Singapore Expats

Learn to shuck oysters anyone?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
bittersweet.

Learn to shuck oysters anyone?

Post by bittersweet. » Fri, 16 Nov 2018 10:57 pm

I chanced upon this meetup group that has an oyster shucking session next friday 24th Nov.. It's $35 for a dozen oysters included. Seems like an interesting event.. anybody wants to go?

https://www.meetup.com/weloveoysters/events/256374980/

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Learn to shuck oysters anyone?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Nov 2018 4:17 am

Highway robbery for the oysters. Learning to shuck them? You can learn off the internet. I've been shucking since I was probably 13 or 14 years old and have several Chesapeake Bay Oyster knives just for that purpose (I'm 71 now). There are several methods that can be used. But what I would do, if you are a noob, is to go to a good kitchen/cooking supply store or buy off the internet, a pair or single kelvar glove just for that purpose so you don't slip and run the oyster knife into the hand holding the oyster. Just my advice (I've not done that, but I've seen it done during oyster shucking contests.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers