Singapore Expats

I wonder..

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Norwegian

I wonder..

Post by Norwegian » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:28 am

Hey everyone! I'm moving to singapore early in September month, and I was wondering where where to hang out? If there for example is a field in the neighborhood that I could walk to, and join someone for a game basketball, rugby, american football or something.. I'm moving to district 22, that's all I know, near the Chinese Garden I think! is this a good place for a international boy like me?
I was also wondering what kind of sportclubs that is near by? I don't seem to manage to find any information about it on the internet, so I'm kind of stuck!
My questions might be a little unreasonable, and hard to answer, but I would be very thankful for the person who try..

- Me -

PhantomX

Re: I wonder..

Post by PhantomX » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:43 am

Norwegian wrote:Hey everyone! I'm moving to singapore early in September month, and I was wondering where where to hang out? If there for example is a field in the neighborhood that I could walk to, and join someone for a game basketball, rugby, american football or something.. I'm moving to district 22, that's all I know, near the Chinese Garden I think! is this a good place for a international boy like me?
I was also wondering what kind of sportclubs that is near by? I don't seem to manage to find any information about it on the internet, so I'm kind of stuck!
My questions might be a little unreasonable, and hard to answer, but I would be very thankful for the person who try..

- Me -

Contrary to popular misconception there are lots of open spaces like fields etc to unwind and relax
The place that you are going to stay at is quickly accessible to many recreational spots :D
X

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 8:02 pm

ahh, thanks dude! =D do you know if there are lots of international guys there aswell? or is it quite a local area?

- Me -

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Re: I wonder..

Post by CAT777 » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 9:32 am

Norwegian wrote:Hey everyone! I'm moving to singapore early in September month, and I was wondering where where to hang out? If there for example is a field in the neighborhood that I could walk to, and join someone for a game basketball, rugby, american football or something.. I'm moving to district 22, that's all I know, near the Chinese Garden I think! is this a good place for a international boy like me?

- Me -
I used to live smwhere near to CGarden and i found this area is very local...even the condo i used to live in were inhabited mostly by local families and expat community over there was very small...they have some community clubs for locals (actually everyone can join but i dunt think that expats are interested)...
Anyway Singapore is a small island and i'm sure you can find sportclub smwhere around...but let's say nearest gym club-Fitness Fiirst i went to is 25 mn away on MRT from CGarden or 20 mn on a taxi, which is may be quiet far...
but striktly speaking west of Singapore is not so convenient place for young expats
Сингапурский котенок

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:00 am

used to live there? did ya transfer to a different place then, or did ya move from Singapore? do you have any places u can recommend? a good place for a young student to meet some other international ppl? cuz I've read a bit about the locals, that they aren't that interested in gettin to know us from another side of the world..

- Me -

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Post by CAT777 » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 1:26 pm

Norwegian wrote:used to live there? did ya transfer to a different place then, or did ya move from Singapore? do you have any places u can recommend? a good place for a young student to meet some other international ppl? cuz I've read a bit about the locals, that they aren't that interested in gettin to know us from another side of the world..

- Me -
I changed couple of places since i moved to sg, currently i'm staying near to Holland Village...I'm working in the West (which is even more far to West from CG),...so i chose the place which is smwhere in the middle (btw my work and downtown area).
First of all the place to stay must be near to yr Uni..Is yr Uni in clemeni area? Then you can choose vicinity of HolLand Village also, but try to find smth in a walking distance to Buona Vista or Dover MRT.
Anyway yr place must be in vicinity of MRT or bus stop, from where you can directly go to Uni
Secondly...it also depends on how long are you going to stay here...if only for couple of months then btr to put up near to centre so that every day u can enjoy yr short stay here...

Thirdly it's very easy to make int'l friends in Singapore and it doesn't matter where you live...especially if you are student..u can meet ppl in yr Uni from all over th world.....and dunt be scared of local ppl...may be most of them are not so open to foreigners and smtimes behave themselves like kids ( i mean 30 yrs s'porean looks and behave like 18 yrs old)...But in general they are quiet good and friendly ppl
Сингапурский котенок

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 5:45 pm

ahh, thank you very much, Sir! I'm glad I got some information about the place that I'm going to stay.. Dunno for how long.. but at least a year.. ! then we'll se, how much I enjoy living there..! :) just hope that i'm not the only foreigner in that area.. but then again, as u said, it's a small island, so it can't be that hard to find some1 if they're there..! thanks again!

- Me -

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 2:32 pm

If you would be in university , you won't need so much time to get to know new people, foreigners and local as you prefer. For sport activities, universities already provide a lot of possibilities : swimming pool, gym, tennis courts, squash and so on. You will probably have access to all of it. I live in Clementi which is 2 stops to Chinese Garden. Expat population is low compared to city center, but rents are cheaper. As long as you are close to the MRT, don't bother too much about the location.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:01 pm

ohh, thanks! =) that sounds good! i think I'll go to school down there.. but I'm in high school, so would happend to know anything about that? are there any good schools near by perhaps? international of course..'? and now that I'm already logged on, could some1 please tell me what "expat / expats" means? is it like a exchange student or something? just wanna know for sure.. thanks again Murat!

- Me -

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Tue, 14 Aug 2007 8:51 am

Expat term is used for professionals working abroad. Some companies offer positions overseas and if they accept the terms and conditions, they relocate to this new location to work for a certain time. Many members here are expats coming from different countries and working in Singapore. And many of them like me, will relocate to a new destination when the work here comes to an end.

On the other hand, I can't help you about high school. Perhaps you should wait for some replies from the locals.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:58 pm

ahh, almost got it though.. knew it had something to do with moving abroad.. but now I know for sure.. so thanks! and yeah, I'll wait and see if i'll get some response from sombody who knows..! but thanks for the info!

- Me -

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:13 pm

hey, by the way! if some1 could answer these questions aswell now that ur here, i'd be very thankful!
1. how old do u have to be for the driver licence? car and motorcycle?
2. what is the drinking age there (alcohol) ?
and the weather, i've been wondering about it all summer! does it rain every day there, but just for like ten minutes, and very much? is it hot there, like in spain, greece and those places?
I'd be very thankful if you'd took some time and explain this for me..

- Me - :D

MacD

Post by MacD » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 4:03 am

:lol:
Last edited by MacD on Thu, 23 Aug 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 6:56 am

ahh, thanks man! so u will be travelling to singa in december? for how long? on vacation or as an expat / exhangestudent? are u looking forward to your stay? i'm not quite sure if i should be excited or nervous.. a little bit of both maybe..

MacD

Post by MacD » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 6:59 am

I'll be opening my own business in Singapore. You should look forward to living it in Singapore a nice place to live and everything is convenient and clean. It is really up to my standard of living and people there are friendly.

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”