Singapore Expats Forum

flight with cat in cabin

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences
User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:46 am

ecureilx wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JR8 wrote:Funny you ask. I'm in a med induced torpor these days, so that could have been my father who reported that one, though we both flew the airline and route.

He has more stories of taking sheep on board and stuff (he maxed out on Middle East routes). I've more stories of public sex and projectile vomiting over several rows of people (Asia/Americas).

What's your forte of weird in-flight experience?
I have a few (although a little off-topic):

My colleague falling down the stairs, p*ssed, on a 744 after trying to drink as much champagne possible on a day flight from Aus to SG.

The same colleague missing a BKK-LHR flight after booking the wrong date - he booked a Wednesday flight leaving BKK at 12.30am, but turned up at the airport on Wednesday evening - thinking it was a midnight flight - to be told his flight had left almost 24 hours earlier. He had to buy a another ticket....
And a bit off topic : Try beating this ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... thers.html

(the smaller plane lost it's CoG when all the panicked pax ran helter skelter, says the final crash report .. )
And people complain about cats being on board!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6854
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:04 am

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
nakatago wrote: That would be really awesome but citation needed!
+1, I checked the googles too and nothing surface out in a 5 min search.
I guess zzm9890 forgot to mention that the exemption is when the Abhu Dhabi Royal Family has the whole plane to themselves .. like the times they go shopping ;)

or did zzm9980 mix it up with the Royal Falcon Airlines - a private jet operator in UAE ?? :D

PS: in related note .. Sheik Al Maktoum of Dubai has one 747 kitted out just to ferry his race horses ..
I didn't mix up anything, I simply quoted Beppi. I also tried a 20 second Google search and found nothing, but then I'm not surprised. I suspect the kinds of passengers flying F out of Abu Dhabi that actually own hawks and want to fly with them can probably do mostly whatever the frack they want.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:11 am

zzm9980 wrote:I didn't mix up anything, I simply quoted Beppi. I also tried a 20 second Google search and found nothing, but then I'm not surprised. I suspect the kinds of passengers flying F out of Abu Dhabi that actually own hawks and want to fly with them can probably do mostly whatever the frack they want.
sorry for the mis-quote :(

Yah, in the ME, Miracles do happen ..

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:20 am
Location: The Mainland....

Post by nutnut » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:59 am

Mi Amigo wrote:Oh right, yeah.

Sorry nut²
haha, I'm a rational person with an irrational fear, I know this kind of thing happens from time to time, I know it rarely leads to anything too bad, reading it really doesn't phase me at all, it's just when I get on the plane, totally irrational.

One thing that would put me on edge is a passenger bringing a cat on to the plane, I mean really? WTF? The fact that you have it in your house is bad enough in my opinion (but totally up to you!), but, seriously, why should I have to share a cabin with an animal (considered vermin in the wild due to the diseases they carry) that will likely crap in the bag in the aircraft? I won't be flying Lufthansa if I can help it! Weirdos!
nutnut

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 1:16 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
JR8 wrote:I've seen some pretty funky stuff going on in plane cabins*, but I can't recall EVER seeing a person taking a pet as accompanied baggage.

* An example that jumps to mind is Syrian Airways, and passengers kneeling in the aisles pumping little brass kerosene ('camping type') stoves in order to make tea! :shock:
Did you really see that happen? I've heard many stories of such a thing, but always thought they were apocryphal. The stove would be handy to cook the packed lunch though.
that a plane caught fire because people decided to light up a portable cooker is a real story, I think it was some hajj charter ..

So was for us, when my then boss handled Hajj Charters, pre- 9/11, we had to remove anything and everything that can be used to start a fire on board .. as the pilots and crew had strict instructions on not allowing anything flameable ..

Likewise, we also had case of passengers checking in 30 KG for flights, and the hand luggage was more than 50 KG :D wonder what will happen to the Weight and Balance .. ;)
nutnut wrote:One thing that would put me on edge is a passenger bringing a cat on to the plane, I mean really? WTF? The fact that you have it in your house is bad enough in my opinion (but totally up to you!), but, seriously, why should I have to share a cabin with an animal (considered vermin in the wild due to the diseases they carry) that will likely crap in the bag in the aircraft? I won't be flying Lufthansa if I can help it! Weirdos!
Vermin ? Where do Guinea Pigs fit in then ? :D I had a tough time convincing a colleague of mine that while in Singapore Rabbits are pets, in my country, we breed them for meat, and in South America, (Peru ?) so do they breed Guinea Pigs .. for meat :)

As does a neighbouring country where dogs are fattened for food - by the poor ..

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:20 am
Location: The Mainland....

Post by nutnut » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 2:03 pm

guinea pigs are rodents. They also stink.
nutnut

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9379
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 2:17 pm

BillyB wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
BillyB wrote: I have a few (although a little off-topic):

My colleague falling down the stairs, p*ssed, on a 744 after trying to drink as much champagne possible on a day flight from Aus to SG.

The same colleague missing a BKK-LHR flight after booking the wrong date - he booked a Wednesday flight leaving BKK at 12.30am, but turned up at the airport on Wednesday evening - thinking it was a midnight flight - to be told his flight had left almost 24 hours earlier. He had to buy a another ticket....
And a bit off topic : Try beating this ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... thers.html

(the smaller plane lost it's CoG when all the panicked pax ran helter skelter, says the final crash report .. )
And people complain about cats being on board!
One rodent and 3 cats like this one can destabilize any plane.

Image

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8335
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Post by nakatago » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 3:13 pm

I can't believe no one has brought this up yet:

"I'm tired of these motherf***ing snakes on this motherf***ing plane"

Image

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 3:43 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You need to plug an Ambien or two into your cat if you are going to do this (Or vet recommended sedative... strong!). Otherwise, Beppi is correct and I shall hate you for the entire. flight.

And since almost all flights are two legs, be prepared to shoot up your cat for the second leg.

They don't like flying in cages. Ask me how I know.
I will plug something into it and I think its called a dynamite!!!
Zeenit

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: flight with cat in cabin

Post by Zeenit » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 3:46 pm

Sorry, I have a lots of questions... but I'll be alone with the cat during the trip as my husband is already in Singapore and I'd like to do at my best for our animal! Thanks for your answers.[/quote]

I just noticed that the OP husband did not want to look like a big fool so he left for Singapore beforehand so not to look like an idiot with cat in hand boarding the flight. Even he did not want to travel with the CAT!! :o :o :o :o
Zeenit

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:15 am
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Post by beppi » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 4:14 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
beppi wrote: Etihad allows first class passengers to carry two hawks each in the cabin.
That's awesome :lol:
That would be really awesome but citation needed!
http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/Etih ... ments.aspx
(No mention of the First Class only - though that transpired when I flew with them last.

handels
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by handels » Sat, 03 Nov 2012 6:24 pm

I am bringing my cat from the US to Singapore in December in cabin on United. Most US carriers allow pets in cabin unless the destination prohibits it (like Hawaii).

Cats really don't enjoy flying (or any kind of stressful situation), but the FAA reports on pets in cargo is a little concerning, so I bring my cat in-cabin if we are relocating and driving isn't possible.

It is a concern that passengers will have a severe allergy, but most people with dander allergies luckily don't have more than mild discomfort. Keeping the animal confined at all times helps with this as they aren't spreading their fur all over the place. I also always ask my neighbors if they have an issue and so far haven't caused any problems. Looks like only about 2-3% of people are allergic to cats (http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=30) so not too bad odds that we won't annoy the other passengers.

Also, for anyone else doing long-haul with a cat, I bring a portable litterbox in carry-on. I also bring a small pop-up tent. At layovers, pop-up tent and put cat in with litter box. My cat is a champ and will make immediate use of the box with no fuss. YMMV. I've also done this in the plane lavatory on really long flights (put box on floor, put cat in box, cat does business, put cat in carrier).

Also, don't feed the cat within 2 hours of take-off. I once ignored this advice because I thought I knew best and the cat vomited immediately upon take-off. Gross.

I think people are on flights with pets all the time and never notice, but it only takes a few morons to spoil it for everyone. If you fly with a pet, please be considerate of the other passengers!

handels
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by handels » Sat, 03 Nov 2012 6:43 pm

I see now that I actually did a fairly terrible job at responding to the original question.
Has anybody of you taken a cat in the cabin and if so, how did you handle everything (at the airport, check-in and control, water, etc.)
It seems that my cat has to stay only 10 days in the quarantine station (we've already began the vaccination and all the procedure). Landing is in the afternoon - do you know if the cat is brought to the quarantine station the same day or does she have to stay till the next day in Changi?
Carriers - can buy at any pet store. Get a soft one that fits Lufthansa's guidelines (they smoosh under the seats better and are lighter to carry). Or try Amazon.de.

Check-in - book cat reservation, pay fee, notify check-in agent, sometimes get a little tag for the carrier from agent.

Customs - have to take cat out of carrier to go through x-ray (duh), put blanket over him if he's skittish, or put a leash on if he's prone to run. Put carrier on belt, walk through metal detector, get carrier, put cat back in carrier, continue on your way.

Water - bring small bottle and bowl, offer to cat at layover. Cats are sometimes too freaked to eat or drink, which is ok, just make sure cat eats every 24 hours. Wet food is helpful as it's 80% water, so two birds with one stone.

Quarantine - I've read that animals arriving before noon go same day, others wait until following noon transfer. Not sure if this is really the case. I need to check into this myself.

Paperwork - do NOT mess with Singapore regulations. Do exactly what they ask to the letter or you will likely wish you had. Have all original signed papers with all requirements fulfilled precisely as described. Seriously, they really follow the rules here and will not be pleased if you do not. I cannot stress this enough.

MISC - do not sedate your cat unless he is a total monster. It's not safe or recommended by AVMA or the airlines. Do not mess with your cat while he's on the plane. Cats sleep 16 hours a day. Let him settle down and rest. He may complain during take-off/descent like babies do, as the pressure change annoys him. Let him complain a little then he will calm down on his own. You will likely be more upset than he is. My cat is a spoiled, whiny little sucker but when animals are stressed it's best to let them cope on their own rather than trying all manner of tactics to calm them which will likely be counterproductive. Depends on the cat of course, but what makes you feel better may not make him feel better.

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Sat, 03 Nov 2012 6:51 pm

handels wrote:I am bringing my cat from the US to Singapore in December in cabin on United. Most US carriers allow pets in cabin unless the destination prohibits it (like Hawaii).

Cats really don't enjoy flying (or any kind of stressful situation), but the FAA reports on pets in cargo is a little concerning, so I bring my cat in-cabin if we are relocating and driving isn't possible.

It is a concern that passengers will have a severe allergy, but most people with dander allergies luckily don't have more than mild discomfort. Keeping the animal confined at all times helps with this as they aren't spreading their fur all over the place. I also always ask my neighbors if they have an issue and so far haven't caused any problems. Looks like only about 2-3% of people are allergic to cats (http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=30) so not too bad odds that we won't annoy the other passengers.

Also, for anyone else doing long-haul with a cat, I bring a portable litterbox in carry-on. I also bring a small pop-up tent. At layovers, pop-up tent and put cat in with litter box. My cat is a champ and will make immediate use of the box with no fuss. YMMV. I've also done this in the plane lavatory on really long flights (put box on floor, put cat in box, cat does business, put cat in carrier).

Also, don't feed the cat within 2 hours of take-off. I once ignored this advice because I thought I knew best and the cat vomited immediately upon take-off. Gross.

I think people are on flights with pets all the time and never notice, but it only takes a few morons to spoil it for everyone. If you fly with a pet, please be considerate of the other passengers!
WEll you see I am very allergic to Dander and its now at the point where if a cat had been there I need to get to A&E asap. But I am sure once I explain to Singapore Air ( only airline) i use what bad publicity it will get if the plane needed to get back to Changi they will make sure the plane will never carry cats.

I again dont care how stressed your stupid cat is, but you best get serious insurance that someone like me is not on the flight or the flight after that as I will sue you and make sure you never put anyone thru what I will have to endue and hopefully dont die on the flight!!
And I am serious about how serious my allergy is But we must not forget about your stupid cat!!!
Zeenit

handels
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by handels » Sat, 03 Nov 2012 6:56 pm

WEll you see I am very allergic to Dander and its now at the point where if a cat had been there I need to get to A&E asap. But I am sure once I explain to Singapore Air ( only airline) i use what bad publicity it will get if the plane needed to get back to Changi they will make sure the plane will never carry cats.

I again dont care how stressed your stupid cat is, but you best get serious insurance that someone like me is not on the flight or the flight after that as I will sue you and make sure you never put anyone thru what I will have to endue and hopefully dont die on the flight!!
And I am serious about how serious my allergy is But we must not forget about your stupid cat!!!
Hopefully you would just notify the airline when you booked your ticket and they would rightly prevent any animals from being booked on the same flight. Easy for them and sounds like it would save you quite a bit of trouble

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest