Singapore Expats

Applying for DP from within SG?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Pinshot

Applying for DP from within SG?

Post by Pinshot » Wed, 03 Feb 2016 8:48 pm

I will move to Singapore in a couple of months. I am also engaged and not sue to marry until shortly before i go to Singapore. I dont believe my employer can apply for my Fiancees DP until we are married. Please correct me if i am wrong.

I wish to know if it is possible to apply for a DP from within country. I imagine i would do something like we both move to SG after the wedding (i on my EP and my then wife on a tourist visa or something) and then apply for the DP once she is there. Would this be ok?

I cannot apply for the DP in advance because we get married on 9th May and i hope to start my new job on 23rd so there will simply not be enough time to process her DP application (we will also have passports with us on our honeymoon).

Any other advice welcome.

x9200

Re: Applying for DP from within SG?

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Feb 2016 11:20 pm

It can be applied for after you are already in Singapore. The only thing you may consider at this stage is to be prepared that your marriage can be seen as a marriage of convenience. While this may not happened, have with you some proofs of a long term cohabitation/being together like utility bills or bank documents showing accounts under both of your names, tickets from trips together, photographs etc etc. Just in case the application is rejected and you need to go for an appeal.