Singapore Expats Forum

How to find a serious relationship online?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Post Reply
joey22
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 7:25 pm

How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by joey22 » Wed, 27 Apr 2016 7:40 pm

This sounds bad, but I am 25 and have never dated before. The problem is I lack confidence and meeting someone directly for a date makes me nervous.I want a serious relationship and thus skeptical about online dating as well. What do you guys think? Any other way to connect and know people?

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 27 Apr 2016 8:56 pm

go to dance classes, music classes, hobbies, meet up clubs they are usually places where you can interact with the opposite sex, i'm not really sure about apps like Tinder or ok cupid tbh.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:38 am

Agreed. Meet people via shared interests and activities. That gives you 'all the time in the world'.
Then you realise the entirely hopeless false-promise of blind dating.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9384
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 7:13 am

Joey will soon paste some links and this is going to end his relationship with this board, at least under his or her current username.
Alternatively, another newbie user will emerge posting a link or a name of an online dating site.

Moderator

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 9:17 am

That's the last time I give dating advice to a bot!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9384
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 9:31 am

Bots may benefit, this one, I don't think is a bot but who knows.
OP posted from a New Delhi network but we normally don't check the IP of every single newbie's post. The subject rises some red flags but also the fact that not so long ago there was this thread:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=110905

Here, it was a bit more tricky, the OP posted from SG, but the immediate response was already from India.

Getting more interested also to see how desperate they get to have some reference posted.

Moderator

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 9:37 am

Maybe modus operandi is to post from various places to not invoke suspicion?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by bro75 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:48 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:That's the last time I give dating advice to a bot!
Bots have rights too. And they also need to be loved.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 2:26 pm

bro75 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:That's the last time I give dating advice to a bot!
Bots have rights too. And they also need to be loved.
anyone remember using Yahoo chat? and the number of bots that used to appear on them?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 2:56 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:That's the last time I give dating advice to a bot!
Damn, you just got botted! :lol: Oh hang on, I did too :oops:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 3:05 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:anyone remember using Yahoo chat? and the number of bots that used to appear on them?
Does anyone else remember before the web, the pre-cursor to it of 'newsgroups', and specifically 'soc.culture.singapore' [around '94]

That was patrolled by what were referred to as PAP-bots. Ensuring the party line was er ... enforced on the then newfangled internet. It was pretty damned funny as you could spot them a mile off, like wind-up white-suited Stepford Wives set loose vs normal people... >

'I beg to disagree fervently with your assertion. If you look at page 223 of the latest Minstry of XYZ's annual presentation to ABC you'll find the Happiness Index amonsgt citizens reached a new high in 199x. Indeed and in fact according the the International Herald Tribune, Singapore is the happiest country on earth'.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 01 May 2016 5:33 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
bro75 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:That's the last time I give dating advice to a bot!
Bots have rights too. And they also need to be loved.
anyone remember using Yahoo chat? and the number of bots that used to appear on them?
I remember using Yahoo webcams and those adult chatrooms looking for live porn, on my office network, we used to work nightshifts then, lol. It was 2003/2004. These days, getting porn is so much easier.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 01 May 2016 10:07 pm

Wd40 wrote: I remember using Yahoo webcams and those adult chatrooms looking for live porn, on my office network, we used to work nightshifts then, lol. It was 2003/2004. These days, getting porn is so much easier.
Those were the days when being on web cam didn't translate to scams or threats... the world was safer then I guess.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: RE: Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 01 May 2016 11:10 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote: I remember using Yahoo webcams and those adult chatrooms looking for live porn, on my office network, we used to work nightshifts then, lol. It was 2003/2004. These days, getting porn is so much easier.
Those were the days when being on web cam didn't translate to scams or threats... the world was safer then I guess.
Yeah, those were early days of the web, I never bothered so much about privacy etc those days, I would register in forums using my real name and didnt think that I could be tracked down. But now, need to be very careful, in Singapore especially so. Small country, everybody knows everybody.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35888
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: How to find a serious relationship online?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jul 2019 8:51 pm

MikkeyUr wrote:
Wed, 03 Jul 2019 8:02 pm
joey22 wrote:
Wed, 27 Apr 2016 7:40 pm
This sounds bad, but I am 25 and have never dated before. The problem is I lack confidence and meeting someone directly for a date makes me nervous.I want a serious relationship and thus skeptical about online dating as well. What do you guys think? Any other way to connect and know people?
Dude, I'm 30 years old, and until I was 28, I had no relationship at all.
Posting on a Singapore Forum from a UK ISP, I think I know why.....

moderator

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Events, Gatherings, Making Friends”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests