Singapore Expats

The reality of being an SQ GAL

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 9:02 pm

dawny wrote:. In the west (North America and European countries in particular), cabin crews can be anywhere close to a retirement age!! I am sad to see that despite the burgeoning economic development in the west, the airlines fail to see the importance of a cabin crew's image.
Airline images are not considered that important by most westerners since as far as we are concerned it is just a means of transport. As regards ages, the law is different here; the UK has no upper age limit for most jobs, women cannot be given different contracts on the basis of sex or be told they may not become pregnant (contravention of sex equality act). In addition women have to be allowed maternity leave some of which on full pay. Asia should live in the 21st century instead of the 19th.

papercut

Post by papercut » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 9:30 pm

dawny wrote:Hi girls, as a cabin crew myself, I would like to contribute some say from my part.
)

However, considering the pay and the hours that we put in, I honestly do not think that this is the creme de la creme job. There are so many other jobs that entails travelling and learning as you go along. The career ladder in the airline industry is somewhat not as flexible and you would like it to be.

Just my 2 cents worth of comments. Hope it wont offend anyone.

By the way, I do feel the elegance of being a cabin crew magnified only in Asian countries. In the west (North America and European countries in particular), cabin crews can be anywhere close to a retirement age!! I am sad to see that despite the burgeoning economic development in the west, the airlines fail to see the importance of a cabin crew's image.

Do anyone of you feel the same way? Does fellow flyers feel that their innate mentality of the elegance and beauty protrayed being a crew somewhat a little reduced by looking at the airline industry as a whole globally?
what jobs are those you mentioned?

dawny

Post by dawny » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 9:30 pm

Plavt wrote:
dawny wrote:. In the west (North America and European countries in particular), cabin crews can be anywhere close to a retirement age!! I am sad to see that despite the burgeoning economic development in the west, the airlines fail to see the importance of a cabin crew's image.
Airline images are not considered that important by most westerners since as far as we are concerned it is just a means of transport. As regards ages, the law is different here; the UK has no upper age limit for most jobs, women cannot be given different contracts on the basis of sex or be told they may not become pregnant (contravention of sex equality act). In addition women have to be allowed maternity leave some of which on full pay. Asia should live in the 21st century instead of the 19th.

Thanks Plavt for your comments. You have a valid point that equality is exemplified and regard highly in the 21st century developed countries.

My point is, putting it into an airline context, the role played by the airline industry as a means of transport is becoming a common day goods and as such, the job as a cabin crew have been downplayed..

Do you feel that way?
Believe in your dreams! Define-Refine them.

dawny

Post by dawny » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 9:41 pm

papercut wrote:
dawny wrote:Hi girls, as a cabin crew myself, I would like to contribute some say from my part.
)

However, considering the pay and the hours that we put in, I honestly do not think that this is the creme de la creme job. There are so many other jobs that entails travelling and learning as you go along. The career ladder in the airline industry is somewhat not as flexible and you would like it to be.

Just my 2 cents worth of comments. Hope it wont offend anyone.

By the way, I do feel the elegance of being a cabin crew magnified only in Asian countries. In the west (North America and European countries in particular), cabin crews can be anywhere close to a retirement age!! I am sad to see that despite the burgeoning economic development in the west, the airlines fail to see the importance of a cabin crew's image.

Do anyone of you feel the same way? Does fellow flyers feel that their innate mentality of the elegance and beauty protrayed being a crew somewhat a little reduced by looking at the airline industry as a whole globally?
what jobs are those you mentioned?
Hi papercut,

Singapore's workforce is at one of its prime right now, there are many industries that are booming, one good example is its financial sectors. property sectors were booming last year.

The recent report on the newspaper shows the that unemployment rate is at its lowest now and industries are operating at its optimum capacity.

Jobs related in those industries will have good prospects. It really depends on your interests and qualifications pertaining to it.

As for fellow flyers, as much as I am positive spirited in my job scope, I am trying to see things from a realistic point of view.

Cheers! :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:12 pm

dawny wrote:
My point is, putting it into an airline context, the role played by the airline industry as a means of transport is becoming a common day goods and as such, the job as a cabin crew have been downplayed..

Do you feel that way?
I think you have a point; one thing I do notice is people don't appreciate the work the crew do or consider their working lives. A common attitude is 'they are just waiters/waitresses in the sky.' This is of course terribly unfair when cabin crew work the hours they do across different time zones amongst myriad personalities of passengers and fellow crew not too mention the different cultures encountered. People seldom realize the whole purpose of having flight attendants is for safety, airlines are not obliged to provide the services they do, that is just a marketing ploy.

Yes I agree the job has been downplayed by both the public and the in part by the imagery of various airlines.

dawny

Post by dawny » Fri, 18 Jan 2008 4:15 pm

Plavt wrote:
dawny wrote:

Do you feel that way?
I think you have a point; one thing I do notice is people don't appreciate the work the crew do or consider their working lives. A common attitude is 'they are just waiters/waitresses in the sky.' This is of course terribly unfair when cabin crew work the hours they do across different time zones amongst myriad personalities of passengers and fellow crew not too mention the different cultures encountered. People seldom realize the whole purpose of having flight attendants is for safety, airlines are not obliged to provide the services they do, that is just a marketing ploy.

Yes I agree the job has been downplayed by both the public and the in part by the imagery of various airlines.
Yes so right! So, flyers wannabe! Hope you guys are prepared if you really want this for real. Anyhow, I would still give a thumbs up for hanging on for a year of two coz the experiences is really not what a ground job could expose you to.

Its like opening your eyes up!

twinkling

Post by twinkling » Sat, 19 Jan 2008 4:27 am

i agree with dawny. flying is a very good experience to have. i have to say, only you can make yourself feel better about the job lah. i have to admit, after flying for less than a year, i've already gotten tired of the job, and seriously thought of quitting after my bond ended. (no im not with sq) i'd always have the mindset of "oh im just a maid/waitress technically that's all", which is not the best thinking one should have. but thinking back, despite the downsides of flying (what with, meeting not-so-wonderful seniors and not-so-wonderful pax), i actually enjoy the job, though i'd hate to admit it; it's especially when you know you've done your job well when your pax are comfortable and happy, that satisfaction is really, priceless. thus i may stay longer in the airline industry than i would want to originally.

i guess it's important to be open-minded and have a big heart and just really, persevere. the start of any jobs is never always a bed of roses. (:

chica86

SIA cabin crew gal

Post by chica86 » Sat, 19 Jan 2008 8:17 pm

oh, please..anyone could share more about training?
I love reading your experiences..they inspires me..although sometimes
scare me:-p

I hope my medical check ups will be fine cos i can't wait to start training!
I believe I can FLY!!

sweetheroin

Re: SIA cabin crew gal

Post by sweetheroin » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 4:49 pm

chica86 wrote:oh, please..anyone could share more about training?

i'm not in SQ but i think my SEP/first aid training was one experience that a lot can identify with.

SEP is VERY fun because you get exposed to many things you probably never thought about previously. you start seeing the world differently, you suddenly remember to fasten your seat belts in the car because you know the consequences if there were an accident. if your batch mates are fun, it's a lot of laughter, bonding, and clubbing outings together =P

but be warned, SEP is a very serious matter that cannot be taken lightly. my trainer really zapped a few of my batch mates. to make things worse! the trainer is ex-SQ and ex-Silkair (aka, from zappy environments) and it was very obvious she chooses who to zap and who to be damn nice to. it was all about sucking up. i don't know who your trainer will be, hopefully you don't get the same breed as mine!!!

then first aid was quite challenging too, i believe H will be training you all. he trained us, and we were given HELL during CPR!!! but he is an excellent first aid trainer and outside training he is a very nice 'uncle', hahaha (:

i think training is a great experience, and you shouldn't be nervous about it, because you haven't embarked on your SNY or solos YET! enjoy training while you can, babe!

Edit by Plavt:Please be very careful about naming airline staff members should they see they see their names here it could result in legal action against singaporeexpats.

ihateveg

Re: SIA cabin crew gal

Post by ihateveg » Sat, 26 Jan 2008 1:47 am

sweetheroin wrote:
chica86 wrote:oh, please..anyone could share more about training?

i'm not in SQ but i think my SEP/first aid training was one experience that a lot can identify with.

SEP is VERY fun because you get exposed to many things you probably never thought about previously. you start seeing the world differently, you suddenly remember to fasten your seat belts in the car because you know the consequences if there were an accident. if your batch mates are fun, it's a lot of laughter, bonding, and clubbing outings together =P

but be warned, SEP is a very serious matter that cannot be taken lightly. my trainer really zapped a few of my batch mates. to make things worse! the trainer is ex-SQ and ex-Silkair (aka, from zappy environments) and it was very obvious she chooses who to zap and who to be damn nice to. it was all about sucking up. i don't know who your trainer will be, hopefully you don't get the same breed as mine!!!

then first aid was quite challenging too, i believe H will be training you all. he trained us, and we were given HELL during CPR!!! but he is an excellent first aid trainer and outside training he is a very nice 'uncle', hahaha (:

i think training is a great experience, and you shouldn't be nervous about it, because you haven't embarked on your SNY or solos YET! enjoy training while you can, babe!
haha i remember H he was so fierce, he made two of my batch mates cry! but can't deny that he's excellent as a first aid trainer.

Edited by Plavt

chica86

The reality of being an SQ gal

Post by chica86 » Sat, 26 Jan 2008 2:21 pm

Oh, thank u so much sweetheroin:-)
so, if not SQ, which airline are u in?

Yeah, not being arrogant but I'll cnsider myself as a tough girl..
cos even if I'm not tough as I think I am, when I keep thinking and believing that I'm tough, then smehow it can easily become true..:-)

I guess we can find 'zapping' in almost all work places..but I never been zapped be4, so maybe I'll just get prepared..hehe

Well, I am nervous cos I've read in dis forum that people do get kicked out in training.. that's why if possible I'd like to know as much as I can be4 i go training..
I believe I can FLY!!

sweetheroin

Re: The reality of being an SQ gal

Post by sweetheroin » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 1:09 am

chica86 wrote:Oh, thank u so much sweetheroin:-)
so, if not SQ, which airline are u in?

Yeah, not being arrogant but I'll cnsider myself as a tough girl..
cos even if I'm not tough as I think I am, when I keep thinking and believing that I'm tough, then smehow it can easily become true..:-)

I guess we can find 'zapping' in almost all work places..but I never been zapped be4, so maybe I'll just get prepared..hehe

Well, I am nervous cos I've read in dis forum that people do get kicked out in training.. that's why if possible I'd like to know as much as I can be4 i go training..

OOPS i shouldnt have mentioned first aid trainer's name, tho my intention wasnt to defame or anything =P noted though!

im in a budget airline..dont really wanna talk a lot about it, not much to comment abt... our training probably isnt as intensive as SQ's though. in terms of the service part. SEP is never something you should compromise so i guess you'll be getting it as tough as all of us have!

no need to be too tough, be yourself and just make sure you pay attention at all times, no one will zap you then! i remember i did fall asleep every now and then during training cuz had to wake up so early for it, hahaha. thats my mistake and i got zapped for not remembering certain stuff later on. so top up on the coffee and get a lot of rest!!

chica86

Post by chica86 » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:19 pm

haha..don't worry, i like coffee :twisted:
thanks a lot for the info anyway,,
I'm still waiting for their call for training, guess it's another 1 month++ to go....
I believe I can FLY!!

chica86

Post by chica86 » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:39 am

Hi, all..I got a question here and wud be very very grateful if anyone in SQ cud answer..

Is it forbidden to smoke during training? Even if we only smoke in
our room, not during training time like 8-5pm?

I believe I can FLY!!

nafnaf

Post by nafnaf » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 5:07 pm

hey its ok to smoke during training...you will have teabreaks every now and then and all smokers will smoke outside