Singapore Expats

Getting to know thee is not as easy as 123

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
DaisyRae
Regular
Regular

Getting to know thee is not as easy as 123

Post by DaisyRae » Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:09 pm

I noticed that there are a lot of group meets in this forum and it's nice that people are interested to hang out with one another. But for a person like me, I find it awkward to be in a large group of strangers. I'm a shy person and it's not easy for me to be the 'life of the party' right away - if ever.

I'd like to ask those who have gone to the forum gatherings how it was like for them to meet and mingle with new people. Was the experience difficult or naturally easy for you? How'd you manage it?

I don't really mean for this to sound like a therapy session.. Just curious as to how people overcome the awkward stage of getting to know each other.

Any opinions??
Hindsight is always 20/20.

valeriusonline
Regular
Regular

Post by valeriusonline » Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:39 pm

hahaha..

well..
it's a lil bit awkward in the beginning..
but it's okay..
coz that's normal..

as for me..
first i get to know one or two people..
then meet them for lunch or so..

if you feel comfortable talkin with em..
then hit the paaaaaarty together.. :D

well..
you should try..
it's FUN! :D

cinder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cinder » Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:25 pm

i joined some of the forum gathering regularly years back, and went to couple of them last year. i've found it pretty easy, even though i am no social butterfly either. you just show up, introduce yourself to the host, get your drink, start conversation with a person next to you or join any group conversation, and that's it. even if you are a shy person, surely somebody will talk to you or let you join the group conversation. if worry being awkward stopping you to join the group, worry not, as people generally are very friendly there.

however, stretching the topic bit further, i've found it very difficult to grow a friendship from the group. you meet large number of people with various interests, background and intentions, it's a slim chance you will grow a friendship on the first five or ten meet ups (some of the WNDCs are regulars for.. six years at least??).. added to that, people (including you) are in and out the group due to their own commitment, make it more difficult to grow the connection.

having said that, i've met three of my now girl friends through similar group to FNDC six years ago (WNDC has been established, but most of us were busy bees those days..) we had even a wedding from our meet ups. but that's it. after that group, it has been a struggle.

i might say the forum gathering is perfect for meeting people to do something together on that particular time. if you have time to commit, enrolling yourself to a group with commitment, such as dance class, wine tasting class, dragon boating team etc. may bring bigger chances to meet people with whom closer friendships can be grown.

navin.bafna

Post by navin.bafna » Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:41 pm

I completely agree with all the comments above.

It mostly depends upon how would you like to go further with people you meet. According to my personal experience, people hesitate to share phone numbers and that is which sometimes become a deterrent as you don't know whether the same group of people would be meeting next time or not.

So, I always prefer to share my contact number with people (ofcourse if they want to) and also you need to be bit open also.. :)
Navin