Singapore Expats

Relocating to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mialee77

Relocating to Singapore

Post by mialee77 » Thu, 18 Apr 2019 6:07 pm

Hi!

I live in Melbourne, Australia, and will be moving to Singapore in a few months time. I'm freaking out because I have a unit full of furniture and am unsure as to how i can move everything over..

1) I considered just throwing the stuff out and buying brand new furniture in Singapore. But some items (e.g. bed, bookshelf) have been with me for years and i really can't bear to throw them away like that.

2) Shipping is a possibility but i'm unsure which companies i should choose. Have asked a few, but they seem pretty pricey and i'm not sure if i can trust their service standards. I've read a lot of moving horror stories and i don't want anything to be broken or mouldy when i arrive!!

I'm really at a lost. Would be open to all/any suggestion! Many thanks!!

caroline0929

Re: Relocating to Singapore

Post by caroline0929 » Thu, 09 May 2019 4:02 pm

I shipped with Moovaz from NY to Singapore using Ocean freight service. It’s a relatively new company but I highly recommend them because:

1) I also had concerns about my furniture but I shouldn’t have had to worry. They were super careful with my items, even had a special wooden crating for my TV. Everything was in mint condition when I received it.

2) The quotes they gave were one of the most affordable after comparing across several companies! There also weren’t any hidden charges which I appreciate.

3) Service was excellent.

This was actually recommended by a friend who previously moved with them as well. Needless to say, both of us were super pleased! Could try giving them a call for quotes :)

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Relocating to Singapore

Post by Brah » Fri, 10 May 2019 11:00 am

Whatever you do, avoid the big company named after an American city, they were awful not once but twice.

I'm trying to remember the shipper I should have used, what was my 2nd choice, one of the big names, I'd know it if I hear it.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.