Singapore Expats

Is Marriage Approval for Work Permit Holder Required Prior to PMLA Application

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
spxie85

Is Marriage Approval for Work Permit Holder Required Prior to PMLA Application

Post by spxie85 » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 9:23 am

As per MOM guidelines at http://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-f ... t-resident, I understand current or former work permit holders are required to seek permission from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) prior to marrying a Singapore Citizen or PR. However, if I am also planning to apply for the Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment (PMLA) with the Immigration & Checkpoint Authority (ICA), could you advise if the Work Permit Marriage Approval from MOM is required before the PMLA application is submitted, or are there no inter-dependencies i.e. one can apply for both in parallel?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Is Marriage Approval for Work Permit Holder Required Prior to PMLA Application

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Apr 2016 11:31 pm

I suggest that you get the approval from the MOM first. Do not file in tandem as just as sure as doG made little green apples, ICA or MOM will sit on the app and the other will not get the info timely so you will be screwed. ICA may give you the pre-marriage LTVP assessment but that is just an assessment. It doesn't mean you will get the ltvp. You need to have the MOM permission in hand to be on the safe side.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

spxie85

Re: Is Marriage Approval for Work Permit Holder Required Prior to PMLA Application

Post by spxie85 » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:56 am

thanks for your advice. I was hoping I could reduce the total amount of waiting time, since PMLA itself will take another 4 weeks.