team, then you are gg to lose out. From my past experiences, hw do i handle difficult customers? Any complaints? State examples. These are personal experiences and if u r one who understand good customer services and ur customers are always satisfied with ur service, then u should know hw to ans.... The rest u gotta do some homework gal! :)

Tips: What u gonna ans, backup with examples. Bec thr my answers, they asked another lists of questions!

Well, for the gals whom din make it, i would say some have the looks (looks only play a small part), and thr conversation, i think they hv no problems with their english. So i guess the interviewers looked into personalities and sincerity!

Alright Ginx, Hopefully this might help!

Insight :wink:

insight

Post by insight » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 1:42 pm

prince wrote:
insight wrote:
Hi,

Insight
congratulations! welcome to the family. :)
Thanks Prince! I still have my medical examinations to pass.. hee... :D

ryanstarr
Regular
Regular

Re: United Airlines

Post by ryanstarr » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 3:40 pm

vivi wrote:
ryanstarr wrote:

Plavt.
I hear from a recruitment ad in Saturday's Paper that UA is setting up a flight attendant training base here in Singapore. So we dun have to travel to to the US of America. I'm applying for the regional flight attendant post. :)
Hi, they are re-opening their base here. Even in the past, the FA are all based here. Application for the regional FA is closed already. Try again next time. They are already in the midst of interviewing. :wink:

cheers
vivi
Oh dear...thanks then. :(
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 4:02 pm

ryanstarr,
Don't want to put you off applying but hope you have given a lot of thought to your application as there will be an enormous cultural difference, some of which may come as a shock. Although maybe that's one of the reasons you chose to apply in the first place. Should be young enough and have the abilites you would at least get the possible oppurtunity of becoming a pilot, which it seems is an unlikely prospect with SIA. There are other things I could mention but not here for the moment. Take good care of yourself.

Plavt.