Singapore Expats

Finding someone to collect child from pre school?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Expatmumanddad

Finding someone to collect child from pre school?

Post by Expatmumanddad » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 9:59 am

Hi we're new to singapore and have struggled to figure out how parents can work without getting a full time live in maid (which is really just not for us)

We've found our son a pre school place which finishes at 2pm mon-wed in order for my wife to do some part time work however she is required to work till 3:30!

Are there helpers or a service that could collect our child and entertain him (take to a cafe or park) for 1.5 hours while my wife finishes? A bit like employing a part time cleaner on an hourly rate?

Would an agency be any use? I guess it works out about 6 hrs a week?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:06 pm

Does your wife have the proper work permit to do part time work? I ask as you said you were expats here and I've never heard of an expat being given an employment pass/work permit to work part time. You may have a bigger problem than your children if she is working illegally here. :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Finding someone to collect child from pre school?

Post by JR8 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:15 pm

Expatmumanddad wrote:Hi we're new to singapore and have struggled to figure out how parents can work without getting a full time live in maid (which is really just not for us)

We've found our son a pre school place which finishes at 2pm mon-wed in order for my wife to do some part time work however she is required to work till 3:30!

Are there helpers or a service that could collect our child and entertain him (take to a cafe or park) for 1.5 hours while my wife finishes? A bit like employing a part time cleaner on an hourly rate?

Would an agency be any use? I guess it works out about 6 hrs a week?

Thanks
Does the establishment have an after-hours club/creche? This matter must be a common enough problem for there to be a solution.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:52 pm

Probably not what you want to hear but I think most of us just give up and get a maid. :)

I would love to ditch having a live-in maid but it would cause us countless scheduling problems with the kids so it is what it is for now.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 2:34 pm

I know a few people who have LOC for part time.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 3:36 pm

Choose another child care centre - some are open until 6pm or even later!
Or, in our case, my mother in law picked up the daughter and entertained her until we came back from work (which was very late) - but I realize not everyone has this option.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 8:03 pm

Don't send your wife out to work P/T for a pittance.