Singapore Expats

Apply again

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
runsg

Apply again

Post by runsg » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 1:21 pm

Hi,

Received PR rejection letter for my fam in Jan.

Profile:
NZer, 40 years, salary: 90k, PhD, on long term employment pass.
Spouse: Indonesian (not preferred race) 35 years salary: 36k, on dependent pass + LOC
We have two kids 2 & 5 (Dual NZ/Indonesian citizens).
Have lived in Singapore for 2 years.

Have a couple of queries.

1. Should I apply again (keep applying?) or wait?
2. If I apply again does it make a difference if I list my kids as Indonesian or NZers?

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Apply again

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 4:49 pm

Westerners don't have much hope now. The stats are against us because of the lower % of 'others' in the pop'n means a very low approval rate for PR. A year or so ago there were 25,000 PR approvals, probably 2% (500 individuals) would have been 'other' race. Your listing of dual nationalities may count against you along with the harsh reality that ICA is seeing (I think) very few ANZs actually become Singapore Citizens even though ANZs have been taking up PR since the 1980s (I know dozens of ANZ PR's but not a single one has become an SC - plenty of Brits and North Americans do though).

Somewhere along the way PR became a one way stepping stone to SC and ICA tightened their internal evaluation criteria with a question that my lawyer friend put as : "Why would this person actually want to stay in this overpriced shitehole when they could indeed return to a beautiful country that all we have and more?". The correct answer that works is very tight and appears to be limited to family and perhaps business or 'desired persons' reasons.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 5:39 pm

PNGMK wrote:Westerners don't have much hope now. The stats are against us because of the lower % of 'others' in the pop'n means a very low approval rate for PR. A year or so ago there were 25,000 PR approvals, probably 2% (500 individuals) would have been 'other' race. Your listing of dual nationalities may count against you along with the harsh reality that ICA is seeing (I think) very few ANZs actually become Singapore Citizens even though ANZs have been taking up PR since the 1980s (I know dozens of ANZ PR's but not a single one has become an SC - plenty of Brits and North Americans do though).

Somewhere along the way PR became a one way stepping stone to SC and ICA tightened their internal evaluation criteria with a question that my lawyer friend put as : "Why would this person actually want to stay in this overpriced shitehole when they could indeed return to a beautiful country that all we have and more?". The correct answer that works is very tight and appears to be limited to family and perhaps business or 'desired persons' reasons.

Yes, in fact many Singaporeans aspire to emigrate to Australia or New Zealand. There is absolutely no reason for Aussie or NZer to give up their nationality to become SC. Hence giving them PR does not make sense for ICA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runsg

Post by runsg » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I left NZ 15 years ago - too quiet, too cold and no jobs (in my industry), but I get that I am in the minority. I have also yet to many any Australasians who have attained PR in the last few years.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018 11:05 am

There are good reasons to take up SC citizenship. It is a tax haven. ANZ will tax you to death.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

runsg

Post by runsg » Tue, 17 Jul 2018 8:12 pm

Wd40 wrote:There are good reasons to take up SC citizenship. It is a tax haven. ANZ will tax you to death.

Agreed, but PR is the necessary step.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 17 Jul 2018 9:36 pm

Wd40 wrote:There are good reasons to take up SC citizenship. It is a tax haven. ANZ will tax you to death.

Respectfully I'd like to point out that singapore taxes and levies have begun the inevitable climb upwards as the gahmen grapples with taking care of the elderly and less capable here.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:14 am

PNGMK wrote:Westerners don't have much hope now. The stats are against us because of the lower % of 'others' in the pop'n means a very low approval rate for PR. ...(... - plenty of Brits and North Americans do though).
And let's not forget eastern europeans.

There's a reasonably sized group of Russians & other eastern europeans in SG. Quite a few certainly belongs squarely to the "absolutely desirable" category. Some russians have also found SC an attractive option.

The "others" category is indeed very tight...

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:17 am

PNGMK wrote:

Respectfully I'd like to point out that singapore taxes and levies have begun the inevitable climb upwards as the gahmen grapples with taking care of the elderly and less capable here.
I feel sorry for the people on boggleheads forum when I read about tax loss harvesting. Glad we don't have to worry about that.