Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 1:26 am

Juzzy wrote:Hi M!

Oic... Btw, how long will they take to reply u? will it be immmediately after the deadline or will they take the longest time? i heard that it is possible for them to call u a day before the interview in case of some shortlisted people not able to make it and they have an extra slot....
It will probably take a week from the deadline, and if i didn't remember wrongly, on both occassions, it was on the week itself, like Monday of that week which the interview was supposed to be held? A day before not possible but probably the latest like 2-3 days before?

And usually the girls will receive the invites first, followed by the boys. Hope this clear your doubts a bit!

M :cool:

Juzzy

Post by Juzzy » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 1:45 am

Thank you M!

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: my experience

Post by Plavt » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:31 am

cheese wrote:Just to share..im 20 this yr..& have tried 2 times for FSS interview..proud to say that both times im lucky to get into the final interview (management interview) but also, sad to say that both times i didnt make it thru the final..(bang my head on the wall) :???: frens say i have the typical FSS look but i find that no matter how good a person look & how well she presented herself, it all depends on the management decision to shortlist u or not.. :o so i guess wat we need r lots & lots of luck & don't stop smiling..most importantly, pray hard that the management ppl like u..
:D
If at first you don't succeed try, try again as you are doing, as I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum, there is more than one girl and maybe man who tried six or seven times (at least one person even more so I am told). Try to recall the final interview and discuss it with friends or better still a serving FSS. Best wishes to you and don't give in.

cheese

Re: my experience

Post by cheese » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:09 am

Vinegar wrote:
cheese wrote:Just to share..im 20 this yr..& have tried 2 times for FSS interview..proud to say that both times im lucky to get into the final interview (management interview) but also, sad to say that both times i didnt make it thru the final..(bang my head on the wall) :???: frens say i have the typical FSS look but i find that no matter how good a person look & how well she presented herself, it all depends on the management decision to shortlist u or not.. :o so i guess wat we need r lots & lots of luck & don't stop smiling..most importantly, pray hard that the management ppl like u..
:D
Did they tell you why aren't you selected? You are really lucky to reach the final interview. Give it a third try, find out what exactly they are looking for in you. I also know that after all, it depends on your luck, whether they like you.
Just send in my application letter, pray hard im selected for the interview. :?
Vineger, Nope. No reason given & i didn't ask too. :(

Shopaholic,
oh theres still interview going on now? hmm..ur interview is with SQ rite?
ya i was really depressed cuz its TWICE but i didn't give up hope.
during ur final, u have to catch the management ppl attention. try to talk abt urself more...u can actually judge...if the management ppl keep questioning u, congrats, ur chances of getting in r higher..as for me..they only ask me few question :? ...

allez

Re: sia cabin crew

Post by allez » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:32 pm

pookie wrote:hi gals,
just a piece of advice.
just be natural, be yourself.
try not to be nervous (i know its hard, but...just try)

as for the application, just give whatever they ask for, be it photo, application form etc...just follow instructions and send before the dateline.

goodluck from someone who is a sq cabin crew.
hi. i want to find out a little bit more on the culture at SIA (esp. training center). i read from the earlier posts that people from other divisions (like pilots and station managers) perceive the cabin crew as stand-offish. i certainly do not want to be arrogant and act proud when i am not (just to fit in). pookie, could you advice on this? is this true? and all the stories about 'scandals' abroad with the stewards??? i think a lot of this is causing some concern for aspiring applicants like myself. thanks!

samsoh

Any guy apply?

Post by samsoh » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 1:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm a guy 27 years old. I'm not very tall, only 169 cm lean fit.
My first time to apply SIA steward.
Anyone mind to share do i stand a chance to be shortlisted? I mean for the first round interview?

You all mentioned about 3 rounds of interview?
Is conduct on the same day/ same week or else?
Wht is the normal procedure. Pls share with me. Thankz.
Happy go Lucky

june12

Re: sia cabin crew

Post by june12 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 1:53 pm

allez wrote:
pookie wrote:hi gals,
just a piece of advice.
just be natural, be yourself.
try not to be nervous (i know its hard, but...just try)

as for the application, just give whatever they ask for, be it photo, application form etc...just follow instructions and send before the dateline.

goodluck from someone who is a sq cabin crew.
hi. i want to find out a little bit more on the culture at SIA (esp. training center). i read from the earlier posts that people from other divisions (like pilots and station managers) perceive the cabin crew as stand-offish. i certainly do not want to be arrogant and act proud when i am not (just to fit in). pookie, could you advice on this? is this true? and all the stories about 'scandals' abroad with the stewards??? i think a lot of this is causing some concern for aspiring applicants like myself. thanks!
hihi. am flying for about 1 year now. and i do agree that in general most cabin crew at STC are rather stand-offish. (even from the perspective of a FSS), especially the girls. i am not sure why too. maybe its the way it has been all the while? i had some course mates who would always bitch about how 'bad' the guys at STC are, but then always keeping their eyes peeled for guys that come in their flashy cars. duh. im not sure about the other cabin crew folks, but i am quite open to talking to others and it is always good to know other people in the various posts (like u mentioned pilots and station managers), cos these are the people that would make it much more pleasant on your next flight out. as to the scandals, it really depends on the individual. there have been stories but it's all about your character and upbringing. i must admit some girls do get 'wild' out of singapore but there are others who stay in or just go out for simple dinner etc...don't worry, just go ahead and apply!!!

silvercat

Interview rd 2

Post by silvercat » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 3:35 pm

Hi,
anyone out there could help me with these qns??
1. when will the body check be carried out? Before the swimming or after?
2. Will we be in swimwear or the kebaya?
3. From the prev msg, i found out that there will be a little parade towards the interviewer. But how close up would the interviewer examine as from?
Thanks

Vinegar

Re: Interview rd 2

Post by Vinegar » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:24 pm

silvercat wrote:Hi,
3. From the prev msg, i found out that there will be a little parade towards the interviewer. But how close up would the interviewer examine as from?
Thanks
Hi Silvercat,

From what i understand from my friend as an air stewardess is:
1. body check is before the water test, when you are dress in your kebaya
2. In your Kebaya
3. It all depends on the batch, some batches, the inspector will ask u to do catwalk. But there will be a beatician checking on your complexion, just 2 feet away! isnt that scary?

I have just send in my application letter for the first time. getting ganjiong already. I dont have flawless complexion :( Hope some facial will help. Girl, just give it a try. After all its all about luck also.

cheese

Post by cheese » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks
Hi silvercat,
Hope my ans will clear ur queries.
1. body checks are carried out before swimming
2. body checks are carried out twice. on when u r wearing uniform & when wearing swimwear.
3. they stand face to face, which means v close, to examine ur face & body. :)

JessyKa

Post by JessyKa » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 1:25 am

Can an ITE graduate and shorter than 1.58m apply to be a Cabin Crew? :oops:

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 8:52 am

JessyKa wrote:Can an ITE graduate and shorter than 1.58m apply to be a Cabin Crew? :oops:
Hi JessyKa,

Nope if you are talking abt SQ, but mayb if you are trying for Silkair.. you can try apply for Silkair @ www.silkair.com.
If you are 156-157, mayb still gt chance.

tinkerbelle

complexion checks

Post by tinkerbelle » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 9:25 am

im not sure if the silkair interview is similar to the SQ one. Anyway, Ive had 2 skin checks. Once during fitting, where u walk up to 2 interviewers (1 cabin crew supervisor and a HR exec) who will make small talk with you..scrutinize your skin and teeth whilst you smile and speak. The distance between me and them was probably 3/4 or an an arm's length away.

Before taking a dip in the pool, there will be another round of skin check where you walk up to 3 interviewers standing at midpoint (along the side of the pool). You'll have to stop in front of them, turn your body one round and let them do a full scrutiny from head to toe. All 3 will be scribbling away furiously whilst u stand there, grinning like an idiot in awkward silence.

If thats not enough, watch out for another 2 interviewers who wun be further than a few feet away from the 3, eyes on you making your way past them to the simulator, checking the way u walk. Remember to give them a big SMILE when u sashay past..

Hope the above helps!

miss lala

Re: complexion checks

Post by miss lala » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:11 am

omg seems like they really scrutinise you! but what if u have a scar at let's say, your thigh or knee? It would be covered during the kebaya fitting but exposed during the swimming test? Wouldn't that affect your chances again?

Any idea if the full-length photograph should be taken in formal dressing (corporate attire) or will something casual but presentable do?

silvercat

Post by silvercat » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:55 pm

Vinegar wrote:
Thanks
Hi Silvercat,

From what i understand from my friend as an air stewardess is:
1. body check is before the water test, when you are dress in your kebaya
2. In your Kebaya
3. It all depends on the batch, some batches, the inspector will ask u to do catwalk. But there will be a beatician checking on your complexion, just 2 feet away! isnt that scary?

I have just send in my application letter for the first time. getting ganjiong already. I dont have flawless complexion :( Hope some facial will help. Girl, just give it a try. After all its all about luck also.
Thanks for all your replies.
Yup, i just send in my application by post this morning. I dont have flawless complexion too. Dont know when will i get my reply, if any there will be. Best of luck to you all too.
Cheerios