Singapore Expats

Baby pick up sing accent at pre school

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Crystalchi1207

Baby pick up sing accent at pre school

Post by Crystalchi1207 » Fri, 07 Apr 2017 1:09 pm

Hi everyone,

We are planning to move Singapore end of June this year. Agent shows us a cluster house near Beauty World MRT station with an Eton house pre-school close to it. Agent told us that's a very local area. I am worried if so baby will learn the local accent very quick if her classmates are all very local. What do you think or any experience can share?

Cheers,
Crystal
Last edited by Crystalchi1207 on Fri, 07 Apr 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Baby pick up sing accent at pre school

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 07 Apr 2017 1:24 pm

Got local accent meh?

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 07 Apr 2017 1:39 pm

Do you want local accent or not? If yes, send your baby to local school. If no, send your baby to International School because local Singaporean kids cannot attend international school beyond pre-school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 08 Apr 2017 12:35 am

Crystalchi1207 wrote:I am worried if so baby will learn the local accent very quick if her classmates are all very local. What do you think or any experience can share?
No need to be worried. At all.

As long as you speak 'standard English' at home your child will develop both accents as if they were parallel languages. It will be an amazing experience.

We went through the exact same thing, and our child would seamlessly switch between speaking Singlish and plain English depending on the situation. As long as you can provide exposure to both, your child will soak up those language skills like a sponge.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 08 Apr 2017 10:41 am

^^^I concur. My children went entirely through the local school system (and they were also born here). Today they are 28 & 33 and both switch seamlessly between the local vernacular and proper English (or at least the American version of proper). Add to that, the ability to speak in Mandarin as well and you have a winner!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Crystalchi1207

Post by Crystalchi1207 » Sat, 08 Apr 2017 9:05 pm

Thank you all . That's very useful!!!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 10 Apr 2017 11:26 am

Both of my kids picked up the Singaporean accent at a very early age from the playground in our condo.

Both speak proper English to my wife and I and their native english speaking school mates, while speaking with a Singaporean accent to their Singaporean friends.

The daughter of an American friend has the same ability with 'American English' vs. 'British English' after living in the UK for a couple of years.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:32 am

brian_singapore wrote:Both of my kids picked up the Singaporean accent at a very early age from the playground in our condo.

Both speak proper English to my wife and I and their native english speaking school mates, while speaking with a Singaporean accent to their Singaporean friends.

The daughter of an American friend has the same ability with 'American English' vs. 'British English' after living in the UK for a couple of years.
Add to that your live-in helpers accent and they come out all confused :???:

For my child: no accent, raised in USA, moved to SG at around K age, international K & international P school now. Really tries hard to get the Singlish down but just cannot lah

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:54 am

American wrote: For my child: no accent, raised in USA, moved to SG at around K age, international K & international P school now. Really tries hard to get the Singlish down but just cannot lah
Most would tell you they have an American (?) accent. Not no accent. :D

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 8:04 pm

brian_singapore wrote:The daughter of an American friend has the same ability with 'American English' vs. 'British English' after living in the UK for a couple of years.
You mean 'American English' vs 'English'?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 10:34 pm

DrScrumMaster wrote:
brian_singapore wrote:The daughter of an American friend has the same ability with 'American English' vs. 'British English' after living in the UK for a couple of years.
Is that Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Cockney or Received Pronunciation when you say English. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Thu, 13 Apr 2017 9:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
DrScrumMaster wrote:
Is that Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Cockney or Received Pronunciation when you say English. :lol:
All of the above, except Scouse.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Apr 2017 5:13 pm

:lol: :lol: