Singapore Expats

Furniture Donation Collection

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
sgnyc65
Regular
Regular

Furniture Donation Collection

Post by sgnyc65 » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 7:39 am

We've got 2 pieces of furniture to donate - a tv stand and an Ikea bookshelf. We scheduled a pick-up with Salvation, but they didn't take them b/c of a minor scratch on the tv stand and a baby proofing cushion on the bottom of the bookshelf. The bookshelf is less than a year old.

In the US, the SA takes everything no matter what. A needy family, will not care as long as it's usuable so it baffles me that Salvation Army Singapore would refuse a donation when it's being "donated!" Anyways, wondering if there are any other places that can come collect donated pieces of furniture. I am not sure why I need to fill out a description for "Pass It On" - it's a free piece of furniture that can be used as needed.

Other than SA and Pass it On, is there anywhere else that can come collect? I would hate to see these pieces go to waste.

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 9:05 am

You haven't been here during Chinese New Year during a good economy have you? Whole entire Living Room Suites get tossed out by the rubbish tip and new bought for CNY. Furniture has little resale value unless it solid wood, e.g. teak or antique. Anything from IKEA has little enough value to start with that nobody will spend money to hire a vehicle to come pick it up.

What you can do it put outside and place a For Sale sign on it then leave it unattended overnight. It'll be gone by morning. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Tue, 10 Aug 2010 5:09 pm

I have been in the same situation. I wanted to donate all my baby stuff (cot, walker, unused electric breast pumps, sterilisers, monitors the whole lot), I did a brief costing and it was at least $2.5k worth of items, all well looked after with the boxes as I always bought the high-end models of everything.
I posted here for some charities but I received no response from 2 of them and the SA said they were only interested in cash donations!
However it is comforting to see that Singapore is doing very well and subsistance charity is not really called for.
In the end one of the readers of this forum who was expecting came and I gave everything to them instead.

MrsW

Recycle!

Post by MrsW » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:12 am

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SgFreecycle/

Try this group, I have given away plenty of stuff on this site.