Singapore Expats

Renting/Opening a bank account

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mb25

Renting/Opening a bank account

Post by mb25 » Mon, 08 Jun 2015 5:20 pm

Hi All

First time poster here :D

Myself (26/m) and my girlfriend (28/f) will be moving over to Singapore in August from London. I'll be working in Financial Services and she is a teacher, so will be working for an International School.

I just had a quick query regarding renting and opening a bank account. From what I can see, you need a passport and proof of address (two utility bills) to open a bank account, which is fine. However would you not need a SG bank account in order to rent a place? Just trying to work out what comes first! :???: I presume there'd be a way to sort out a rental agreement without a SG account in the first instance ?

We'd also be keen to speak/meet with any other people relocating, or who have recently moved to SG.

Thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Renting/Opening a bank account

Post by the lynx » Mon, 08 Jun 2015 7:19 pm

When you open a bank account, your IPA for your EP would suffice. The address they will use if your employer's address and you can update that one you get a place.

Same thing for your utility, you can use IPA as well.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk